Turn on thread page Beta

How long should mineral foundation last? watch

ReputationRep:
    This is just a quick question - I bought Elizabeth Arden mineral foundation powder from the counter at Debenhams about 6 weeks ago. It's already run out, and I'm pretty sure I don't use it more than the average person - I don't coat on nor wear it everyday!

So I was just wondering if this was about the average or if something has seriously gone wrong somewhere - cos it's quite a bit of money to be spending on foundation every six weeks!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Wow seriously? I use bare minerals which comes with two foundations each 30gm each and it lasted me about 10 months
    and I used it everyday!

ReputationRep:
    I had some Lily Lolo stuff before and it lasted me agessssss - so I'm a bit worried it's just this foundation or something!

ReputationRep:
    I have the same one and use it every day and still have it six months on!

ReputationRep:
    my cheap stuff (colection 2k) lasts me about that.

ReputationRep:
    Six weeks seems pretty fast!! If you're not wearing it that often, then I would say have a look at how you are applying it. Is it possible you're loading too much product onto your brush?

ReputationRep:
    That is a surprisingly short time it to last! I agree with star_violet, if you're sure that you haven't needed to reapply more than with your previous foundation it's probably something about the application - are you using a new brush, or perhaps applying the product more thickly than before (possible, if the coverage is more sheer).

Another possibility, if the packaging doesn't include a fixed sifter with small holes, is that you're losing product into the air when you open the pot - maybe try opening it on a table with a flat piece of paper underneath to see how much powder settles on your surroundings once you've opened it? I'm not sure if the packaging is transparent, but if it's opaque and has a built-in sifter then it could be that there's a lot of product left in the jar but it's clumped up too much to fit through the holes.

If none of those things seems to be the issue, you're probably better off with a different foundation. Even my Maybelline Mineral Powder (hardly high-end ) lasted me 9 months of everyday use, and I'm expecting that my first proper mineral product (Elemental Beauty foundation, slightly cheaper than Lily Lolo) will last more than that!

ReputationRep:
    I use Maybeline mineral powder and i've had it for about 5 months and its still not running out! Which is a shame as i'm still not completely sure the colour matches me skin as well as it could! I should maybe just buy somemore...!

ReputationRep:
    It must be something to do with me then :p:

Cheers for the help, guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyy13)
    I use Maybeline mineral powder and i've had it for about 5 months and its still not running out! Which is a shame as i'm still not completely sure the colour matches me skin as well as it could! I should maybe just buy somemore...!
    I've had the same problem before - fortunately, there's a really cheap and effective fix for it . Just order a couple of samples of a colour that seems suitably darker/lighter (Lily Lolo does them, and Elemental Beauty sends them in cute plastic tubes in a lovely pink organza bag), then mix them with your powder until you hit the right shade. They're about 70p from either company - using LL will give you a more matte finish, EB is very slightly glowy because it has more mica in it.

Incidentally, you might want to give the samples a go on their own while you're at it. It turned out that I liked the Elemental Beauty so much that I ditched my Maybelline (which is more expensive btw) since EB's colour match is better, the finish is more natural and my skin looks a lot healthier even without the make-up now.

ReputationRep:
    Wash your brush, if your brush is dirty all the minerals will stick together and stay on the brush and not your face so you'll be using a load more.

ReputationRep:
    nope its not just you! i bought the elizabeth arden one and it lasted me less than 2 months, i didn't find it was very good coverage either. i switched to cliniques and its still going 4 months later

ReputationRep:
    I use the loreal one every day and it lasts about 2-3 months...half of it goes on the floor though as its such a poor design dipping the brush in lol x

ReputationRep:
    I use Lily Lolo and one pot usually lasts me 6-8 months. Perhaps the Elizabeth Arden one doesn't offer as much coverage so you're applying more.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.