I don't have the money to pay for my accomodation; any ideas of what I can do? Watch

kelpic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by EvilSheep)
I'm pretty sure you - as a student - could get said working permit...
you can get it unless you already are a student.
kelpic
Rep:
?
(Original post by sadie-kiki)
yes...and?
you're just making excuses. If a random person from there with no qualifications from bulgaria can get a work permit to come here and wash cars, you, with presumably post leaving school ones and a place a university, would in all probability be given one too. As far as I can see this thread is attention seeking and you're just not committed enough to get off your backside and work here. Have you even tried to get a work permit? What about in any other european country? As a citizen of an EU member state there are far lower hurdles to jump over to get work, you just need to make the effort.
honey those people who wash cars work illegally and when they're caught they are deported and are not allowed to enter the Uk ever again. wake up!

as for the work permit, I already explained why I can't get one.
hypocriticaljap
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kelpic)
honey those people who wash cars work illegally and when they're caught they are deported and are not allowed to enter the Uk ever again. wake up!

as for the work permit, I already explained why I can't get one.
an EU national can't be deported!
gm15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Romanian/bulgarian students have to apply for a registration certificate to wok up to 20 hours a week or to work more an Accession Worker Card.

OP as a university student you are highly unlikely to get your application for either rejected. Or have you already tried and been rejected?
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...ssnationals#Q3

'Can I work in the UK if I am studying?
Yes. You can work in the UK during or after finishing your studies, although you may need to register as a worker under the Worker Registration Scheme or comply with the requirements for Bulgarian or Romanian workers (see below).'

Scroll down and read the bit about Bulgarians and Romanians. You can work here.

I very much doubt that you'll get given enough money from the university to live on, and I also doubt that you'll earn enough to live on from a part-time job.

Have a look here too:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/wo...ia/liveworkuk/
Last edited by *River; 8 years ago
kelpic
Rep:
?
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
an EU national can't be deported!
deported is not the right word. they can be banned from entering the UK
kelpic
Rep:
?
(Original post by gm15)
Romanian/bulgarian students have to apply for a registration certificate to wok up to 20 hours a week or to work more an Accession Worker Card.

OP as a university student you are highly unlikely to get your application for either rejected. Or have you already tried and been rejected?
I'm not a uni student yet.
gm15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kelpic)
I'm not a uni student yet.
I'm no expert but surely if your place is secure they'd let you apply before you get get here?
kelpic
Rep:
?
(Original post by gm15)
I'm no expert but surely if your place is secure they'd let you apply before you get get here?
nope, you have to be a student for one year before you apply.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I want to do a Masters at LSE but I can't afford the fees or pay for accommodation in London.

Do you think if I start anyway that LSE will help me out? Would they have a policy that nobody would be forced to drop out due to financial reasons?
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
I want to do a Masters at LSE but I can't afford the fees or pay for accommodation in London.

Do you think if I start anyway that LSE will help me out? Would they have a policy that nobody would be forced to drop out due to financial reasons?
No - otherwise people wouldn't get themselves into thousands of pounds of debt if they knew the university would help them out. There's a lot more help at undergraduate level.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No chance. There is no help available for masters.
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think there's any help available at undergrad either.

Sure most universities have a hardship fund or something whereby they can provide a short term loan of a few hundred quid to get you through the end of term before you pay it back. However what the OP here wants, which is to come over knowing he can't afford it, and hope that someone will bail him out while he's here, is living in a dream world. In the current crisis of funding, universities will say pay up or clear off.
luciantodoran
Report 8 years ago
Dear Kelpic,

1. You can cover all your costs with
-(a) the tuition fee loan that covers the tuition fees in full
-(b) a part-time job
-(c) a nonrefundable grant from Student Finace England of ca. £2000 which you will receive as a EEA migrant worker
-(d) (if you wish) a loan for maintenance from Student Finace England.

The money will be enough for survival unless you want to spend a lot of money on bars and alcohol as some students do.

You will be able to find part-time work as a waiter, for instance, quickly, especially through an agency. You can arrange, if you live in halls of residence, to defer the payment of your accommodation fees till you have the money; they are sympathetic if you tell them in advance. For small sums (several hundred pounds), universities have some hardship funds, some of them especially for international students.

It is true, you need a registration certificate to work and you get that work permit in more than a month (they are very slow...). Working illegally is an awkward situation and is not advised.

Make sure you put the student advisers at your university at work with clear questions so that they cannot avoid them. They are there to help students. If their answers are not useful, tell them politely. They will answer back with clarifications.

Check with the border agency whether they can accept your application based only on your letter of acceptance by the university and not enrollment: [email protected] ov.uk

I hope that this helps a bit.
kelpic
Rep:
?
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
I don't think there's any help available at undergrad either.

Sure most universities have a hardship fund or something whereby they can provide a short term loan of a few hundred quid to get you through the end of term before you pay it back. However what the OP here wants, which is to come over knowing he can't afford it, and hope that someone will bail him out while he's here, is living in a dream world. In the current crisis of funding, universities will say pay up or clear off.
um...I don't expect anyone to bill me out. I was just hoping the uni would differ my entry for a year. L
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Most unis will allow you to defer entry for a year. If you have the cash then, then you will be fine. Many many British postgrads apply on deferred entry and save money for a year.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (809)
90.59%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (84)
9.41%

Watched Threads