Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are History, Maths, English Lit and Philosophy good subjects to study at A level? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think I want to go to university to train to be a teacher, but I want to keep my options open, so are these good subjects to study?

Also, I'm sure that I want to study History because I'm doing it at GCSE and it's great and English Lit's important to study and I think I'll be able to handle the workload.

It's Maths and Philosophy I'm worried about
    I did part of an as course for Maths and I know the works quite difficult, but we never finished the course because our school wants us to re take our GCSES. I'm retaking my Maths GCSE and I'm predicted an A so that should be ok. Has anyone studied Maths at a level? If so, what did you get a GCSE and did you find a level too difficult?

And has anybody studied philopsophy? Are there a lot of debates or is it all coursework/ exams?

ReputationRep:
    I do History, English Lit and Maths. I love History, and dependent on which book we are doing I also love English lit. They compliment each other nicely and are good fun.

Maths, can be challenging but if you make sure you understand everything as you go along and practice lots you should be alright. I'm still doing my AS but I just missed an A* at GCSE, and I'm not finding it overly difficult, partly because anything that I'm not fully sure of I do ask lots of questions about.

I don't do philosophy so can't comment o nit :no: but I'd definitely reccomend the other three to you

ReputationRep:
    Quality choices :top:

ReputationRep:
    I did religious Studies, but i focused alot on philosophy,

you debate in class and in the exam it said a statement like "We are never free" and then you write philosophers that agree with it, add quotes and evaluate their argument, and then vice versa. I found it really interesting as its subjective, but not sure if its the same for pure philosophy. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    They sound like great choices. Maths seems scary but keep calm and you should be fine.

A lot of my friends do philosophy and from what I've heard you have discussions about ethics and stuff but you also have to learn the theories of philosophers like Plato, Socrates, Neitzche etc. I wish I'd done it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I do History, English Lit and Philosophy. They're all excellent subjects, but if you're worried about Philosophy, don't be. Everyone's new to it at first and you soon get the hang of arguing well and fluidly. There are sort of class discussions but they're very informal, essentially it's just conversation, there's no expectation for you to comment. The hardest thing you'll deal with is writing good essays; they need to be logical, coherent and well-argued, as I (like you) am an English/History fanatic, I found I had to reel in all you might call "flair"; essentially, philosophy is all about assessing different arguments and then coming to a conclusion that is well-balanced and argued. If you're confident with Maths then you'll probably find the logical process of arguing quite straightforward, though I can't comment on the subject itself. I hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clp123)
    I think I want to go to university to train to be a teacher, but I want to keep my options open, so are these good subjects to study?

Also, I'm sure that I want to study History because I'm doing it at GCSE and it's great and English Lit's important to study and I think I'll be able to handle the workload.

I did part of an as course for Maths and I know the works quite difficult, but we never finished the course because our school wants us to re take our GCSES. I'm retaking my Maths GCSE and I'm predicted an A so that should be ok. Has anyone studied Maths at a level? If so, what did you get a GCSE and did you find a level too difficult?

And has anybody studied philopsophy? Are there a lot of debates or is it all coursework/ exams?
    Very good combination. I study History and it really is amazing! The A2 year is sooo good! I absolutely love it because you get to do your own research project! English Lit is very complimentary and your essay skills should improve taking both subjects. However, I found English Lit GCSE very different to AS level, for some reason my teacher insisted that we all had to change our writing styles and so no one really got a very good mark because everyone was very confused May just be my teacher though...

Maths will probably be a bit easier once you've re-taken your GCSE, although I'd possibly work extra hard for it and try and get an A*. It will probably help with your confidence. However, I think Maths is one of those subjects that you just have to work at to understand and once you've grasped it you'll be well on your way! I know someone who got a C at GCSE Maths who got a B at AS level Maths.

