Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure where and I need an answer quite quickly..

I've just started selling things on Ebay and one of the items ends in a few hours, my payments are set to paypal only however someone emailed asking if i accept cheques.

I know its probabaly a silly question, but how will this work? Do i need to change the payments option button, or how will the payment be settled if he sends a cheque?

Also my main query: Will the buyer send me a cheque for the full amount, then i pay Ebay the seller + final value fees, or does this go automatically through paypal, or does the buyer send the cheque somewhere else?

I really don't know how it works, would be grateful for some replies!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Nope its fine, if they win you just manually mark it as paid.

Cheque will be full amount sent to you, eBay fees through paypal.

ReputationRep:
    Cheque comes straight to you.
    You wait for the cheque to clear before sending the item.
    Seller fees etc come out of your paypal account.
    As far as I can remember you can just mark the item as payment received once the auction is over.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that should be fine so dont worry about it. Dont send the item until the cheque has cleared!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the replies. So my fees to Ebay will just come out through paypal automatically so i dont need to sort that out?

(Original post by DeltaQ)
    Just make sure the cheque clears before you send the item. You'll probably have to update they payment options on the item page in order for it to work through ebay.
    This is the part i was uncertain of, must i change my listing now at the payment options? There is a box to tick for personal cheque, do i just tick this?

ReputationRep:
    Just leave it be.

If/when they pay as a cheque you can manually tick the "paid" box on a few screens later.

Although if you this unsure should you be selling things on ebay?!

ReputationRep:
    Edit your payment methods so they include Paypal AND personal cheque. You should be able to do this before the auction ends, or you can edit the auction page... personally, I'd email back and say yes, you do accept cheque, and then manually mark it as paid. The seller fees will come out of your paypal.

Make sure you wait for the cheque to clear before you send!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)

Although if you this unsure should you be selling things on ebay?!
    lol i'm just learning as i go along.. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.