Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 11 and I need to make my A-level choices by Wednesday. I am definitely going to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Critical Thinking (compulsory) and I would like to go into either medicine or biology at university. I am predicted A*s for both ICT and Spanish but I am undecided on which to choose.

I only like half of the ICT work I've done because it was so boring (making a children's book and a sweetshop in year 10) but the work I have done this year has been quite fun (making a business become computer based). I have always liked Spanish because I love learning the language but I find some aspects incredibly hard and I don't know if I would be able to cope at A-level. For computing I have seen that there is a lot of programming involved which I think I would enjoy.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think if you find spanish hard at gcse do not go any further. A level spanish is hard work.
    On the other hand spanish is highly regarded at uni.
    Are you doing any other languages at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Spanish is more respected than computing, but to be honest that shouldn't sway your decision too much. You've got to actually like the subject

source: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

ReputationRep:
    Spanish would be better I think.
    Though which aspects do you find hard? To be honest I knew only two tenses at the end of Y11 for French and German, and I did well last year.

ReputationRep:
    i definetly think spanish is more prestigous that computing...however as an Alevel studentt i know the load can get pretty tough....iv heard that a language, history or physics are the hardest subject...

also remember that spanish opens up a hell of alot more roots than computing does...being able to speak another language always boosts up pay in the field of work

so if it were me id take spnaish

ReputationRep:
    Spanish is extremely useful to know and will probably be more beneficial to learn than I.T (at A-level, anyway.) Plus, like you said languages are undoubtedly enjoyable to learn.

I found French tricky at GCSE but I'm at A2 now and getting by quite nicely. A language requires a substantial amount of effort to get a good grade, obviously, but it is definitely worthwhile. Even if you found it too much at AS level, considering you're interested in medicine/biology anyway you can always drop Spanish after the first year and carry on with your other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Computing IS ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. Take something harder and less boring. ie Chemistry.

In your case Spanish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duckzilla)
    I am definitely going to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Critical Thinking (compulsory) and I would like to go into either medicine or biology at university. I am predicted A*s for both ICT and Spanish but I am undecided on which to choose.
    I would choose spanish as it would undoubtedly prove useful in life (especially as its a popular language) and also, languages are well respected. You could also drop this subject at AS and then future employers would know you have a good knowledge of the subject but you wouldn't be tied down to it for too long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    Computing IS ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. Take something harder and less boring. ie Chemistry.

In your case Spanish
    Had you read my post you would know that I said I am definitely taking Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duckzilla)
    Had you read my post you would know that I said I am definitely taking Chemistry, Biology and Maths.
    Thats why I said 'in your case' I used Chemistry as a reference because I wish that I had taken that instead of computing.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try Spanish?

I would.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.