Turn on thread page Beta

Uni students, do you feel like this? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying at a highly prestigious university. I am bright enough but cannot motivate myself to do any work. I rarely attend classes (which are compulsory) and can't get myself to do any essays, which are massively overdue. I simply cannot get myself to do anything. Does anyone else feel like that? What can I do to improve my situation? I am in a dire situation and will get kicked out if I do not get my act together. I desperately want to improve but cannot get myself to do so. Anyone out there feeling like that?

ReputationRep:
    Errrr.. that pretty much describes most university students. Personally, I need The Fear to motivate me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getinthevan)
    Errrr.. that pretty much describes most university students. Personally, I need The Fear to motivate me.
    My situation is worser than most, I think. What is The Fear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad A$$)
    My situation is worser than most, I think. What is The Fear?
    The Fear is that feeling of motivation and ability that you get at the very last minute - it's the reason why all my assignments are handed in at like 15.59. I work best under pressure - some people just do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am afraid it is not very good for us. Sigh. I have my deadline for portfolio B this week and I just can't motivate myself. Sorry didn't help you at all.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is true to everyone.
    Before I came to uni I got everything done as and when it was set to me, and now at uni Im getting things in and getting good grades, but I feel like I have to force myself to do things now!
    It's definately a uni thing don't worry! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    I'm starting to let my attendance slip. It's not on! I need to fix my damn sleeping pattern. I can never get tired until 5am.

Same, it's horrible! I want to go bed at 10 or 11, but I just can't get to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying at a highly prestigious university. I am bright enough but cannot motivate myself to do any work. I rarely attend classes (which are compulsory) and can't get myself to do any essays, which are massively overdue. I simply cannot get myself to do anything. Does anyone else feel like that? What can I do to improve my situation? I am in a dire situation and will get kicked out if I do not get my act together. I desperately want to improve but cannot get myself to do so. Anyone out there feeling like that?
    Same, exactly the same. I haven't learnt anything really, I would really struggle to tell you anything new I have learnt since starting in September, which is my own fault for barely ever going in. At the moment I'm just assuming one day, hopefully sooner rather than later I will open up a textbook and try and make myself comfortable with the work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)
    Same, it's horrible! I want to go bed at 10 or 11, but I just can't get to sleep.
    Damn right, if you crack it please PM me how. My dream is to go to bed one night and fall asleep immediately. Every time I try to go to sleep relatively early I spend ages with my eyes shut hoping I will tire and then open them up after a couple of hours to realise I am no more tired then before. Very frustrating, especially in the morning when I wake up and promise myself I am going to go to sleep early the following night.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't gone as far as you. I do all my due work and buck up at exam time but otherwise my work is left to the last minute and i rarely write up notes from lectures. I know i should and i'm trying to improve this semester but frankly, i haven't done so! It's quite bad.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to let my attendance slip. It's not on! I need to fix my damn sleeping pattern. I can never get tired until 5am.
    I have also destroyed my sleeping pattern

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    Damn right, if you crack it please PM me how. My dream is to go to bed one night and fall asleep immediately. Every time I try to go to sleep relatively early I spend ages with my eyes shut hoping I will tire and then open them up after a couple of hours to realise I am no more tired then before. Very frustrating, especially in the morning when I wake up and promise myself I am going to go to sleep early the following night.

One word: Alcohol.

But then you end up feeling even worse the next day, so no real improvement.

Trouble is I have a 9 o'clock start every day! It's brutal.

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling!!
    It starts to affect you during the day though that's the problem, I think I have more sleep from power naps then actual sleep during the night since I've got here!
    Now for instance, everyone's asleep/out and I can't sleep so I'm writing an essay and wasting time online until I can sleep pretty much :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Think of it this way.. if you fail you've just spent a whole lot of money on nothing.

I can't talk though haha... I'm worse than most. I'm so bad in fact that despite having a bet on with my mate that for every lecture missed we'd have to buy the other one a drink, I still managed to miss 4 lectures out of the 12 we have a week. (He missed 6 tho lol) - I also really do have barely any free time on my hands to get coursework/revision done when not in lectures. Me and my group of friends (all bar 1 just as bad) just go to the library basically 1/2 days before the assignment is due in and get what we can done... I think if I didn't have these friends though I'd be even worse.

When I say I don't have free time I'm not over-exaggerating. I'm busy every night of the week with social activities (Pool, poker, badminton and tennis) bar student night which I'm always out on. And then when I go home... well I have free time but I choose to spend it either playing more poker or watching TV etc..

ReputationRep:
    If you dont do the work you WILL get kicked off!!!!! Is that not enough?

ReputationRep:
    If you can't get motivated at all, you obviously aren't interested and you're probably on the wrong course. Doesn't matter how much you try to tell yourself you want to do the work, if you wanted to you would do it.

Everyone gets bored by the odd module/assignment you get, but if you just find the whole thing dullsville then there's an issue. It'd be an issure for me anyway..

ReputationRep:
    I got to pick my game up again. I never seem to have the motivation until I've put myself in a position where I need to achieve the unthinkable for a decent grade. Strangely I seem to achieve the unthinkable in such situations. Maybe failing isn't so bad afterall...

ReputationRep:
    Pretty common, tbh.

If you don't motivate yourself, you will fail. End of, really. I often go through similar phases so I don't have much sympathy. You need to force yourself. There is literally no such thing as can't - you stand up, get a book, open it, start reading.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.