Turn on thread page Beta

How did you decide where to apply for medicine? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, did you pick unis because you wanted to go there or because you thought that you would have a good chance of getting in. There are no right or wrong answers, personally it was the latter. This may be of interest to those intending to apply for 2011 entry.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I had a few ideas already based on cities which I'd visited and liked before (Newcastle and Edinburgh). I then checked the league tables, looked at a few Universities I didn't even know existed, compared all my options over distance from home (the further the better) and teaching quality.

:woo:
    I like researching.

ReputationRep:
    I made a list of courses I'd like to do, regardless of grades or prestige, then put them in order of which courses I liked the best, then applied to my top five.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I visited quite a few unis that I generally liked the look of. Then I chose 4 from them, based on whether I could see myself living there and how likely I thought I would be to get a place.

ReputationRep:
    When deciding I pretty much solely looked at the course structure and prospectus and as a result I have picked four unis that I really like the course of, which is doubtless very important. I however overlooked many other key factors such as location, which, at the time, I didn't view as important. I'm okay with them all, but I'm not sure if I could cope with 6 years in London, and Aberdeen is exceptionally far away from home. So I probably should've paid more attention to where the unis are, but I am happy with my choices.

ReputationRep:
    uni league tables :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I made a list of them all, crossed out pbl courses (personal thing - don't feel its for me), cities i didnt like the sound of, and a couple of others that i didn't feel like for various random reasons... Visited a couple that were left and then soon had 4...

ReputationRep:
    Went through the ones I know I'd meet the requirements of, crossed out cities too far away from home (as in more than 5 hours-ish, not willing to fly to edinburgh!) and crossed out unis or cities I didn't like, then I chose one BMAT and three UKCAT unis, because the BMAT is hard =P

ReputationRep:
    I rolled a dice, numbering 1-4.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly decided that i wanted campus uni or non campus....

Chose Campus, then looked at rough locations, not wanting scotland/london etc...

...then looked on league tables for subject and picked some good campus unis and went and visited...

Then chose Sussex because it has a nice campus, is Number 1 for chem(Guardian 2010) and is in a nice place near a city but also far enough away to be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    Went through the ones I know I'd meet the requirements of, crossed out cities too far away from home (as in more than 5 hours-ish, not willing to fly to edinburgh!) and crossed out unis or cities I didn't like, then I chose one BMAT and three UKCAT unis, because the BMAT is hard =P
    But, applicants like you who have more than 6A*s and decent ASs have a more wider scope of universities to choose from. But With someone ,say, like me I had to chose Unis where I had the greatest chances of securing an interview irrespective of distance and like/dislike of the city which is in question.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote each medical school on a small piece of paper, folded them all and put them in my favourite hat and pulled out the first 4 and applied there. The order i pulled them out is my order of preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orihime)
    But, applicants like you who have more than 6A*s and decent ASs have a more wider scope of universities to choose from. But With someone ,say, like me I had to chose Unis where I had the greatest chances of securing an interview irrespective of distance and like/dislike of the city which is in question.
    I had a C at chemistry AS and was only predicted AAB as I was ill in my exam, so I had a very limited choice of those who would accept a B in chemistry, even though I got 90%+ in the end =(

ReputationRep:
    ruled out PBL
    ruled out oxbridge
    ruled out london
    ruled out all those that wernt part of one uni (e.g. penisula, hull-york, etc)
    ruled out those to far away (scotland, ireland)

and then chose out of the others for ones i prefered, most likely to get into, nicest city, best course, best nightlife, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    decided what i wanted to in the next five years of my life, and fitted the uni choices round that.

pretty pointless doing anyfing otherwise, to be 'onest.
    its your life to live, after all, not someone elses, so choose it right every day you can, let alone a five year stretch of it.

becos you'll NEVER get the time back if you mispend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    ruled out PBL
    ruled out oxbridge
    ruled out london

and then chose out of the others for ones i prefered, most likely to get into, nicest city, best course, best nightlife, etc etc.
    How many were you left with (out of curiosity) before you came to your choice of 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    ruled out PBL
    ruled out oxbridge
    ruled out london

That was pretty much my exact list!!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was more intent on studying medicine rather than the actual courses(in hindsight probably not the best of ideas) so I just chose the places I thought I was more likely to at least get an interview from and then picked the ones closest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orihime)
    I see where your coming from. My unis are all in scotland, this is partly because I happen to like them all but also the fact that I won't have to pay tuition fees. However, some of my friends who didn't do as well in their highers decided to look further afield to give themselves more of a fighting chance.

ReputationRep:
    The course I wanted and whether it was near a local skatepark so I can BMX in my spare time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.