Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Exeter or Birmingham watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    the thing is though if you're going to say that exeter is AAA therefore over rated, can the same not be said for birmingham? before 2009 it was at 26th then after one miracle year it jumped all the way up to 7th (whether it deserved to be there is another thing) so has the grade entry been raised due to competition from:
    birmingham being amazing

or

because hundreds of misinformed people looked at the table thought oh wow bham is 7th i'll apply there.
    the thing is i dont see anyone who overates birmingham...a lot of people have it as their insurance uni. Ive never heard anyone picking it over nottingham, bath, bristol etc or saying it is at that level. Whearas people think that exeter for economics and as a whole is like one of the top uni's and ive never really rated it that high and have seen no reason too. If looking at reputation for economics i always though birmingham was ahead.... maybe i was wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK)
    the thing is i dont see anyone who overates birmingham...a lot of people have it as their insurance uni. Ive never heard anyone picking it over nottingham, bath, bristol etc or saying it is at that level. Whearas people think that exeter for economics and as a whole is like one of the top uni's and ive never really rated it that high and have seen no reason too. If looking at reputation for economics i always though birmingham was ahead.... maybe i was wrong
    maybe you haven't seen them but i've seen some people say it's better than bristol :eek: (although not on TSR) but even if people haven't said it's better than bristol, there seems, to me, to be too much given to birmingham if you get what i mean, although the way i'm explaining it, you probably don't since i'm **** at explaining things lol. One example, someone from TSR forgot who said that birmingham wasn't at the level of warwick, but it wasn't far.... what? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    maybe you haven't seen them but i've seen some people say it's better than bristol :eek: (although not on TSR) but even if people haven't said it's better than bristol, there seems, to me, to be too much given to birmingham if you get what i mean, although the way i'm explaining it, you probably don't since i'm **** at explaining things lol. One example, someone from TSR forgot who said that birmingham wasn't at the level of warwick, but it wasn't far.... what? :confused:
    Ye i know what you mean that birmingham has started to get more popular but i think MOST people realise it is a couple tiers below warwick,ucl etc.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pazman4)
    I would personally go for Birmingham due to my preference of the higher mathematical content of the BSc + employers like this if you’re considering the finance industry. Overall though it’s down to which you prefer as a whole (accommodation, course, campus, location, opportunities and support aboard etc.)
    Well as i said above the mathematical content of Exeter Ba course is the same as a Bsc from any other uni. Common mistake to make about it though. In relation to Mike Essiens is Quite Sick, most (average) people ive mentioned exeter too have been impressed that i go there, it seems to be perceived as a very reputable uni, whether this is true or not is very debatable.

ReputationRep:
    yoyo what would you say are the main characteristics of living in Exeter. Such as going out and the feel of the area.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JaxDaxter)
    yoyo what would you say are the main characteristics of living in Exeter. Such as going out and the feel of the area.
    The feel of the area is amazing its very student friendly city, its not too big nor is it too small. You generally feel extremely safe (think it was the safest place in UK last year and has lowest crime rate). There are about 4 clubs more than enough really unless you a clubbing maniac. But generally its just a pleasant place to live in, even those who complain about the people (there are a fair amount of public school guys) say the area is amazing, im yet to talk to anyone that didn't like the place as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    are the 4 clubs any good?

and do these clubs hold any student orientated nights with the student guild

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaxDaxter)
    After unfortunately receiving a rejection letter from Nottingham. I now have 3 offers on the table.
    Exeter - AAA - Economics with European Study (L101) BA
    Birmingham - AAB - Economics with French (L1R1) BSC
    Glasgow - AAB - Economics with French (L1R1)

So I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on which to go to, assuming I get the grades. I would probably prefer to go to Exeter then Birmingham as second (which I know makes no sense). However I keep on seeing the high place of Exeter in the tables as slightly skewed because of the national student survey. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice which would of course would be much appreciated.
    Visit them and make an informed decision.
    But I would favour Birmingham. e.g.
    i)45% Birmingham students get Finance and Stats Professional Jobs c.f. 35% at Exeter.
    ii)The quality of you other students matters. And the average UCAS tariff at Birmingham is 403 whilst at Exeter it is 386.
    iii)As some other posters have said the Exeter Times position is high in part due to a high students satisfaction rating. The Satisfaction rating is 87% and the graduate prospects is 76%. So 11% students are satisfied despite not getting graduate jobs after 6 months. Birmingham also has more satisfied than employed graduates. So the only point I am making is that you can't read that much into Exeter having a higher Times rating than Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really see the point in posting again on this thread until I had been to visit both universities, which I now have done.

Birmingham: I definitely liked Birmingham a lot as it was close to the city and the course seemed good, but with one problem. However they said that during your third year abroad it was impossible to work for a firm for a semester or a year, which is a big worry.

Exeter: Exeter did just seem like a very nice place to be and although I could kind of tell that there were some fairly posh people attending the visit day with me, it seems that if you choose fairly cheap accommodation you seem to be able to avoid them.

I'm still not entirely sure which I will choose as 1 things still worry me, the BA/BSc issue and if that will pose a problem in the future in terms of employability.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.