The Student Room Group

17 year old monthly insurance?? plz help

Hey Guys,

Im 17 and have managed to get a car, insurance, lessons etc without help from my parents at all. However i have got to the point with my insurance where i have to pay the money for it.

The insurance companies are saying that i have to pay the money in one lump sum as i know i cannot get credit to pay it monthly. I dont know what to do as my parents cant pay the lump sum and then i pay them monthly or take out a loan and then pay that. Im not 18 untill august so really struggerling.

I look at my parents being the named driver but i know i could be done for 'fronting' and my parents are worried that they will lose their no claims etc if i have an accident in a car where they are the main driver.

If anybody has any advice please give what u can as im out of ideas :frown:

Thank you xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This whole thing sounds like a bad idea tbh. I'd stop.
Why not have the money come out of the bank account of your parent and you transfer the money to them each month?
Reply 3
glovers3000
Hey Guys,

Thank you xx

I'm gusssing you have a job? If you show them your bank statement to prove that you have regular income, they SHOULD let you pay it off monthly, some are just dumb about it though. I was in kind of the same predicament, I'm 18 in August too (:biggrin:)

Also, try Quinn insurance company, they're reletively cheap, and you pay of monthly.
Reply 4
glovers3000
Hey Guys,

Im 17 and have managed to get a car, insurance, lessons etc without help from my parents at all. However i have got to the point with my insurance where i have to pay the money for it.

The insurance companies are saying that i have to pay the money in one lump sum as i know i cannot get credit to pay it monthly. I dont know what to do as my parents cant pay the lump sum and then i pay them monthly or take out a loan and then pay that. Im not 18 untill august so really struggerling.

I look at my parents being the named driver but i know i could be done for 'fronting' and my parents are worried that they will lose their no claims etc if i have an accident in a car where they are the main driver.

Thank you xx

Why do you have to pay it in one lump sum? I'm 17 and they allowed me to pay it monthly :s-smilie: Maybe you should try looking for different insurance companies that aren't so picky!
Laurah5498
Why not have the money come out of the bank account of your parent and you transfer the money to them each month?

Thats what I did when I was 17, still in my name but paid for by her with me transfering the amount each month. easy.
Reply 6
Perhaps try eCarInsurance? I'm with them, and my insurance is on a monthly rolling contract rather than an annual one.
Reply 7
Yoyoxx
Why do you have to pay it in one lump sum? I'm 17 and they allowed me to pay it monthly :s-smilie: Maybe you should try looking for different insurance companies that aren't so picky!

I think it is because they charge interest. You cannot charge interest to someone who is 17.

Dude just go with the fronting. Then try not to crash.
sexyguy
I think it is because they charge interest. You cannot charge interest to someone who is 17.

Dude just go with the fronting. Then try not to crash.

And raise everyone else's premiums? Thanks
Reply 9
Tomtomtom910
And raise everyone else's premiums? Thanks

Pipe down. How will it raise everyone elses premium? All it does is lower your premium. Crap driving increases premiums, fronting does not.
we i would say to put it on ur parents name as even if they lose there no claims bounces, there insurance would only go down by a few hundred £ as they must be over 30. and you puting there name would half the insurance and safe over £1000. and try LV insurance they are cheap iam with them
sexyguy
Pipe down. How will it raise everyone elses premium? All it does is lower your premium. Crap driving increases premiums, fronting does not.

Insurance companies make a loss with young drivers who insure as an additional driver in comparison with those who pay legitimately

How do you think they cope with the loss? They raise the prices for EVERYONE, including your parents, fronting along with insurance fraud is to blame for the 20% increase in insurance for young drivers we saw last year
glovers3000
Hey Guys,

would you be named as a driver on the car, but not the main? if so thats completely legal, its what i do :smile:
AreYouExperienced?
would you be named as a driver on the car, but not the main? if so thats completely legal, its what i do :smile:

If your the main driver of the car its not legal, its referred to as fronting and invalidates your insurance in the event of an accident
oh i just meant if she drives it from time to time
Reply 15
im the main driver and want to pay monthly but cant untill im 18 as far as i know
glovers3000
im the main driver and want to pay monthly but cant untill im 18 as far as i know

Like i said you can do both if you put your parents card details down, the insurance is in your name but they pay and then you pay them.
Reply 17
if im the 2nd driver can i not say i was driving if i have a crash so it doesnt affect my parent?
Reply 18
glovers3000
if im the 2nd driver can i not say i was driving if i have a crash so it doesnt affect my parent?

i think so with some insurers...
glovers3000

why do you need to be the 2nd driver?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending