Turn on thread page Beta

SURREY or PLYMOUTH - which to choose for Civil Engineering? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    As a base, but league tables do not decide which uni to go to, e.g uni1 ranked 2, uni2 ranked 3 - therefore go to uni1 because the guardian says so. I don't know one person this year who did that at my college, my careers advisor certainly stopped people doing that if they thought that was the best thing to do.

Furthermore, league tables are good for a base on your decision, but to decide because one is 1 place higher is ridiculous.
    Yes, I agree with you on whatever you said in this post. However, what I meant in my last post is that, by using the league tables which contains not only the rankings but also the scores in different criteria, we can get assured of high job prospects in both Surrey and Plymouth as they both scored 10/10 in Guardian. On this point, I'm not talking about 'ranking' but a part of info used to rank both the unis for Civil Eng. I am aware that Surrey has been ranked higher than Plymouth in both the league tables, but they've got the same score in 'job prospects'. We don't need to ask engineering companies to verify the job prospects of certain unis as that has already been done by HESA, and the league tables have been compiled partly by using the info/scores from HESA. I hope you've got my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>)
    Yes, I agree with you on whatever you said in this post. However, what I meant in my last post is that, by using the league tables which contains not only the rankings but also the scores in different criteria, we can get assured of high job prospects in both Surrey and Plymouth as they both scored 10/10 in Guardian. On this point, I'm not talking about 'ranking' but a part of info used to rank both the unis for Civil Eng. I am aware that Surrey has been ranked higher than Plymouth in both the league tables, but they've got the same score in 'job prospects'. We don't need to ask engineering companies to verify the job prospects of certain unis as that has already been done by HESA, and the league tables have been compiled partly by using the info/scores from HESA. I hope you've got my point.
    I understand your point. But you have to look into the stats, stats can be fiddled anyway possible. They have not fiddled the stats however, they do not tell the whole story. Being employed with a lower salary and qualities are not being taken into account for. Surrey has better links with BETTER companies. Although the amount going to jobs is the same, the jobs they are going to are not. If you get a 2:1 from Surrey you have more of a chance of getting a job at a more reputable company and you'll generally get that job easier than the plymouth counterpart. The leagues tables just show it as black and white, you just got to interpret it in the correct way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    I understand your point. But you have to look into the stats, stats can be fiddled anyway possible. They have not fiddled the stats however, they do not tell the whole story. Being employed with a lower salary and qualities are not being taken into account for. Surrey has better links with BETTER companies. Although the amount going to jobs is the same, the jobs they are going to are not. If you get a 2:1 from Surrey you have more of a chance of getting a job at a more reputable company and you'll generally get that job easier than the plymouth counterpart. The leagues tables just show it as black and white, you just got to interpret it in the correct way.
    Alrite, now I also understand your point.

As you already know that I'm an international student, it's not possible for me to travel all the way to UK and visit each uni on open days and then make a choice. So, what I do is that I browse through many useful uk websites (incl uni websites) and find out info as accurate as possible, e.g. QAA, RAE, ECUK, and a few more websites. These official websites have given me all the evidence regarding the quality of education that each uni provide.

You're repeatedly telling me that Surrey Eng graduates have better job prospects than those of Plymouth. Could you plz show me any valid evidence based on which you are saying so?

I have a plan to take the Professional Training Year after Level 2 of Civil Engineering. I got to know from the uni websites that the industry, which employs the students in the placement year, usually offers jobs after graduation. In this case, I shouldn't be worried about the job prospects. Right?

Moreover, UK Engineering Council says when a graduate obtain the 'Chartered Engineer' status he/she can get relevant jobs in any famous companies very easily no matter which uni he/she has graduated from.

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody going to Plymouth and/or Surrey this September?

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering about the two unis: Surrey & Liverpool.

Is Surrey better than Liverpool (esp for Engineering)?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.