Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    -In terms of league tables Birmingham is always higher however the difference is very small. I'm swaying slightly towards Birmingham at the moment but what are my chances of getting into a decent masters course after graduating from Birmingham? And what are the career prospects like for both? When I compare the two on unistats Lancaster shades it in terms of "% with a job or doing further study"
    -Both Require AAB, however Lancaster can do a year abroad to study (Is this any good?)
    -Birmingham is 2 hours away from my hometown, but Lancaster is 5 hours away, and is Lancaster isolated up in the north west with very few links?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    visit them both, that's most important

ReputationRep:
    birmingham without a doubt
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Smtn)
    visit them both, that's most important
    This^

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster! I'm heading there this september, it looks really great. Visiting first is important though. I liked lancaster because the campus had a really really good feel to it, I felt at ease straight away. Plus the college system is pretty cool, and there are so many facilities on campus.

As well as that, it isn't far from the city centre -close enough that it is quick and easy to get there, but far enough that you have some peace and quiet when you need it. Plus each college is quite different so you'd find something to suit you, I personally liked Lonsdale for accomodation.

There aren't LOADS of shops, but you have the basic things most would go for, like Topshop/Topman, River Island, M & S etc... and Manchester and Preston aren't far away.

I cant wait to go there! Plus it has a good reputation, and as it is quite a new university in comparison to the others in the top 20, that is quite a great achievement.

ReputationRep:
    birmingham

ReputationRep:
    **** league tables, visit them and see which feels more right for you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Definitley don't go on leauge tables!

I turned down offers from Bristol, Southampton and Glasgow for Lancaster, and I think they're all ranked higher, but I MUCH prefered Lancaster!

Definitley go and visit, best thing you can do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)
    Definitley don't go on leauge tables!

I turned down offers from Bristol, Southampton and Glasgow for Lancaster, and I think they're all ranked higher, but I MUCH prefered Lancaster!

Definitley go and visit, best thing you can do
    ^this. I turned down Nottingham, York and Leicester for Lancaster and i'm not regretting it so far. (btw good choice on the environmental science, am doing it as my minor and it's really good).
    Anyhow, OP the best thing to do is just visit like everyone else has suggested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kid-Nit-Jimmy)
    -In terms of league tables Birmingham is always higher however the difference is very small. I'm swaying slightly towards Birmingham at the moment but what are my chances of getting into a decent masters course after graduating from Birmingham? And what are the career prospects like for both? When I compare the two on unistats Lancaster shades it in terms of "% with a job or doing further study"
    -Both Require AAB, however Lancaster can do a year abroad to study (Is this any good?)
    -Birmingham is 2 hours away from my hometown, but Lancaster is 5 hours away, and is Lancaster isolated up in the north west with very few links?
    Thanks.
    For economics both Birmingham and Lancaster are getting stronger and neither is weak. Lancaster has just become a BSc, but I know somone on TSR who went to Lancaster and was not impressed: they dropped out and re-applied this cycle. Birmingham is a class above Lancaster and is better prep for a masters.

As other posters have said, visiting is important. And you should do that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.