Turn on thread page Beta

Instructor wont let me book my test! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm quite close to taking my test and was just wondering whether I should say something to my instructor, as he seems really reluctant to let me book it. I've been learning for nearly a year now and am at the level where I drive almost independently. I'm good on all the manouevres but have a bit of an issue with a big roundabout near my house, which I've been practising as its on the test route.

In my lesson yesterday, my instructor really annoyed me. He asked me to take a right turn, so I started slowing down and checking mirrors etc, then he suddenly braked the car harshly and said it was my own fault as I 'wasn't slowing down quick enough'. I was annoyed as I had plenty of time and had started braking, but he just spoke over me and said I wouldn't have made it round the corner if he hadn't braked. I felt like he took control away from me when I was capable.

After the lesson, I said I'd like to book my test soon as theres an 8 week waiting list, which means 8 lessons to practice my driving. He said he didn't want to book it now as he wasn't happy with my 'silly mistakes' and mentioned him having to brake earlier (when I felt he didn't need to at all.) He also said I rely on him too much, just because I asked a question to double check something at the roundabout.

I feel a bit like hes milking the situation by picking holes in tiny things so he makes more money out of me. I don't have a job at the moment and I'm feeling pressured financially, so would really like to pass asap. Do you think I should insist he books the test? I think I am capable but he keeps doubting me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie-rose88)
    Hey everyone,

I'm quite close to taking my test and was just wondering whether I should say something to my instructor, as he seems really reluctant to let me book it. I've been learning for nearly a year now and am at the level where I drive almost independently. I'm good on all the manouevres but have a bit of an issue with a big roundabout near my house, which I've been practising as its on the test route.

In my lesson yesterday, my instructor really annoyed me. He asked me to take a right turn, so I started slowing down and checking mirrors etc, then he suddenly braked the car harshly and said it was my own fault as I 'wasn't slowing down quick enough'. I was annoyed as I had plenty of time and had started braking, but he just spoke over me and said I wouldn't have made it round the corner if he hadn't braked. I felt like he took control away from me when I was capable.

After the lesson, I said I'd like to book my test soon as theres an 8 week waiting list, which means 8 lessons to practice my driving. He said he didn't want to book it now as he wasn't happy with my 'silly mistakes' and mentioned him having to brake earlier (when I felt he didn't need to at all.) He also said I rely on him too much, just because I asked a question to double check something at the roundabout.

I feel a bit like hes milking the situation by picking holes in tiny things so he makes more money out of me. I don't have a job at the moment and I'm feeling pressured financially, so would really like to pass asap. Do you think I should insist he books the test? I think I am capable but he keeps doubting me.
    Yes you should insist he books it, my driving instructor has told me a lot of instructors will use silly excuses like an odd mistake for not letting you take your test so basically more lessons = more money for them. I think you need to have a word or change instructors as he sounds like an idiot anyway.

ReputationRep:
    why dont you just book the test yourself he doesnt have to have the approval. my brothers, gf took her test without the instructor even knowing lol

ReputationRep:
    He can't stop you from booking your test. Just book it & if he won't take you find another instructor with the same car who will let you take it in their car.

ReputationRep:
    My friends instructor wouldn't let her book her test (apparently some instructors true and hold it off as long as possible so they can make more money out of you).
    Book one lesson with someone else and get an opinion from them, maybe a family friend or someone a friend can recommend.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just book it yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

The man is clearly scamming you, if you've been driving for a year there is no way you aren't ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sianvygus)
    My friends instructor wouldn't let her book her test (apparently some instructors true and hold it off as long as possible so they can make more money out of you).
    Book one lesson with someone else and get an opinion from them, maybe a family friend or someone a friend can recommend.
    Yep good plan, I did this, having booked my test myself, to double check that I was test-standard and the second instructor seemed just as sure as my normal one that I was gonna pass.

ReputationRep:
    Just book it yourself, if you think you are ready. If your instructer doesn't agree, look for another one.

ReputationRep:
    Don't suppose you can con anyone into putting you on their insurance can you? I passed my test quite a few years ago now but I swear that what caused a big improvement was borrowing my then boyfriend's car (which I was insured for) and taking another friend (who had the license requirement at the time of over 21 with 3 yrs license) out in it. :p: Instead of braking or panicking when I did something daft, he laughed at me and told me to sort it out. That was what I needed... Then again the day of the test the brakes seized and had to be rapidly bodged - I was so concerned about them seizing again that I forgot about my nerves about driving itself...:cool:
    Bear in mind that instructors livelihoods depend on their having their car in one piece, and people not passing too quickly so sometimes they're more cautious than they should be... Personally I feel that dual controlled cars are not really good for learning to drive just for instructor self preservation...
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should book it ^^ he seems to be taking the piss if you have been driving for a year, i have been driving 6 or 7 months and my instructor wants to get rid of me already lol (:

ReputationRep:
    He also said I rely on him too much, just because I asked a question to double check something at the roundabout.
    If you're as experienced as you say you are, the instructor should at least be giving you a shot at things on your own. The right turn incident would reveal a lot had he not braked for you. I know you can't turn back the clock, but ask him to avoid intervention except in an emergency just so you can learn the "worst case scenario". As for the asking to double check, just see what happens if you just trust your instinct and don't ask. If you make a right royal mess of it, then you're just not ready yet. If you cope ok, you can always get a second opinion from another instructor.

(Original post by gingergooner)
    The man is clearly scamming you, if you've been driving for a year there is no way you aren't ready.
    You wouldn't jump to that conclusion so quickly if you saw how hopeless some drivers can be even after a year learning. Not everyone finds it easy and natural. Some seem to be born with two left feet.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

the instructor braked at a right turn and it is his fault!!!
    You are clearly not ready to take a test. You have no judgement.

ReputationRep:
    Book it yourself. He's clearly just scamming you.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.