Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Megatron)
    How many were you left with (out of curiosity) before you came to your choice of 4?
    umm i think i was left with 6 or 7. and i basically loved about 5 of them so had a decision between soton and notts! (soton won :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    umm i think i was left with 6 or 7. and i basically loved about 5 of them so had a decision between soton and notts! (soton won :P)

hah nice. I actually did a similar way but only got rid of predominant pbl schools and cities i dont want to go to. I also tooke out unis that aren't big on intercalating as i'd love to do that, and was left with 6 unis which i had to choose from...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Megatron)
    hah nice. I actually did a similar way but only got rid of predominant pbl schools and cities i dont want to go to. I also tooke out unis that aren't big on intercalating as i'd love to do that, and was left with 6 unis which i had to choose from...
    yeh it made it nice and easy knowing what i didnt want! where did you apply to out of interest?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ruled out the ones I couldn't apply to (i.e. GCSE and UKCAT whores)/ones that were north/Scotland/Wales/NI. Eventually I was down to 5, torn between PMS and UEA. Chose the latter but that was a bad idea :rolleyes:. Not that it matters now.

ReputationRep:
    I ruled out places I didn't really get any good feelings for (Keele, HYMS, BSMS, Peninsula, UEA...), I ruled out places where I thought it was risky/not worth to applying for with my GCSEs [5A*s, 5A's] (thus I ruled out B'ham, Kings, Oxbridge...). I didn't really want to go to Scotland, so I ruled that out. I didn't fancy going to Newcastle for some reason, so I ruled that out. Then I did my UKCAT and got a good score of 685avg, so that made me consider Unis that use the UKCAT heavily. I looked at unis that I liked and then decided to apply to Manchester (big mistake, **** course), Notts, Sheffield and Barts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splodger)
    The course I wanted and whether it was near a local skatepark so I can BMX in my spare time.
    a real person!

I just picked the places where I thought I would most like to live for the next 5-10 years of my life.

I didn't particularly worry about course structure or anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    exactly . for instance, is there no fort as to what you will be doing on as daily basis?

apparently not for most applicants - its almost like they believe that life is one synonomous conveyer belt whichever uni you go to, and whatever you do wif your time there isnt relevant. jeez..

all a bit preprogrammed automaton if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    I sort of grouped the Unis into course structures, so like 6 year, 5 year integrated, and 5 year pbl...

Then i just ruled out the ones where i didn't like the city or if it was pbl (dont fancy the teaching style). Then I picked ones decent for research, with decent night life and social scenes (except for cambridge lol)... And where i thought was nicest after visiting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v1oXx-)
    I ruled out places I didn't really get any good feelings for (Keele, HYMS, BSMS, Peninsula, UEA...), I ruled out places where I thought it was risky/not worth to applying for with my GCSEs [5A*s, 5A's] (thus I ruled out B'ham, Kings, Oxbridge...). I didn't really want to go to Scotland, so I ruled that out. I didn't fancy going to Newcastle for some reason, so I ruled that out. Then I did my UKCAT and got a good score of 685avg, so that made me consider Unis that use the UKCAT heavily. I looked at unis that I liked and then decided to apply to Manchester (big mistake, **** course), Notts, Sheffield and Barts.

Basically, the new medical schools:p: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ruled out all those in the north. Yes I'm a southern snob

Seeing as I've never lived in England it was pretty much based on what people have tol me- then on how demanding the grades were (ABB-BBC range). I've been pretty lazy with my research tbh, but I'm fairly happy with my choices.

ReputationRep:
    Looked around online at first and ordered about 20 prospectuses (seriously, they took over my house!) of the ones I liked the sound of. Always loved Manchester just from the start, so that was a no brainer, and then I looked through (nicked some more prospectuses off my friends!), chose places that wouldn't be ridiculously hard to get to/course was what I was looking for and could get the grades/looked nice and interesting. Visited Manchester and Newcastle on open days with my friends, Durham we did a campus tour, and I decided I liked all three of those I didn't mean to choose quite so close to home but I really liked these. Got to go round the places after the days and tours too so I knew if I'd actually like the place rather than just the uni. Went on all my open/campus day things from May to July last year.

UCLan's in there too because I know a fair few people who've been there, and I knew it wouldn't be that bad as my choice if Language A2 goes completely wrong since all my choices otherwise have similar offers! Visited Preston a few times so I was familiar with it, and there you go
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1) Narrowed down where i could apply, based on my GCSE's
    2) Course Style and Type
    3) Location
    4) Social Life

Thats it.

ReputationRep:
    Do I want to study in London? Yes
    Do I want to do the BMAT/GAMSAT? No

There you go.

ReputationRep:
    I narrowed it down to about ten place I really liked a lot based on course and location, then went and visited them all and realised I hated about half of them (Birmingham, Notts etc.) then got my 4 from that.

(Original post by Democracy)
    Do I want to study in London? Yes
    Do I want to do the BMAT/GAMSAT? No

There you go.
    Kings, Barts, Georges and...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Kings, Barts, Georges and...?
    SGUL wants GAMSAT, and it's south London. No thanks

Imperial, BL (x2) and GKT :jiggy:

ReputationRep:
    First I eliminated any courses that were entirely or mostly PBL. Then, I researched the locations of each of the remaining universities and crossed off any that looked boring, isolated, scruffy or just generally didn't like. Then I went to about 7 universities and chose the final 4 based on new information I found out about the course, (e.g. dissection/prosection, proportion and style of PBL), accommodation, and the general feel of the place.

ReputationRep:
    Scotland has free fees! That was a bit of a pull for me...

ReputationRep:
    I got out the complete list of UK medical schools and went through a vicious process of elimination.
    Ruled out Oxbridge, London, Bham, Scotland, overly-subscribed universities with ridiculous applicantslaces ratios e.g BSMS etc. Then I found there was still several left on the list so I went through loads of prospectuses and a few open day visits, and looked through the application selection process of the places I was really interested in to deduce my chances of being given an interview. When I got my UKCAT I also ruled out universities which I predicted would have high UKCAT thresholds (mine was 650 avg).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1. Ruled out those in Scotland/NI/London/too close to home
    2. Ruled out those I couldn't get into
    3. Ruled out those I had to take GAMSAT for
    4. Had about 5 left at this point and on talking to a student at one of them, made my choice on which to exclude

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.