Turn on thread page Beta

Is Media Studies really a soft subject? Are people not just being prejudiced? watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    spare time.
    But that depends what people do in their spare time and how much spare time a person has. If someone is doing something creatrive that needs more time than something else that is not enjoyed as much then, the creative subject needs tio be done alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouExperienced?)
    now if I was to post that, some moderator woudl give me a warning and say I was spamming. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    i think that it was a perfectly reasonable response, the length of which perfectly demonstrated my nonchalance.

that even rhymed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaspberryHaze)
    I love the way the person doing A-Level General Studies considers English to be a soft subject...
    Bravo :yep: I was lining up to verbally *****-slap the OP but I'll save it for someone who could make a coherent reply.

ReputationRep:
    It's not an academic subject XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chebanana)
    Bravo I was lining up to verbally *****-slap the OP but I'll save it for someone who could make a coherent reply.
    Many colleges and 6th forms have general studies or critical thinking as a mandatory 4th, 5th, or 6th subject. In the college that my friend went to, they all had to do either GS or CT in their first year

ReputationRep:
    Because 'mordern' texts are much easier to study usually than older texts and are not considered so 'high' class (for lack of a better term).

You do not generally need a media studies degree to get those sort of jobs... many English graduates go on to obtain good jobs in that area, as do graduates from other subjects.

Media studies is likely an interesting degree, but easier... and I can see why some may not view it as highly as other degree subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's a soft subject, I know some friend (including a very close one) doing it and say it's very hard..
    Unis generally don't like it. Having said that, my friend who I mentioned above has applied this year to do Media and Communication/Cultural Studies and already received offers from Leicester, Lough, Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)
    I wouldn't say it's a soft subject, I know some friend (including a very close one) doing it and say it's very hard..
    Unis generally don't like it. Having said that, my friend who I mentioned above has applied this year to do Media and Communication/Cultural Studies and already received offers from Leicester, Lough, Newcastle
    How come if Uni's don't like it people who do media that I know have got into relatively unrelated courses at very good uni's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    How come if Uni's don't like it people who do media that I know have got into relatively unrelated courses at very good uni's?
    Unis make offers based on a lot of factors, subject choices is just one of them I suppose. Maybe he also has other subjects which are more respectful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaspberryHaze)
    I love the way the person doing A-Level General Studies considers English to be a soft subject...
    You think anyone chooses to do that? It was compulsory... and easy.

Tbh I think even Geography is a soft subject - you just read the paper every day, then write some essays in June.

ReputationRep:
    Media is a definitely a soft subject...

The people I know who take it even say that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Many colleges and 6th forms have general studies or critical thinking as a mandatory 4th, 5th, or 6th subject. In the college that my friend went to, they all had to do either GS or CT in their first year
    Fair enough, but that doesn't excuse the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob247)
    Several students who took media studies in my school have gotten accepted into Oxbridge.

Still have not finalised my a level choices.
    Though those Oxford and Cambridge offers were made for their other subjects. ie They do four subjects (X, Y, Z and Media). Their offers were A*AA/AAA in XYZ, with Media being completely ignored.

ReputationRep:
    All I know is our school stopped teaching Media Studies as a subject(GCSE/A-Level) because they said it was a waste of time and students shouldnt be "weighted down with such useless subjects".
    Its a privately funded school btw so I doubt cost was an issue, a lot of the teachers felt that it was a joke and detrimental to the students who took it, I think the English Department was actually quite upset that they even had to share a block with the Media Studies department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)
    Unis make offers based on a lot of factors, subject choices is just one of them I suppose. Maybe he also has other subjects which are more respectful?
    But lyk wudnt avin media just destory a whole application????????!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taheki)
    You think anyone chooses to do that? It was compulsory... and easy.

Tbh I think even Geography is a soft subject - you just read the paper every day, then write some essays in June.
    I have to agree with you that English Lit is quite easy. In my first year I didn't do any wider reading and got 92.5% in the final exam and an A in the coursework.
    The only time you really need to work hard is for coursework and just before the exam. All the other time it's a doss. I'm quite surprised that English A-level has such a strong reputation, I mean it's not the easiest subject, but is by no means the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the subject itself is soft, but the people who do it are the ones who create this perception. The brutal fact is, the majority studying media studies aren't doing it because it's their no.1 choice of all fields, but because they have very little other alternatives.

I know a few people who did media related degrees and they're doing very well in the media industry. The simple fact is this, if you're genuinely good at what you do you'll do really well in life regardless of your field.

Although ofcourse statistically speaking, courses like media studies have lower salaries and career prospects relative to other fields. However, a person who is extremely skilled with media and is at the forefront of media studies may well go onto highly regarded well paying jobs in the media industry.

I do think though that for the majority of media students, going to university is definately not a good investment (both financially and in terms of time/effort) because if they're not genuinely good enough to make something of it (which is usually the case) then they won't benefit much from having the degree.
    There is the argument that not all students go to uni for the investment into their careers/salary but because they want to learn, but as already mentioned the majority of media students aren't there because they're passionate about the field itself.

ReputationRep:
    IMO maths is a soft subject.
    so weather somthing is really a soft subject depends upon the person and how they learn.
    weather unis think media is a soft subject is different and there is no anount of tsr posting/arguing that will change that.

if you tke media studies as an Alevel you have to accept that some unis/courses will see it as a weak chioce weather you agree with that or not.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.