Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel so sad and I don't know how to fix myself.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to friends and family about things. Or at least explain why you feel broken.

I don't want to talk to my family, they've already had to deal with my problems enough. I don't feel like I have any real friends I can talk to either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't want to talk to my family, they've already had to deal with my problems enough. I don't feel like I have any real friends I can talk to either.
    Counsellor?

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    Counsellor?
    I've already tried and it just made things worse.

ReputationRep:
    Find someone to talk to on here, privately. I'm sure there's a bunch of nice people on here willing to have a chat to you if you don't feel you can publicly talk about it (on here, to friends or family)

A lot of the time consellors won't help at all, they only work for some people. Not everyone feels they have friends they can confide in and some people would never talk to their families about deep problems.

ReputationRep:
    Samaritans. Honestly.

ReputationRep:
    Broken things can be fixed, it just takes time It would help to know why you are feeling like this though.

It's lots of things. I've had an eating disorder for about 4 years, one point it was really bad, I'm better but just willing for it to come back and be worse and I think it is.
    I used to self harm and I'm getting really strong urges to hurt myself again.
    I drink so much everytime I go out, I just want to forget about everything and maybe get some male attention at the same time.
    I can never seem to keep friends.
    I'm so lonely, I want to be in love so badly.
    I thought I was in love, I know how pathetic it sounds but I'd met someone online and we had talked for nearly 3 years. We both went on webcam, phone calls all the time, texts and he said he loved me first. We had everything in common and I thought we were perfect for eachother. So on my 18th birthday I got driven to where he lived; 8 hours away from me. I was waiting and waiting but he never turned up. He called me and told me he was too scared I wouldnt like him when I saw him and didnt want to lose me. The next morning he said he'd come, but I'd already left because my heart was broken. Yet a year and a half later we still occasionally talk and he keeps trying to call me. I love him so much, so, so, so much. I just want to tell him I forgive him but I can never get over it and I know I shouldnt. It hurts so badly.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: It will get better one day; I promise.

I know you've said counselling made things worse, but how long ago was it? I've had a few awful experiences with it in the past but when I tried it again, I found it really beneficial.

I know you don't me, but if you ever need someone to chat to about anything then you can send me a PM.

Edit: Just read your latest post and I relate to quite a bit of it. If you're struggling with the ED then you really do need to seek help for it, because it won't go away on it's own. EDs/self harm/drinking are usually always a symptom of something else, be that depression or whatever, but the point is you need some support. I can understand how you feel about this guy and that sounds horrible, but if he didn't turn up then.. Perhaps he's not as great as you thought/think he is. Have you told him how you feel? The problem with the internet is that you never know whether people are exactly who/how they say they are. I don't mean that in a 'he's probably forty' way (though he may be..) but it's very easy to exaggerate elements of your personality/similarities in order to bond with people more. It's also incredibly easy to become attached when you're lonely, down and the relationship isn't actually part of 'reality'. I'm not dismissing your feelings, just saying that they're probably made worse by how you feel. But as I said, if you need a chat then I'm here.

I feel so sad and I don't know how to fix myself.
    'Cause I'm breakin', at the seams
    Just like youuuu

:console:
    PM if you want to talk. But be wary of any advice I give you.

ReputationRep:
    Try again? My first counsellor was rubbish. My second and third ones were 5/6 (?) years later and helped loads. Not every counsellor is the same or will suit you. And you're not always ready for counselling.

ReputationRep:
    It's lots of things. I've had an eating disorder for about 4 years, one point it was really bad, I'm better but just willing for it to come back and be worse and I think it is.
    I used to self harm and I'm getting really strong urges to hurt myself again.
    I drink so much everytime I go out, I just want to forget about everything and maybe get some male attention at the same time.
    I can never seem to keep friends.
    I'm so lonely, I want to be in love so badly.
    I thought I was in love, I know how pathetic it sounds but I'd met someone online and we had talked for nearly 3 years. We both went on webcam, phone calls all the time, texts and he said he loved me first. We had everything in common and I thought we were perfect for eachother. So on my 18th birthday I got driven to where he lived; 8 hours away from me. I was waiting and waiting but he never turned up. He called me and told me he was too scared I wouldnt like him when I saw him and didnt want to lose me. The next morning he said he'd come, but I'd already left because my heart was broken. Yet a year and a half later we still occasionally talk and he keeps trying to call me. I love him so much, so, so, so much. I just want to tell him I forgive him but I can never get over it and I know I shouldnt. It hurts so badly.
    Give the guy another chance. Make him come to you this time though.
    When I was at my lowest, I met a friend online who helped me more than I think he knows. He pulled out of meeting me twice, I've pulled out a couple of times too. In the end, we still haven't met up even though we speak very regularly and have known each other for 7 years. It's the longest friendship I've ever had (not including my sister). Don't think because this guy chickened out nothing good can happen between you, and don't assume he doesn't love you back. Fear and insecurity can be crippling at times.

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    Give the guy another chance. Make him come to you this time though.
    When I was at my lowest, I met a friend online who helped me more than I think he knows. He pulled out of meeting me twice, I've pulled out a couple of times too. In the end, we still haven't met up even though we speak very regularly and have known each other for 7 years. It's the longest friendship I've ever had (not including my sister). Don't think because this guy chickened out nothing good can happen between you, and don't assume he doesn't love you back. Fear and insecurity can be crippling at times.
    Thanks, I might give him another chance, but I dont think he wants to come to me, he's too scared even though I know he is perfect already. We used to speak for over 8 hours every single day and I honestly can't imagine my life without him and so far it's been awful. I really do know I'm in love with him, and he's helped me with all of my problems so much before. I think I might call him later.

(Original post by raisin.)
    :hugs: It will get better one day; I promise.

I know you've said counselling made things worse, but how long ago was it? I've had a few awful experiences with it in the past but when I tried it again, I found it really beneficial.

I know you don't me, but if you ever need someone to chat to about anything then you can send me a PM.

Edit: Just read your latest post and I relate to quite a bit of it. If you're struggling with the ED then you really do need to seek help for it, because it won't go away on it's own. EDs/self harm/drinking are usually always a symptom of something else, be that depression or whatever, but the point is you need some support. I can understand how you feel about this guy and that sounds horrible, but if he didn't turn up then.. Perhaps he's not as great as you thought/think he is. Have you told him how you feel? The problem with the internet is that you never know whether people are exactly who/how they say they are. I don't mean that in a 'he's probably forty' way (though he may be..) but it's very easy to exaggerate elements of your personality/similarities in order to bond with people more. It's also incredibly easy to become attached when you're lonely, down and the relationship isn't actually part of 'reality'. I'm not dismissing your feelings, just saying that they're probably made worse by how you feel. But as I said, if you need a chat then I'm here.
    Thanks for your reply. I just don't think it's serious enough to seek help, I dont think anyone will take me seriously.
    I know he's as great as I think he is and I know who he is because we not only talked on the phone and webcam, but we did things on them:o:.
    He's all I want.

ReputationRep:
    we not only talked on the phone and webcam, but we did things on them:o:.

What? did you play Scrabble? Cluedo? Monopoly? Give us a hint.

... Ok i'll stop now.
    Good luck with the dude when you call

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.