Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Far Would You Go To Stay Alive? watch

• View Poll Results: So, How Far Would You Go?
    Nothing - Id Rather Die!
    10.87%
    Eat Thirty Rats
    7.07%
    Eat A Dead Mans Leg
    7.07%
    Chop Off A Limb And Eat It
    4.35%
    Press A Button, Killing A Random Person In The World
    51.09%
    Kill You Best Friend In Thier Sleep
    2.17%
    Kill You Best Friend, While They Are Awake...
    17.39%

ReputationRep:
    I'd be so rubbish in a disaster situation.
    I've already accepted that should there be a zombie killer attack or something, I'm going to give myself up rather than fight, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    The only one I would do is Press A Button, Killing A Random Person In The World.

How is cutting off my own limbs and eating them better for me than the button?
    Ehh, some people would chop off a limb before pushing the button.
    But ofsouse I cant anticipate everyones response, people will place these in different orders, I just happend to go on my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I would do anything to keep myself alive. It makes sense really, I couldn't give a crap what happens after i'm dead.

ReputationRep:
    Puke on Deborah's desk and/or chop my balls off.

ReputationRep:
    Mass genocide is my limit, I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'd kill my BFF in their sleep. It was that or the button option but that could potentially mean any one of my family members and I don't think I could stay alive for that reason.

I picked press a button but I'm surprised that more people picked kill best friend when their awake than when they sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I chose the last one, killing a friend who's awake. Going along with the OP's ranking system, it was the worst, so I didn't choose the one I most wanted to do - pushing a button - I chose the worst one I'd be willing to do - kill the friend. If you see what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    tbh I would "Press A Button, Killing A Random Person In The World" Simplest way.

ReputationRep:
    because you know what youd do when you arent in the situation....
    stupid thread

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone actually knows how they would react in a survival situation until they actually find themselves in one. Also, the poll options strike me as rather arbitrary.

The instinct to survive is strong, and I imagine it is stronger in today's apparently individualistic society where nationalism and other -isms are no longer there to compete with it for loyalty. I doubt many people would die for their country rather than damage its interests, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    because you know what youd do when you arent in the situation....
    stupid thread
    Its thought provoking and better than most the threads runing at the moment - eg "anyone else envy fat people" and "board of haiti"

Becides, no one is forcing you to be on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    I don't think anyone actually knows how they would react in a survival situation until they actually find themselves in one. Also, the poll options strike me as rather arbitrary.

The instinct to survive is strong, and I imagine it is stronger in today's apparently individualistic society where nationalism and other -isms are no longer there to compete with it for loyalty. I doubt many people would die for their country rather than damage its interests, for example.
    Ofcourse, im not doughting that the overall opinions people have now, sitting behind thier computers, will be gone in a puff of smoke in real life - But its an iteresting thought we should all ask ourselfs sometimes.
    I voted for "eat a dead mans leg" however in reality i may chose otherwise.

The poll was put together on my ideas of transitonal "horrors", however, im sure they differ between people, out of intrest what options would you poll?

ReputationRep:
    I'd do anything to stay alive. That involves killing family, wiping out a country etc.

ReputationRep:
    The button.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *theKid*)
    The button.
    My finger, is on the button...
    Duh, duh -du du duh....
    "on the button"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Ofcourse, im not doughting that the overall opinions people have now, sitting behind thier computers, will be gone in a puff of smoke in real life - But its an iteresting thought we should all ask ourselfs sometimes.
    I voted for "eat a dead mans leg" however in reality i may chose otherwise.

The poll was put together on my ideas of transitonal "horrors", however, im sure they differ between people, out of intrest what options would you poll?
    To be honest I don't know what I'd put up as a poll. It would be more specific and have fewer options though.

Perhaps I would define a particular situation and then ask 'Would you kill to survive this?' For example, you are attacked by a man wielding a knife: do you defend yourself to the point where you will simply disarm him, or will you not think about how much injury you might cause him while defending yourself? Or another situation - you are caught in a crossfire with a good friend: do you think first of putting yourself out of harm's way, or would you think of your friend's safety first? This might take the form of pushing them to the floor or even putting yourself between them and the bullets, or on the other side using them as a shield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    my best friend and i have made a deal that if ever a situation arises in which we are stranded at sea/lost in the desert/lost in the rainforest or something, and the other died, we have permission to eat them in order to stay alive

she's the best
    :laugh: how the hell dose that even come up in a convosation??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    To be honest I don't know what I'd put up as a poll. It would be more specific and have fewer options though.

Perhaps I would define a particular situation and then ask 'Would you kill to survive this?' For example, you are attacked by a man wielding a knife: do you defend yourself to the point where you will simply disarm him, or will you not think about how much injury you might cause him while defending yourself? Or another situation - you are caught in a crossfire with a good friend: do you think first of putting yourself out of harm's way, or would you think of your friend's safety first? This might take the form of pushing them to the floor or even putting yourself between them and the bullets, or on the other side using them as a shield.
    Yes, those would be two more specific situations that would allow for more complex answers. I just threw this together on a conversation I had had with a freind about wether humanity is doing everything possable to survive, or is humanity the ability to lay down your life? (Intresting disscusion topic actuly)

If I was to re-do this, which I proberly will not, I would have more extreem options, as those seem to be in demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Ok. Bit of a situation your in.

Your on an island. You will be saved. However, how far would you go to survive?

As you go down the poll, they are suposed to increase in horror. However peoples opinions will differ.
    Erm..i heard rats taste like pork. Not that i know or taste but eating rats all in one go or...day by day, i'd probably puke just eating one.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.