Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    After unfortunately receiving a rejection letter from Nottingham. I now have 3 offers on the table.
    Exeter - AAA - Economics with European Study (L101) BA
    Birmingham - AAB - Economics with French (L1R1) BSC
    Glasgow - AAB - Economics with French (L1R1)

So I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on which to go to, assuming I get the grades. I would probably prefer to go to Exeter then Birmingham as second (which I know makes no sense). However I keep on seeing the high place of Exeter in the tables as slightly skewed because of the national student survey. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice which would of course would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaxDaxter)
    After unfortunately receiving a rejection letter from Nottingham. I now have 3 offers on the table.
    Exeter - AAA - Economics with European Study (L101) BA
    Birmingham - AAB - Economics with French (L1R1) BSC
    Glasgow - AAB - Economics with French (L1R1)

So I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on which to go to, assuming I get the grades. I would probably prefer to go to Exeter then Birmingham as second (which I know makes no sense). However I keep on seeing the high place of Exeter in the tables as slightly skewed because of the national student survey. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice which would of course would be much appreciated.
    I don't think there's going to be much between the prestige of each course, so I'd choose location if I was you. Exeter is a very small little town and although it is very picturesque there are only about 4 nightclubs, not that many shops and it is very quiet. Whereas Birmingham basically has nearly everything that London has. It's also only an hour and a half from London, Manchester and Bristol, which are all top places to visit, shop, go clubbing etc. I'd go for Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    GLASGOWWWWW

Birmingham is a really pretty uni, and it's a great city. The people at the uni are from more diverse backgrounds than Exeter (I believe). Exeter is quite quiet as a place (although obviously it has a student population so it's not dire), and also has a pretty campus, although I've never visited. Birmingham has really good shopping, gigs, clubs, and transport connections as it's so cental (brilliant for getting home/going to see mates at other unis).

I only know what my cousin and friends who went there said about Exeter though. Just something to mull over, think about what you want from your uni experience I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham over Exeter any day, Exeter has some crap Grad prospects for Econ grads, plus the course is a BA, not as good as a BSc in employers' eyes!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice so far. So far it seems to be what I expected, Birmingham is more a city whilst Exeter is quieter. The main reason I would prefer to go to Exeter is because of it's higher place in the tables in general and also in Economics and French.

ReputationRep:
    I would have presumed Economics at Exeter was better..

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite interested in this...I have offers from Birmingham, Exeter and Lancaster for straight Economics (rejection from Nottingham, fingers crossed for EPAIS at Warwick). Unless I get an offer from Warwick its between Exeter and Birmingham and at the moment I can't decide either. Exeter want AAA from me and Birmingham only AAB...but I have no idea what either place is like.

ReputationRep:
    id choose birmingham. exeter is only high in league tables because of their student satisfaction, not the quality of the university itself.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pow!)
    id choose birmingham. exeter is only high in league tables because of their student satisfaction, not the quality of the university itself.
    Not true at all, exeter is high in league tables because its actually been improving. They closed down under performing departments hence have risen quickly up league tables. TC i would suggest actually visiting all of them because thats most important, however dont be fooled by exeter Ba course it is as mathematical as any other bsc courses. So far the grad prospects are around the 70's however i expect this to rise very soon as the university improves further. As for economics it certainly hasnt risen just because of student satisfaction, this is a myth that needs to disappear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    I would have presumed Economics at Exeter was better..
    No Exeter is better at getting good student satisfaction ratings.

Birminghams economics department is better, the univesity has a better reputation and the graduate prospects are better and its improving significantly and getting more competitive every year.
    I've heard Exeter Econ grad prospects aren't that great.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mattx10)
    No Exeter is better at getting good student satisfaction ratings.

Birminghams economics department is better, the univesity has a better reputation and the graduate prospects are better and its improving significantly and getting more competitive every year.
    I've heard Exeter Econ grad prospects aren't that great.
    Well no, Birmingham get high student satisfaction also. I dont understand why people assume exeter is only high because of student satisfaction when other institutions around it also get high ones. B'ham gets only 3% less in times, 2 less in complete university guide and gets practically the same in the guardian. The grad prospects are also very similar overall according to these 3 tables (go and take a look). Im not sure how accurate the tables are but id assume if 3 different tables were showing exeter grad prospects at about 75% then they must be very close to that figure. They also dont show B'hams grad prospects being any better.

Looking across all these tables it appears exeter economics is better, and as ive shown before not artificially better due to student ratings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    Birmingham over Exeter any day, Exeter has some crap Grad prospects for Econ grads, plus the course is a BA, not as good as a BSc in employers' eyes!
    79% and 76% between them - i don't see how that 3% makes bham so much better grad wise and BA BSC is not true at the "higher end" unis

(Original post by pow!)
    there's a 3% difference between student satisfaction
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    79% and 76% between them - i don't see how that 3% makes bham so much better grad wise and BA BSC is not true at the "higher end" unis

there's a 3% difference between student satisfaction
    i was starting to think i was the only one that noticed that, thought it was down to my bias being an exeter student :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    i was starting to think i was the only one that noticed that, thought it was down to my bias being an exeter student
    lol :p: nah i noticed it pretty much straight away or maybe it was because of my bias in thinking that birmingham is well over rated for economics. Put greenwich above oxbridge and LSE in the tables and i bet their grade entry and competition will increase :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    exeter is overated... AAA offers??.....i would choose birmingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK)
    exeter is overated... AAA offers??.....i would choose birmingham
    someone at bham told me that they would/could be raising Bham offers to AAA, the same can be said

Birmingham is disgusting. I would advise you to firm exeter and have glasgow as an insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I would personally go for Birmingham due to my preference of the higher mathematical content of the BSc + employers like this if you’re considering the finance industry. Overall though it’s down to which you prefer as a whole (accommodation, course, campus, location, opportunities and support aboard etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    someone at bham told me that they would/could be raising Bham offers to AAA, the same can be said
    would be surprised, only last year they were ABB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK)
    would be surprised, only last year they were ABB
    the thing is though if you're going to say that exeter is AAA therefore over rated, can the same not be said for birmingham? before 2009 it was at 26th then after one miracle year it jumped all the way up to 7th (whether it deserved to be there is another thing) so has the grade entry been raised due to competition from:
    birmingham being amazing

or

because hundreds of misinformed people looked at the table thought oh wow bham is 7th i'll apply there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.