Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been wanting to apply for medicine, deadline is October already.

There's just one thing I'm unsure of - disecting human bodies
    Is it just me? because everyone seems to want to do medicine, do they know you have to do this at some point... Also know one ever seems to mention it, bit odd.

I really want to be a doctor and if people died in hospital, I *could* cope. I could do surgery too, it's just the disecting thing. I realise it helps you understand, but I also don't understand :confused: why some people seem to get excited about it. It's such a serious issue. Even at college when people are chucking lambs hearts about :mad:

Should I not apply because of this? I can't imagine disecting one day and going about my life the next. Apparently you have a body and you disect it one stage at a time and you have to half the face with a saw and take the brain out! Sounds like real horror

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)

Is it just me? because everyone seems to want to do medicine, do they know you have to do this at some point... Also know one ever seems to mention it, bit odd.

I really want to be a doctor and if people died in hospital, I *could* cope. I could do surgery too, it's just the disecting thing. I realise it helps you understand, but I also don't understand :confused: why some people seem to get excited about it. It's such a serious issue. Even at college when people are chucking lambs hearts about :mad:

Should I not apply because of this? I can't imagine disecting one day and going about my life the next. Apparently you have a body and you disect it one stage at a time and you have to half the face with a saw and take the brain out! Sounds like real horror
    Not all universities do disection. I'm sure you would get used to it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You get used to it, its a bit weird the first time... Maybe you need to look at why you don't like the idea of it? And whether you feel strongly about it or not. I think if you really hate the idea, and the reason behind that is to deal with cutting dead bodies etc, how will you be able to deal with cutting live people?! I'm sure thats a lot more scary =)

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to do Psychiatry, but that means going for Medicine first. I was all ready to do it, then I found out about the dissections and I changed my mind completely. It's not something I would ever want to do. Weirdly, I'm fine with animal and organ dissections, but I find human body dissections....:puke:
    It's different for everyone; you might get used to it, you might not. I know that I will never be able to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    You get used to it, its a bit weird the first time... Maybe you need to look at why you don't like the idea of it? And whether you feel strongly about it or not. I think if you really hate the idea, and the reason behind that is to deal with cutting dead bodies etc, how will you be able to deal with cutting live people?! I'm sure thats a lot more scary =)
    I think I could do surgery on people, knowing it would help them. It kind of seems like mutilation to dead people though I also wouldn't want to be around the dead really, I think it's different if they were alive, say if you were treating them, then died...

ReputationRep:
    Well, you've got to practice on the dead if you want to start on the living!

Anyway, I guess remember these people have chosen to "donate their bodies to science" as it were. There is a good reason for you to be doing it - saving lives in the future. End of the day it is no different to dissecting an animal.

I also presume that dead bodies willing to be chopped up (well ya know consent when alive) are generally quite hard to get.... so they'd only require you to do it after loads of theory etc and when its really needed.

I think you just need to remember its for a purpose... you aren't just chopping out some dead body for kicks.

ReputationRep:
    Not all med schools do dissection...

ReputationRep:
    I think I could do surgery on people, knowing it would help them. It kind of seems like mutilation to dead people though I also wouldn't want to be around the dead really, I think it's different if they were alive, say if you were treating them, then died...
    But the thing is, could you? How can you be sure? I personally find doing things to alive people much worse, they feel the pain and you can hurt them etc. To be honest the dead people don't really look like people that much.... I dunno, it's easier to dissociate from the fact. Most of the time you forget they're a person kind of thing, where as on live peopel you always very aware of the effect you'll have on them. And you have to remember, all these people have donated themselves.

I dunno, all uni's will require you to deal with at least sections of a real body, and many make you watch dissections or perform your own. I don't think its a definate reason not to do it, so long as you are sure it wont effect other areas, like cutting alive people =P In most cases you can kind of sit back from it. In our dissection group, theres three of us that are doing most of the work because some either don't care or don't feel 100% comfortable doing it. So you could just take a back seat role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t3h_y0u553f)
    Not all med schools do dissection...
    Ever? or just for the first year... apparently liverpool and brighton/sussex don't - but it could mean that

ReputationRep:
    my medic friends seem to really enjoy it. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evanesyne)
    I wanted to do Psychiatry, but that means going for Medicine first. I was all ready to do it, then I found out about the dissections and I changed my mind completely. It's not something I would ever want to do. Weirdly, I'm fine with animal and organ dissections, but I find human body dissections....:puke:
    It's different for everyone; you might get used to it, you might not. I know that I will never be able to do it.
    Yeah! I might not even want to do surgery in the end, maybe become a GP or something else... I don't think I would know if I could until I was there, but I don't really want to drop out then. I don't think I'd ever want to see a days old body

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

No doubt it would be a very weird experience, and I can sympathise with you. I think it would be weird the first few times, but I think you'd get used to it. And secondly, not all universities do dissection at any rate. If everything is good for you with medicine other than dissection I don't think you should let it get you down

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, the best thing to do is to just do it. However bad it makes you feel, you'll have to get used to it. The best way to learn is through dissections and if you don't do it, you're missing out on a really helpful learning opportunity. Once you do it, you'll find it easier to do each time until it's really not a problem anymore. You'll find there's others in the same boat as you so it's not like you'll be the only one standing there looking white as a sheet

ReputationRep:
    find the reason why you don't want to do dissections, talk to any doctors you know (incl GP)....find unis that don't do dissections (although most will do something ie. prosection, if not full on) and apply to them, or...don't apply to medicine

ReputationRep:
    Ever? or just for the first year... apparently liverpool and brighton/sussex don't - but it could mean that
    BSMS do dissection, but there are other uni's that don't, and some use prosection which you may not find so bad?

ReputationRep:
    its really not that bad tbh- they dont look that human so iv never seen anyone freak out with it in my year. it is a great way to learn tho and you should take advantage of it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! I might not even want to do surgery in the end, maybe become a GP or something else... I don't think I would know if I could until I was there, but I don't really want to drop out then. I don't think I'd ever want to see a days old body
    Find out how long and how much you have to do it for. If it's not too much and you're really passionate about becoming a doctor, then by all means grit your teeth and go for it.
    Ah, you should go and see the Body World at the O2 Arena. The whole of my science class went except for me:P It's probably not there anymore, but it would've been a good opportunity to see if you can handle it or not. Not exactly the same, but it's better than not having any experience.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at a uni that does dissection (a lot of it too)- and I hated it so much! I was fine at first, but then couldn't do it any more, so I stopped doing it. I don't think i lost anything from it, and I'm fine with surgery and other stuff. If you really don't like the idea, apply to uni's that don't do it, or just avoid the dissection room. They understood here that some people were grossed out, and try to help you through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blumley)
    its really not that bad tbh- they dont look that human so iv never seen anyone freak out with it in my year. it is a great way to learn tho and you should take advantage of it
    I saw one freak out, someone accidently got a bit of body flicked at them and it went in their mouth or something. Screams in a dissection room are so scary! I nearly fell off my chair.

ReputationRep:

I'd have thought it the best way to learn tbh...especially if your doing surgery.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.