Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

As the title says, I'm really confused and don't know what to do, so any advice would be appreciated.
    Basically, I'm supposed to be going to New York & Washington next week for a school trip. However, I got an email from UCL giving me an interview during the time that I'm in America. Of course, I sent them an email back explaining I was on an educational trip and if it was possible to have a different date. The admissions tutor said she couldn't guarentee me another space. If I don't have an interview, I will be rejected. My dad rang up today and spoke directly to see if he could do anything/plead, but she just said the same thing...and obvs with all oversubscription for uni's it's a risk if I don't go on the date I was given.
    But...if I pull out of New York I will loose £700, my parents are being really supportive and are telling me to pull out as it's for my future and they don't mind, these things happen. But obvs, apart from the money, I would really love to go.
    Also, as my fam are going to Florida on fri, my mum isn't fussed about going and is telling me to take her place. If i went, i would get back in time for UCL & would still have a holiday.
    I'm also not sure if UCL is my top. I've got offers from Manchester & Nottingham, but don't want to go there. Got rejected from Edin (where I probably would've gone) and still waiting for Warwick. If I was to get an offer at Warwick, I may potentially go there. It's 50/50 UCL/Warwick...But I would still like the opportunity of getting an offer at UCL, because, as I say, there's a 50% chance I will firm it.
    Basically, should I still go to New York and hope for another interview or pull out and keep the date I was offered? Is UCL a good uni (in terms of academic and socially)?
    Thanks for any help, sorry about the essay!

ReputationRep:
    I thought in cases such as this, universities could do phone or Skype interviews if a rearrangement can't be made? You could ask if that's possible and just take up the charge of being rung abroad as a given?

A week is quite short notice for an interview..

ReputationRep:
    Damn thats unlucky.

Its a pity UCL can't be more accomodating, though its understandable given the number of people they have to interview.

Personally, I'd go to the UCL interview next week and skip the trip (thats if you can't rearrange it, etc). This is because I agree with your parents, trips will come and go - UCL will only happen once. Its a world renowned university and if you get a degree from there, your futures looking pretty good. From where I'm sitting, there isn't really a choice between them.

If you really want a holiday, go to Florida. Just make sure you leave enough time to get home in time for your interview.

Remember, BIG PICTURE!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    No, i was given two weeks notice. I thought they would do a phone interview as well or something...but apparently not. We have to tell her tomorrow at 10 what we're doing, as at the moment they haven't reallocated my original place.

ReputationRep:
    UCL is definitely a good uni, both academically and socially. I'm really not sure what I'd do - I think I might stay home and go to the interview, if I thought there was a chance I'd firm it.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

You have a tough decision to make. Can't you move the date of your holiday?

Whatever you decide just remember that this year, 2010 intake, there were supposed to be 10,000 more university places across the UK but they were scrapped because of the recession. I know that you have other interviews but you're not guarenteed to get in anywhere.

If I were you I would put the interview first but that's your decision and a difficult one. If you moved the dates surely there would only be a small financial penalty?

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by las10)
    Hello,

You have a tough decision to make. Can't you move the date of your holiday?

Whatever you decide just remember that this year, 2010 intake, there were supposed to be 10,000 more university places across the UK but they were scrapped because of the recession. I know that you have other interviews but you're not guarenteed to get in anywhere.

If I were you I would put the interview first but that's your decision and a difficult one. If you moved the dates surely there would only be a small financial penalty?

Good luck.
    No i can't change the New York/Washington dates because it's arranged by my school. If I went to Florida with the family, i would be back well in time for the interview. It's just loosing the £700 for the school trip that I feel guilty about...

ReputationRep:
    just go on the trip thats alot of money such a tricky predicament sounds like a fantastic trip but iam sure you would like to get into UCL are you sure you dont wanna go to Manchester or Nottingham and wat course are you applying for ? just go with your instinct wat feels right

ReputationRep:
    Is there a waiting list of people who want to go on the trip? You could always talk to your school about it, see if anyone wants to take on your place, get the money back through that, go to Florida and do your interview?

ReputationRep:
    UCL? Ha!

Perhaps you should worry more about a university actually worth attending?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.