Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't let one person's stories of joy make you think you'll love it here. Don't let one tale of unhappiness put you off. Don't let league tables be the be-all and end-all. Don't come here because you fancy the pants off Prince William (he's gone already ).

Think for yourself. You might want to consider the following:

1. Whether you like a university or not depends on your personality and preferences. St Andrews might not suit someone with visions of clubs and shopping centres and year-round sun, but a lot of current students will confirm they love it here. St Andrews is not for everyone, but some people thrive here.

2. Visit! Visit-visit-visit! This is a huge part of getting a feel for the town and if it will suit you. If you can't do this, make an effort to see how people like you who study here feel.

3. Do research on the relevant departments. If you read up on stuff, then you'll get insight to the teaching, and you'll be able to make a good decision on which universities will suit you academically. Try to find some insight to what modules there are and what current students think of them.

4. Degrees in Scotland are usually a year longer than their English counterparts. Be prepared for this, and investigate direct entry or fast track options.

5. Read the various opinions and stickies in here. There's a huge amount of information on a lot of aspects of studying here.

6. Think about what you read. Just because I enjoyed living in Hall X doesn't mean you'll like it. Bunnies are great, but will you get bored of them?

7. Check the facilities. Can you stand travelling to Dundee to get your hands on a Primark? Are you devoted to a sport that the town doesn't have facilities for? St Andrews isn't a big city, it doesn't have everything.

8.(edited ) Finances. How much will you have from your parents and your loan? Will you work over the summer? Would you be happy to work in term-time? What if you're in the more expensive accommodation in first year? How much will travel cost?

9.(edited )Semester dates. Currently there are exams straight after Christmas, and then a break before 2nd semester. How would this suit you?

Here are some links you might like to look at:
    Sports clubs
    Societies Index
    List of subjects - have a read of the stuff that's relevant to your subject.
    Here is a Google Map, so you can see how big St Andrews is.
    Map showing pubs
    Link to some thumbnail pictures
    Obligatory wiki link

I hope this helps you get a feel for whether or not you'd be happy spending several years in St Andrews

Any suggestions of stuff I should add here, go for it

Any questions, fire away :yep:

Edit:
    As suggested, I'm linking some 2010 league tables If you're reading this and they're out of date, I found them all by googling 'university league tables' I'd suggest you have a nosey around for yourself too
    Times
    The Independent
    Guardian - individual subjects
    Complete university Guide - that page links to a big league table, and ones for individual subjects, and information on how the tables actually work
    WIKIPEDIA YEAH!!! It had to be done. Anyway, that looks like a good overview of various tables, but it probably a bit shallow if you want to find out about a specific subject.
    I think perhaps league tables are a good starting point for starting to narrow down where you want to investigate further - if you're fantastic at, say, art history, then you'll probably want to find universities which are good for that specifically, rather than specifically having a decent rating overall. I also want to emphasise that how a university fares in the league tables doesn't mean it's right or wrong for you as an individual, so I'd encourage you to research more about a university before going 'Oooh, it's in the top 3, <yoink>'.

Here is a thread which is a couple of years old, but is mostly current students of that time discussing bad stuff about St Andrews. There is a slight diversion for a coffee discussion about 2/3 of the way through, but I think a lot of the points made are still worth hearing. (Just be aware that the beer prices are probably outdated by now, Aldi arrived quite a while ago and there's a Nisa now... and other stuff will have changed too. I think a lot of it is still relevant and what people would probably still say.)

ReputationRep:
    thank you for putting things straight! That person who started the other thread is an idiot who just ranted about her experience in a way that was clearly designed to put people off :mad:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post23647313

For anyone who has concerns about the place.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'm in Year 12 and I was going to put it down as my first choice next year and that thread got me worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    Thanks, I'm in Year 12 and I was going to put it down as my first choice next year and that thread got me worried.
    My first (and best!) advice would be to go and visit any university you are considering spending 4+ years of your life at.

This golden rule will ensure you don't get any nasty surprises when you start.

This is an excellent thread Imperceptible - I applaud you! :clap2: :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    nice one ninja - although you might want to link in league tables/RAE/student surveys as well..

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Now all I need is an offer :awesome:

Gowns & formals = :yep:
    I simply must get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot!

The other dude made me die a little inside and question what I was getting myself into.

Atleast your view is balanced unlike jo so...

Why is it that whenever someone posts anything negative about their experience at a 'prestigious' uni, they get shot down for it? One person doesn't like it, get over it.

(Not attacking you OP, I think this thread is a great idea and establishes balance :yep:).

(Original post by _Claudia_)
    Yay! Now all I need is an offer :awesome:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Edit: very late double....

hmm, I did some digging :p:

I don't mind castles.. and anyway, I think I can adapt to a quieter city, I kind of like it And it will most probably help me to concentrate on my degree and not over do the whole 'let's go party' thing

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't got over my rejection :p:
    I think it's a stunning place - go and visit if you haven't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    nice one ninja - although you might want to link in league tables/RAE/student surveys as well..
    Oooh, good idea Thanks I might get stuck into that tomorrow - right now, I need to learn to go to bed at a sensible time so that I can get up for lectures at a sensible time... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    I still haven't got over my rejection :p:
    I think it's a stunning place - go and visit if you haven't.

Ah, same. Went last Feb & fell in love, then just my luck- i didn't get in! Think I chose the wrong year to apply, rewind 5 years and i mightve been ok hehe, havn't heard of any UK students getting an offer for my course (management)..but they must be out there somewhere :ninja:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.