Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an invite to attend an interview after I sent my project, but Im wondering how many people Im up against exactly.

The information page first says "Having successfully undertaken the recent sent project, the Foundation course team would now like to invite you for an interview..."
    and later "As the number of applications to this course is high (over 500 applications for approximately 110 places) we strongly advise that you attend your scheduled interview."

Can anyone tell me whether this means that Falmouth gives everyone an interview who completes the project, or do they sort out after the project already?
    It seems to be kept a bit fuzzy.

Id really appreciate it if someone could help me here.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine they interview the people who they thought did the best in the projects as they won't be able to interview everyone, so well done for getting an interview.

ReputationRep:
    They only do a certain number of days of interviews, so I expect they look for the number to fill up the time they have allotted for interviews. Congratulations on the interview though! what day is yours? I've got mine on Wednesday 17th of Febuary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare.is.rice)
    They only do a certain number of days of interviews, so I expect they look for the number to fill up the time they have allotted for interviews. Congratulations on the interview though! what day is yours? I've got mine on Wednesday 17th of Febuary.

Congrats to you too.
    Im so glad the work payed off, it certainly stressed me out quite a bit. Im excited but scared!
    Ill be there on Thursday the 25th.

Im guessing 500 people applied to the project, so they give out this number even though not all of them will get an interview (since people are sending in their applications and getting the project guidelines over a span of a couple months).

Is it your first wish, did you apply anywhere else?

ReputationRep:
    It's my first choice at the moment. But I've also applied to Loughborough, Edinburgh college of art and a few other places. I got my first offer today from Reading!

I have a feeling that my interview at Falmouth didn't go so well, it was really short and I didn't say any of the things I'd meant to, but I got the impression that the portfolio was more important so who knows.

I'm also living in Germany at the moment by the way (Düsseldorf), so I guess we're in a similar situation. I asked at the interview (or "informal chat" as they call it) how many international students they get on the course, she said it varies but this year they've had a few from Germany as well.

ReputationRep:
    Neat, so what are you doing in Germany, are you German, or just living there temporarily?
    I've heard that the people looking at portfolios from Falmouth can be a bit snobbish, did you have that impression, too?
    Congrats to that acceptance, that must be a relief I've been stressing out about it a bit.
    Maybe we'll both end up at Falmouth in the end

ReputationRep:
    I'm English but my dad's job got moved here about six years ago, actually I've lived for longer outside the uk than in it by now.
    The thing about the interview for the foundation at Falmouth is they look at your portfolio without you even being in the same room. When I had my actual interview part the lady didn't even mention whether or not she had seen my portfolio, so I got absolutely no feedback about it. At the interview I spent most of the time doing the project and chatting to the other candidates, in a way it was nice and relaxed.

Its a great relief to have somewhere, but I am getting my doubts as to whether the course is right for me. I guess I should wait I know from more places before I try and make a decision.
    where else have you applied?

ReputationRep:
    I applied at Oxford Brookes, Loughborough and Birmingham Institute of Art. They were all sort of random choices - I honestly can't remember why I decided on these ones. The only one that really appealed was Falmouth.

Im not originally from Germany either - my family moved here 7 years ago from the States.

Well we should let each other know if we get in, then we'll at least already know someone.
    Did you do things like Mappenvorbereitungskurse and stuff and did you go to German school, btw?

ReputationRep:
    Actually I did my portfolio pretty much by myself, i did ask my art teacher what he thought once I was done though.
    I go to an international school, how about you?
    Yes we should, wouldn't it be great if we both got into Falmouth

By the way Loughbourogh is really good to, it's fourth on the uk league tables for Art and Design and they actually have way better facilities than Falmouth for the foundation course. However I think part of me is just in love with the idea of being by the sea plus one of the student said its the warmest part of the UK, and you get way more sun there than anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    i just received my offer and accepted two days ago (currently in aus(live in the uk)), i was quite nervous as I only applied to falmouth as I really like the area/ the really good course. I had an early interview (end of jan)which went well. It scared me a little that I couldnt talk them through my portfolio but the lady I talked with looked through it after it was given back to me which was nice but they said they dont normaly do that.

I didnt have a problem with the talk really infact I quite enjoyed it maybe because it was a one to one thing (did others have group interviews?)

best of luck to everyone who applied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tpyo)
    i just received my offer and accepted two days ago (currently in aus(live in the uk)), i was quite nervous as I only applied to falmouth as I really like the area/ the really good course. I had an early interview (end of jan)which went well. It scared me a little that I couldnt talk them through my portfolio but the lady I talked with looked through it after it was given back to me which was nice but they said they dont normaly do that.

I didnt have a problem with the talk really infact I quite enjoyed it maybe because it was a one to one thing (did others have group interviews?)

best of luck to everyone who applied
    I got an offer last week and Im going to accept too

ReputationRep:
    congrats sayward! will see in September, look out for the tall hairy scruffy guy and that will be me.

I wonder when we will hear about the summer project, hoping they give that out in june/julyish when Im back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tpyo)
    congrats sayward! will see in September, look out for the tall hairy scruffy guy and that will be me.

I wonder when we will hear about the summer project, hoping they give that out in june/julyish when Im back
    Thanks, congratulations to you, too!

I'm looking forward to it so much, the last few months were so stressful...
    The whole interview process was so scary, too. Everyone was dressed up so artsy and I just couldn't imagine getting in in the face of all those people.

What are you doing in Australia? Gap year?
    Are you going to apply to stay in Tuke House or have you not looked into all that stuff yet?

Im the girl with the shoulder-length red hair, I'll probably be wearing blue :P

ReputationRep:
    Having a gap year in oz, in melbourne at the mo with my girlfriend the art vibe is amazing here, so much of it around (little cafes with exhibitions wicked street art) everyone ride vintage bicycles and there are so many things to do- will be a shame to leave but must move on!

I will probably apply to tuke house being as thats where it seems everyone on the foundation course is. but I havent looked into it that much if Im honest but Im back in July so plently of time to sort all that out (I hope ha!)

see ya soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tpyo)
    Having a gap year in oz, in melbourne at the mo with my girlfriend the art vibe is amazing here, so much of it around (little cafes with exhibitions wicked street art) everyone ride vintage bicycles and there are so many things to do- will be a shame to leave but must move on!

I will probably apply to tuke house being as thats where it seems everyone on the foundation course is. but I havent looked into it that much if Im honest but Im back in July so plently of time to sort all that out (I hope ha!)

see ya soon
    How awesome, I'm going to have to make it out there someday... I was born in Australia but we moved before I could remember anything - so that hardly counts!

You better keep an eye on the accomadation stuff, we have to make a 300 pound deposit end of May or in June if we want a spot at Tuke House

ReputationRep:
    eekk! thanks for warning me, did you get an email about that or knew beforehand? hope they do send out some info about accommodation before its too late..

Thats pretty cool! do you still have an oz passport? as traveling would become a breeze with one.

ReputationRep:
    I dont actually know! My birth certificate is there so I spose I could apply for one, I havent looked into it though since I havent needed it so far.

Ok, so I couldnt find the page where I read that anymore, but we def have to apply by the end of June. In my offer they said they'd contact us about acommadation after Easter, so I spose that should be any day now...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.