Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have always wanted to go to a London university, preferably KCL and will be applying this September. However, I have been warned by many people that it is expensive and of course this is to be expected from central London.

However, how expensive will it be exactly? Assuming I qualify for full loan and full grant (which I will probably be able to) and also considering I am also eligible for DLA and the Freedom pass which takes off the cost of transport, would I be able to afford studying in London without any money from my parents, as you can imagine, someone who is eligible for full loan and grant is hardly going to have a rich parent to sponge off!

Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have to pay for transport you should be set with a full grant.
    Your accommodation will eat up the entirety of your maintenance loan.
    You should be able to budget off your full grant, however freshers week can be very expensive so you may need a little boost for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earl Nuce)
    If you don't have to pay for transport you should be set with a full grant.
    Your accommodation will eat up the entirety of your maintenance loan.
    You should be able to budget off your full grant, however freshers week can be very expensive so you may need a little boost for that.
    Thanks for the advice, will take that into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Right, the order of things you will spend on are as follows:

(Tuition)
    Accommodation
    Board
    (Transportation)
    Books/study materials
    Clothes/other necessities
    Leisure activities

I hear it's relatively easy to find a part-time/help job in London, so you should be able to cope.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.