Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Finance for American Studies Year Abroad watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting mucho confused now....

I'm going to the States this August for my year abroad, and sorting out my Student Finance for next year. Not sure whether to select "Study Abroad" or "Placement in the UK or Abroad".

The person in the study abroad office at my uni says it's placement (an unpaid placement not listed on the PR1 form), STudent Finance England helpline is pretty sure it's Study Abroad (cus it's not a work placement, I'm studyning in an American uni for the year).

And according to the notes, study abroad entitles me to the full amount of loan I normally get (100% as I'm a single independant applicant) at a higher rate, whereas unpaid unlisted placements are only entitled to a reduced rate of maintenance loan. And as this is gonna be expensive, need as much support as I can get.

What did people who went abroad this year put down? And what are other American Studies/equiv courses going abroad being told to select?

ReputationRep:
    I would select the "study abroad" option.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely tick 'study abroad'.

Paid/unpaid placements are generally in the workplace and the study abroad office at your university need to know the difference as it is VERY important as it can affect the amount of funding you are eligible for.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.