Also, I think Philosophy will depend on which board you study, but it may be like History where the first year is very exam and fact orientated, but at A2 it may focus more on debates. I'm doing a whole module on different debates in a period of History, so it may be similar to that

ReputationRep:
    I did Philosophy and personally loved it (going on to study it as my degree)
    Yep my lessons were filled with debates and discussions, though depending your class they can end up a little one sided, for example due the lack of Christians or anyone religious in my class debates involving religion ended pretty quickly with the whole class leaning to an Atheist answer. But on other subjects, opinions were split far more and it certainly added to a lesson I already enjoyed. I'd definitely advise you to do, and your other choices seem quite balanced so yeah good choices. (I can only comment on Lit, which is fine if you like it, I was a bit non-plussed by it, it was something to go to that was quite easy)

ReputationRep:
    I do History, Philosphy and Ethics, Eng Lit & Lang and Biology.
    I really like the recent history side of the History course, but I really dont understand all the Wars of the Roses rubbish. HOwever, I didnt do it at GCSe, so if you're really enjoying then go for it.
    Eng L&L is alright, and apparently is seen as a "better" A level than either Lit or Lang separately, but if you love reading then you should enjoy. It will be LOTS of reading!
    My Philosophy and Ethics course is no cwk, and is spilt into two parts - Ethical theories such as Kant, Natural Law etc with applied ethics, and then Traditional philososphers, Ancient Greeks etc and arguements for the existence of God. Its okay but qiute heavy and a lot of reading.
    And you're not interested in Bio so it doesnt matter.
    I got A* at maths GCSE but would never ever consider doing it a A Level. I hate maths!
    Hope things go well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I do History, English Lit and Maths. I love History, and dependent on which book we are doing I also love English lit. They compliment each other nicely and are good fun.

Maths, can be challenging but if you make sure you understand everything as you go along and practice lots you should be alright. I'm still doing my AS but I just missed an A* at GCSE, and I'm not finding it overly difficult, partly because anything that I'm not fully sure of I do ask lots of questions about.

I don't do philosophy so can't comment o nit :no: but I'd definitely reccomend the other three to you
    How are you an AS student, yet you still have time to moderate this forum? Have you ever moderated me? :holmes:

ReputationRep:

History and English Lit compliment each other very well, I love them both!
    History I adore so far! I love The British Politics especially. Gradually becoming keener on Wars of The Roses and Henry VII.
    English Lit isn't that much work, but it's very independant. You need to read the books and devote time to them because it's not like GCSE where you read it as a class.
    Philosophy I despise. I loved RS at GCSE level. My school offers it as Philosophy and Ethics. Ethics I adore, Philosophy however not so much. I think it's mainly due to my teacher though. Talk to somebody in your school perhaps that studies any of those and see what they think? Philosophy in my school is 100% exams and doesn't have many debates. Ethics is the debating subject.
    My friends doing maths are finding it incredibly difficult, they're very good A level choices though.

ReputationRep:

Don't pick all the easy ones
    Universities'll think youre crap

ReputationRep:
    They are a very common and excellent choice of subjects.

I only do maths and can't really comment on how you'll find it because maths is really my strong point but for you it'll show the universities that you can handle something different and should be a bit refreshing compared to all the essays you'll have to write in your other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    to what extent was change in russia in the period of 1855-1964 due to the involvment of war?

realy neeed help!! x

ReputationRep:
    I love history, i had to work incredibly hard in GCSE because i was in such a low set to get a B.. theres a massive differenence from GCSE to A-level so be aware of this before you start.

I also do English Lit, its a good subject (this might sound stupid) but be prepared to read... it's shocked me how quickly my class moves on to different books almost every two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I did General Studies, English, Philosophy and Mathematics at A-Level and got A, B, B, D.

Maths was a bit of a disappointment as I had got A at GCSE Level.

Mathematics may be looked upon very favourably by some universities as a challenging subject and it complements Philosophy because of logic. However, I found it a hard subject at A-Level and, if you are more of an arty person, I could only personally recommend doing Maths at A-Level if you intend to go on to do Maths or Philosophy at degree level - because you'd need to learn all about logic then. If you were going to become a lawyer, I suspect that Maths might look good if you do well in it.

I loved Philosophy at A-Level because it seemed as much about learning the characters who came up with these theories and being allowed to identify the flaws and merits in these vernerated thinkers logic and then work out which ones you most identify with.

ReputationRep:
    That's a sexy combo right there.

ReputationRep:
    Great combination of subjects.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.