Turn on thread page Beta

Prescriptions and HC3 form - Help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm currently a university student living at home. I receive both a bursary (850ish) and the maintenance grant. I completed and sent off the HC1 form 2 weeks ago. I received a HC3 certificate a few days ago which states that I am entitled to certain amount of help with dental treatment and sight tests. However, there is no mention of prescriptions.

So, what I wanted to ask was:
    1) Does this mean I am not entitled to any help with prescription costs?
    2) If I am/could be, what form(s) do I need for this?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrublersBiyatch)
    Hey guys,
    I'm currently a university student living at home. I receive both a bursary (850ish) and the maintenance grant. I completed and sent off the HC1 form 2 weeks ago. I received a HC3 certificate a few days ago which states that I am entitled to certain amount of help with dental treatment and sight tests. However, there is no mention of prescriptions.

So, what I wanted to ask was:
    1) Does this mean I am not entitled to any help with prescription costs?
    2) If I am/could be, what form(s) do I need for this?

Thanks.
    As I understand it, they don't just assess your income, they assess your requirement for prescriptions:

(Original post by http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx)
    You will qualify for a full help HC2 certificate (which includes free NHS prescriptions) if your income is less than or equal to your requirements, or your income is greater than your requirements by no more than half the current English prescription charge.

You will qualify for a limited help HC3 certificate if your income is greater than your requirements by more than half the current English prescription charge. The HC3 certificate shows how much you have to pay towards your health costs.
    So, whether or not you will get a HC2 will depend on how many prescriptions you have to get. Do you have any current prescription requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adambro)
    So, whether or not you will get a HC2 will depend on how many prescriptions you have to get. Do you have any current prescription requirements?
    No, neither do I have any long standing illnesses that require medication. In line with what you've said (and if my income has been taken into account), I assume I'll have to pay for prescriptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    xx
    Hi, could you please close this thread, I've found out what I needed

ReputationRep:
    Will do. Thread closed.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.