Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good evening guys and girls,

I'm considering self studying A-level Economics along with A-level Maths starting in September. Has anyone done this? Is economics a subject that is well-suited to self-study?

I'm pretty sure that I wont have a problem with Maths.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards, Leon

(Original post by LeonLorenzo)
    Good evening guys and girls,

I'm considering self studying A-level Economics along with A-level Maths starting in September. Has anyone done this? Is economics a subject that is well-suited to self-study?

I'm pretty sure that I wont have a problem with Maths.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards, Leon
    Yeah it's possible to do this. I self taught the A Level with Edexcel. When I self studied it I used a textbook and some revision guides. I used the Alain Anderton textbook just to give an overall view of the topics while the revision guides were used for more specific revision. One key concept with Economics at A Level is exam technique. Having good exam technique can help you gain a lot of marks. The best way to improve this is by doing past papers which you can do on your own and then mark them yourself so you know what is expected of you when it comes to the exams.

What exam board are you looking to do A Level Economics with? I think that you would need to pick a board that does not have a coursework element since these cannot be moderated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    Yeah it's possible to do this. I self taught the A Level with Edexcel. When I self studied it I used a textbook and some revision guides. I used the Alain Anderton textbook just to give an overall view of the topics while the revision guides were used for more specific revision. One key concept with Economics at A Level is exam technique. Having good exam technique can help you gain a lot of marks. The best way to improve this is by doing past papers which you can do on your own and then mark them yourself so you know what is expected of you when it comes to the exams.

What exam board are you looking to do A Level Economics with? I think that you would need to pick a board that does not have a coursework element since these cannot be moderated.
    I haven't got to considering the pros and cons of each board yet. I'm still contemplating whether I should just enter myself for the exam or pay for one of the online courses.

I picked up the Oxford revision guide 'Economics through diagrams' about a year ago and worked through all the material, I'm not hopeful that much stuck though.

What are your thoughts on taking both Maths and Economics A-levels in a year while working? Manageable?

Cheers, Leon

(Original post by LeonLorenzo)
    I haven't got to considering the pros and cons of each board yet. I'm still contemplating whether I should just enter myself for the exam or pay for one of the online courses.

I picked up the Oxford revision guide 'Economics through diagrams' about a year ago and worked through all the material, I'm not hopeful that much stuck though.

What are your thoughts on taking both Maths and Economics A-levels in a year while working? Manageable?

Cheers, Leon
    Do you mean the ICS courses? I had a look at them too but I was put off because it was expensive and imo it didn't seem very worthwhile. I entered myself as a private candidate at my old school, which worked out much cheaper than the course.

I have that book :yes: It helped with the diagram side of things although not everything in the book was relevant to the syllabus.

I think it will depend on how much time you will have outside of work and how much of that time you want to use working. For the Maths A Level it's pretty much a case of doing as many questions as possible from the course textbooks and practising past papers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.