Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I don't have the money to pay for my accomodation; any ideas of what I can do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So yeah...I got an unconditional offer from one of the unis I applied to but I don't like DON'T have the money to pay for my accommodation. And no, my parents CAN'T help me. I also can't get a job and pay rent because I'm not a British citizen...because if you're not a UK citizen you need a work permit in order to get a job...and it's almost impossible to get a work permit if you're not already a student.

Any suggestions of what I can do other than hang myself, shoot myself, put a needle in my eye etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelpic)
    So yeah...I got an unconditional offer from one of the unis I applied to but I don't like DON'T have the money to pay for my accommodation. And no, my parents CAN'T help me. I also can't get a job and pay rent because I'm not a British citizen...because if you're not a UK citizen you need a work permit in order to get a job...and it's almost impossible to get a work permit if you're not already a student.

Any suggestions of what I can do other than hang myself, shoot myself, put a needle in my eye etc?
    Firstly contact the university to see if they have any bursaries or grants that you are eligible for. Are you eligible for a student loan?

(Original post by eligibility criteria)
    To qualify for student finance as a student from England, you will need to meet all of the residence requirements. Generally, on the first day of the academic year in which your course starts, you must:

* be a UK national or have 'settled status' in the UK (under the terms of the Immigration Act 1971)
    * be ‘ordinarily resident’ in England
    * have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before starting the course - and not wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education

Students who are settled in the UK may also be eligible if they have exercised a right of residence in the EEA or Switzerland before returning to the UK to study.

You’re 'ordinarily resident' somewhere if it’s where you normally live. It doesn’t matter if you’re out of the country temporarily from time to time.

'Settled status' means that there are no immigration restrictions on how long you can stay in the UK.

But this doesn’t cover all circumstances - even if you don’t meet these criteria, you may still qualify for student finance.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...rted/DG_171575

Failing this, if you really can't pay and your parents can't either then a commercial loan would seem to be your only option? I assume your home country does not provide any sort of financial support like a student loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelpic)

You are allowed to work. Not automatically but you can apply
    If you are a student in the UK, you can engage in employment for up to 20 hours a week during term time and full time work during vacation periods from your course without obtaining an Accession Worker Card!

However, you must first obtain a Registration Certificate confirming that you are exercising a Treaty Right as a student. To apply for a registration certificate you should use application form BR1, which will get you a Yellow Card.

If you wish to work for more than 20 hours a week during term time you will need to obtain an Accession Worker Card for this purpose, unless the work is part of your vocational training.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.