The Student Room Group

Should I stretch the truth about my degree

I graduated from a top University with a 2:2 degree.

I was expected to achieve a 1st or a 2:1 but due to long term illness (including brief spells in the hospital) I missed whole chunks of my course and a couple of deadlines. Despite this, after a retake or two I was relieved to be able to gain a 2:2 overall.

I am now in the process of trying to get a decent job or onto a decent graduate scheme. Many only accept 2:1 and some accept 2:2. I am positive that even the positions which accept 2:2 discard my application because of this grade and am frustrated that there is never an opportunity to explain my circumstances on application forms.

Should I just put 2:1 on the application forms and then explain the situation later or continue to be frustrated and turned away from positions I know I am more than good enough for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
solusoracle
I graduated from a top University with a 2:2 degree.

I was expected to achieve a 1st or a 2:1 but due to long term illness (including brief spells in the hospital) I missed whole chunks of my course and a couple of deadlines. Despite this, after a retake or two I was relieved to be able to gain a 2:2 overall.

I am now in the process of trying to get a decent job or onto a decent graduate scheme. Many only accept 2:1 and some accept 2:2. I am positive that even the positions which accept 2:2 discard my application because of this grade and am frustrated that there is never an opportunity to explain my circumstances on application forms.

Should I just put 2:1 on the application forms and then explain the situation later or continue to be frustrated and turned away from positions I know I am more than good enough for?

You're going to lie about your degree classification? Way to get yourself blacklisted from any company you apply to. What a moron.
Reply 2
You could just put second class, and that would avoid lying or revealing the truth. People reading your CV might just presume it was an upper second class, if they state that they have that as their requirement, as people with a lower second would know not to apply. If you do lie, don't let them find out.
Reply 3
Ghost
You're going to lie about your degree classification? Way to get yourself blacklisted from any company you apply to. What a moron.

Thanks for calling me a moron, moron!

Why should I be punished for almost dying whilst at University? None of the application forms give you a chance to explain exceptional circumstances like mine.
Reply 4
No, don't lie. You've been asked what degree grade you got, not which one you thought you could have got.

Everyone could say "Well, I could've got a first if __________ hadn't happened". That's not what they're looking for.
Are the application forms online or in paper form? im not sure if this would work if they were online, but have you thought about putting down 2:2 and writing a covering letter to explain the sitatuon?
solusoracle
Thanks for calling me a moron, moron!

Why should I be punished for almost dying whilst at University? None of the application forms give you a chance to explain exceptional circumstances like mine.

You wouldn't be punished for almost dying, you would be punished for lying. Why don't you tell the truth in your CV but post a complimentary letter explaining why you're right for that company and your circumstances of why you underacheived?
Reply 7
thegaffer91
Are the application forms online or in paper form? im not sure if this would work if they were online, but have you thought about putting down 2:2 and writing a covering letter to explain the sitatuon?

When applying direct or through recruitment agencies where there is a chance to write covering letters I am perfectly happy to say I achieved a 2:2 and then explain the reasons behind it. Most employers and recruitment agencies are sympathetic and have invited me to first and second rounds of interviews where I am able to show them medical records to prove this.

My problem is the online forms for the large companies with Graduate Schemes where there is no such opportunity to do so.
Reply 8
Lying to them is the quickest way to being rejected. However, Ive not known many places ask for proof.
Reply 9
I think that writing a covering letter would be best, as welsh advises. Whatever ypu do, do not lie on a CV, because if they find out during the interview or you tell them, (even with your circumstances), you are unlikely to get a job offer. If you were to get a job, and they found out that you lied after you signed a contract, they can legally dismiss you on the spot.
Reply 10
Riderz
Lying to them is the quickest way to being rejected. However, Ive not known many places ask for proof.

Just to clarify... I don't intend to keep lying. I just want to be able to get through to a stage where I am able to speak with a real person either over the telephone or face to face where I can explain the actual situation.

Most graduate scheme application forms do not allow me this opportunity without first lying about degree classification. However, I have come across some schemes where there IS a part of the form where you can do this and on these occasions I have always been through to the next stage.
Reply 11
solusoracle
Just to clarify... I don't intend to keep lying. I just want to be able to get through to a stage where I am able to speak with a real person either over the telephone or face to face where I can explain the actual situation.

Most graduate scheme application forms do not allow me this opportunity without first lying about degree classification. However, I have come across some schemes where there IS a part of the form where you can do this and on these occasions I have always been through to the next stage.

Whatever you do, DO NOT LIE! No matter how you explain it later you WILL NOT come away from it in a positive light. If your going to lie about the most simple black and white information on an application form, how the hell are they going to want to trust you to work on their behalf on potentially very important business issues?
Maybe you could get a reference from a university tutor who could offer a brief explanation as to why you didn't achieve your expected grade?
Reply 13
Riderz
Whatever you do, DO NOT LIE! No matter how you explain it later you WILL NOT come away from it in a positive light. If your going to lie about the most simple black and white information on an application form, how the hell are they going to want to trust you to work on their behalf on potentially very important business issues?

So you are basically saying that I should just not bother applying for any grad scheme which requires a 2:1 (or even a 2:2 in most circumstances) because their forms do not allow exceptional circumstances to be explained.

Wish I had died.
Don't lie about your grade - They WILL ask to see your uni certificate at some point. If it's evident you lied they're not going to give you the time of day, let alone listen to your sob story.

Don't say "I would've got a better grade but..." It sounds like you're making excuses. Extenuating circumstances at uni are there for a reason, and it isn't so you can make excuses at job interviews forever more.

If you have bad grades, back it up with amazing references and experience. Sure, it's a harder path, but that's what it takes to compete.

But really, what you did was pretty moronic. How did you think you'd ever get away with that?
Reply 15
JellyBean123
Maybe you could get a reference from a university tutor who could offer a brief explanation as to why you didn't achieve your expected grade?

Thanks JellyBean. I already have references from tutors and copies of medical records and notes from the doctor.

The thing is... these are useless bits of paper unless someone in the HR department of the Grad Scheme companies see them. At the moment, every Graduate Scheme I have ever applied for bounces me at the first stage do to the Degree classification I obtained.

I have however, been able to use this evidence for jobs where I am able to go direct to the employer or through recruitment agencies though.
Ghost

Er, what are you on? Obviously you're just going along with antiquated beliefs, companies love it when you lie to their faces now.

:yep:
Reply 17
Svenjamin
But really, what you did was pretty moronic. How did you think you'd ever get away with that?

I haven't done anything yet. So I have never thought I would be able to get away with it.
solusoracle
Thanks JellyBean. I already have references from tutors and copies of medical records and notes from the doctor.

The thing is... these are useless bits of paper unless someone in the HR department of the Grad Scheme companies see them. At the moment, every Graduate Scheme I have ever applied for bounces me at the first stage do to the Degree classification I obtained.

I have however, been able to use this evidence for jobs where I am able to go direct to the employer or through recruitment agencies though.

Then, I think its already been suggested, but write a covering letter politely advising that they look at your reference and medical records (if you can photocopy and send them) before they reject you simply for your degree class?
Reply 19
solusoracle
So you are basically saying that I should just not bother applying for any grad scheme which requires a 2:1 (or even a 2:2 in most circumstances) because their forms do not allow exceptional circumstances to be explained.

Wish I had died.

Apply for ones which want a 2.2, or apply for ones which want a 2.1, but say you got a 2.2 and supply a covering letter. Or email their HR departments and see.

If they specify a 2.2 and you got a 2.2, dont just assume that they are going to pick people who got a 2.1. Beyond academic results they look at you as a person, job history, sports/societies, etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending