Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    temping agencies, and bald-faced cheek seem to both be good ideas. After my first year, I literally phoned up some local companies that I wanted to work for and asked them if they had any jobs going (guess what I got a job).

ReputationRep:
    hey musicboy; youre in n.london arent ya?

if you _do_ manage to get a job/hear of vacancies let me know im also searching!

(hmv are looking for staff for a few new stores btw )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    temping agencies, and bald-faced cheek seem to both be good ideas. After my first year, I literally phoned up some local companies that I wanted to work for and asked them if they had any jobs going (guess what I got a job).
    ChemistBoy, how long did it take you to finally secure a job? (ie the whole process of looking for one, applying, rejections and then finally being being accepted)
    and you dont have to answer this if u dont want to but it would be helpful if you did: how many rejections did u get before ur first acceptance? coz after applying to over 10 so far and going to a couple of interviews, my friend has only received rejections and they are feeling really low about it.

ReputationRep:
    A snack bar? seriously, they are always looking for people. I was desperate for a job too and hadn't had any catering experience. When i rang up i had no idea that it would be snack bar though. The woman never even told me! In her own words she said the place i would be working would be a bit more up market :rolleyes: don't know what the hell that meant but anyways. I was going to be paid about £100 a week for at the most 30 hours, which isn't bad considering your not getting taxed or anything.

To be honest i wasn't THAT desperate and so only lasted about 3 hours
    'Darlin's' and 'sweetehearts' aren't really my thing.

ReputationRep:
    £100 for a 30 hour week means you were paid £3.33 an hour, which is waaaaay below minimum wage! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tweetsy85)
    ChemistBoy, how long did it take you to finally secure a job? (ie the whole process of looking for one, applying, rejections and then finally being being accepted)
    and you dont have to answer this if u dont want to but it would be helpful if you did: how many rejections did u get before ur first acceptance? coz after applying to over 10 so far and going to a couple of interviews, my friend has only received rejections and they are feeling really low about it.
    2-3 weeks after coming back from uni, max. I can't really remember about rejections, maybe 2 or 3? I was lucky at first, and then I had some experience so it got easier.

ReputationRep:
    MB, would you consider bar work? I decided on monday i might need a job when i get back from holiday, before i go to uni (forgot to budget for that month, doh!) so just went round to local bars and asked if they needed anyone, everyone gave me an application form which i could fill in on the spot and got 2 interviews and jobs! and i have no bar/waitress experience... (though i may have fibbed a little about the waitress bit...)

EDIT: I was contemplating not saying i was going to uni in september, especially since i'm going on holiday for 2.5 weeks now, but nowhere seemed that bothered, especially when they heard i'd be back at christmas anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Join the club I'm only doing a few hours at the moment so I wanted something for term time and I just got rejected from a saturday job at BHS!! without interview!!!!
    Even though I'm doing the exact same job at a different store and have loads of customer service experience I didn't necessarily expect to get the job but not giving me an interview is taking the piss. Why did I get rejected thats what I'd like to know. Is it because they require you to have a first to work there now :rolleyes: or could it be that they want a 16 yr old because they get to pay them £1 less an hour than me? :mad:
    Yes.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.