Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ali Dizaei, one of the most senior Met officers, has been jailed for abuse of powers. What implications, if any, does this have for Asians* and their role in senior positions of authority in this country? Does this shatter the confidence of the white population of this country in the role minorities play, or is society ready to view this case in a colour-blind way?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8504308.stm

*He is Iranian, which is in Asia, but they often consider themselves "white". That hasn't stopped Mr Dizaei playing the race card, however.

If only this happened in Nigeria. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not to your last query.

"No-one can talk to me, I am the biggest man, I am Tony Montana." :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    His race is not really that much of a point, although I guess my inner racist has to ask would this have happened with a white guy? Probably yes, but I cant not think slightly that he thought he could get away with it because the guy was an immigrant. Who knows. Does it affect my view of Asian police men? No. not at all.

But a rum job non the less, im glad he got a decent sentence and I cant imagine the other cons being very nice to him! It will be like Christmas for them to have a top Met office inside for 2 years!

ReputationRep:
    Long overdue.

Hopefully it will go some way towards shattering the discraceful amount of positive discrimination within the Police. Dizaei has evaded prosecution multiple times before by playing the race card.

ReputationRep:
    Damn straight. :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    Swear to GOD, his first cousin is my dad's best friend. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    "Is it cos I is black?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Long overdue.

Hopefully it will go some way towards shattering the discraceful amount of positive discrimination within the Police. Dizaei has evaded prosecution multiple times before by playing the race card.
    Textbook reason why positive discrimination is a Bad Thing - sooner or later some toss pot like Dizaei is going to play the system. One step forwards, two steps back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Textbook reason why positive discrimination is a Bad Thing - sooner or later some toss pot like Dizaei is going to play the system. One step forwards, two steps back.
    Not just that, there are a hell of a lot of good officers who lose out on promotions to less suitable candidates on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc grounds.

ReputationRep:
    He was only there in the first place to help fill a quota. Besides, even he was of daffy duck descent, he should still go to prison for his crimes.

ReputationRep:
    Stop playing the race card. He's always been dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Long overdue.

This.

He got promoted above his rank for positive discrimination reasons. All the way back in 2000 he was investigated for corruption, and in 2001 he was convicted of misconduct in a public office, and had abused his police credit card previously. Yet he still got promoted from 2004 for fear of the police appearing "racist" otherwise.

Of course, when he was investigated for corruption back in 2003/2004 people called the police racist for investigating him.

We really need to get away from this stupid obsession with calling the police racist everytime they dare to investigate someone who isn't white.

ReputationRep:
    A four year jail sentence is too much for this crime, imo.

ReputationRep:
    British-Iranians up to their old tricks again :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Im sure British Iranians feel slightly embarrassed at this, not that it's a reflection on them or anything.

ReputationRep:
    im iranian and this man is a piece of dirt ill smash him up if i ever saw him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZahraF)
    A four year jail sentence is too much for this crime, imo.
    Do you realise how serious the responsibilities we delegate to police officers are, let alone to commanders. Not harsh enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Ali Dizaei, one of the most senior Met officers, has been jailed for abuse of powers. What implications, if any, does this have for Asians* and their role in senior positions of authority in this country? Does this shatter the confidence of the white population of this country in the role minorities play, or is society ready to view this case in a colour-blind way?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8504308.stm

*He is Iranian, which is in Asia, but they often consider themselves "white". That hasn't stopped Mr Dizaei playing the race card, however.
    He has always been a dodgy person. Everyone from the Iranian community knows what he's like.

ReputationRep:
    well those who play the race card will find themselves under far more scrutiny ...

he's done everyone who has suffered under the bullying tendencies of Anglo-Asians a great favour

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.