Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solusoracle)
    Not an option. You are capped at 40% for re sits. This is the reason why I have a 2:2 and not higher.

I don't intend to lie much. Just enough to get through the first stage of the application process where I would then be able to be honest and explain the situation.

If I don't get any further from there once the truth is out, fair enough. I just want the opportunity to have an interview face to face where personality and other skills can come through rather than being instantly cast aside at the first stage for a poor result which was not my fault.
    where personality and other skills

like un principled bare faced liar perhaps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bramlow)
    I suppose there might be an argument for trying this tactic on firms that have already told you they won't accept 2:2 applications even under your circumstances. In these cases, perhaps you have nothing to lose.
    Except a lot of effort/time in applying for a 2+ stage application process only to be asked for your degree certificate after being accepted.

ReputationRep:
    Without question, I think you should put down 2.1 then if/when they offer you an interview or a numeracy test call them and talk about it.

There are genuinely not a lot of good graduates around, and if you are as good in person as you say they are, they will recognize that immediately and will probably not care a great deal about academics. Of course you will have to be bloody good, much better than other candidates, but I think you should give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasperstory)
    Without question, I think you should put down 2.1 then if/when they offer you an interview or a numeracy test call them and talk about it.

There are genuinely not a lot of good graduates around, and if you are as good in person as you say they are, they will recognize that immediately and will probably not care a great deal about academics. Of course you will have to be bloody good, much better than other candidates, but I think you should give it a go.
    I can only think this reply is taking the mick!

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not.

Sorry to go off topic here, but can I just ask what a 2:1 or a 2:2 degree is? And what the difference is between them? Google wasn't any help xD

ReputationRep:
    Phone them. Phone them and tell them that you want to apply, explain the situation and ask if they would consider you. This way you talk to someone, and explain you situation without having to lie about it first.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not.
    I see from your academic career you have yet to enter the world of work.
    As has already been posted by others reputable employers insist on a copy of the transcript at application. The OP wouldn't get past that hurdle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvilSheep)
    Phone them. Phone them and tell them that you want to apply, explain the situation and ask if they would consider you. This way you talk to someone, and explain you situation without having to lie about it first.
    Good advice. Had not thought about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    As has already been posted by others reputable employers insist on a copy of the transcript at application.
    Almost always after acceptance as a part of the routine checks, eg refs and police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdalol)
    Sorry to go off topic here, but can I just ask what a 2:1 or a 2:2 degree is? And what the difference is between them? Google wasn't any help xD
    Its the clasification

2.1 is 60%
    2.2 50%

ReputationRep:
    The point is he's not going to wait until transcript stage and keep lying or whatever. He will get to speak to real person and explain to them. The reason they have auto-filter is because they have thousands and thousands of applications from people all the time. They aren't stupid enough to think that if you don't have a 2.1 that automatically means you won't be good enough for the job, especially with extenuating circumstances. They do it because they have to and its the best indicator they have available pre-interview.

ReputationRep:
    The point is he's not going to wait until transcript stage and keep lying or whatever. He will get to speak to real person and explain to them. The reason they have auto-filter is because they have thousands and thousands of applications from people all the time. They aren't stupid enough to think that if you don't have a 2.1 that automatically means you won't be good enough for the job, especially with extenuating circumstances. They do it because they have to and its the best indicator they have available pre-interview.
    Phoning beforehand is one thing, lying then trying somehow to explain is quite another.

Most grad schemes allow you to put extenuating circs on the app form in any case.

ReputationRep:
    But actually I think the best plan here is to try and use any connection you have to get internships or other good life experiences. Be entrepreneurial or enter an area like sales where you will really be pushed and you can show your quality if it's necessary.

ReputationRep:
    But actually I think the best plan here is to try and use any connection you have to get internships or other good life experiences. Be entrepreneurial or enter an area like sales where you will really be pushed and you can show your quality if it's necessary.
    +1
    Probs the best plan for the OP.

ReputationRep:
    They don't care that much. They filter thousands as you say. His sob story won't cut any mustard with them. They want the best applicants who don't need extenuating circumstances. Its a big bad world out there, that's just the way it is.

ReputationRep:
    I totally sympathise with your position, I've been ill which has messed up my a levels, so I understand how frustrating it is.
    However I would say NEVER lie on your application, they won't be sympathetic. As harsh as it sounds employers do not care about personal circumstances, they just want to get the numbers of applicants down, and if you tell them you've lied you've made their job easy.
    Why don't you ring HR before applying, explain the situation and ask if they would consider you? At least this way there is no actual lying involved and you don't have anything to lose!

(Original post by Quady)
    Its the clasification

2.1 is 60%
    2.2 50%
    Thanks for clearing that up for me will be aiming for a First Class Honours then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdalol)
    Thanks for clearing that up for me will be aiming for a First Class Honours then
    So does everyone.
    Just make sure you're better than 80% of the people who have applied to do your course.

ReputationRep:
    Ring them or e-mail their HR department. I was ill during my first year at uni (so only got 59% in my first year exams) and had to take a year out. When I've been applying to vac schemes that state that they need a 2.i I've rung them first to check they'll accept my application (I explained that the reason I got a 2.ii in my first year was because I was ill and that I'm expected to get a 2.i at the end of my degree).

Obviously you're in a slightly different position because you've already completed your degree but it won't do any harm to ring/e-mail/write to the firms you're interested in applying to.

If you don't get a place take on as much work experience/internships/jobs as you can to prove you're a good employee and improve your CV. Are you able to apply for non-graduate positions at the firms you're interested in and work your way up. Or applying for a firm that doesn't need a 2.i and moving to a better firm once you've had a similar role for a few years.
    I know how frustrated you must be but keep trying and good luck

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.