Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok well i've pretty much applied to most of my sixth form and college choices but I want to start preparing for my interviews from now. The thing is that I don't know what questions may be asked and i'm not too sure on how to prepare for them. The subjects I chose for further education are: Maths, History, Economics, Biology and Critical Thinking (this is an extra alongside my main four subjects). I have also opted for Politics instead of Biology for those colleges and sixth forms that offer it as an A level. Oh and my intended course for uni is reading Law.
    Any advice on what I should be doing prior to the interviews?

P.S. The sixth forms I have applied to are prestigious grammar school ones and they don't accept any old riff raff. Once again, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    Ok well i've pretty much applied to most of my sixth form and college choices but I want to start preparing for my interviews from now. The thing is that I don't know what questions may be asked and i'm not too sure on how to prepare for them. The subjects I chose for further education are: Maths, History, Economics, Biology and Critical Thinking (this is an extra alongside my main four subjects). I have also opted for Politics instead of Biology for those colleges and sixth forms that offer it as an A level. Oh and my intended course for uni is reading Law.
    Any advice on what I should be doing prior to the interviews?

P.S. The sixth forms I have applied to are prestigious grammar school ones and they don't accept any old riff raff. Once again, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post23650013
    See other threads, including the above, from earlier today.

Make sure you can show how you're interested in your chosen subjects (maybe books, the news...) and aware of how they will help you, your skills and academic development.
    Try to get across that you expect the respective sixth form to help you develop and nourish your mind, your critical analysis skills etc. and stand you in good stead for the future - based on their history and reputation. Also, how you fell you can keep up their good reputation and be a distinguished student. Maybe mention extra-curriculars and hobbies you could continue (no obligation to follow up in September).

If you're certain about law as a career, make sure you tell them why you're choosing those subjects, that do not appear directly relevant. How maths will develop x and biology y... Some subjects may simply be your favourites and that's fine too.

I'm probably a bit too thorough in what you should 'know' at this stage though, to be honest.

Good luck.

P.S. Grades are far more important than interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amenhotep)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post23650013
    See other threads, including the above, from earlier today.

Make sure you can show how you're interested in your chosen subjects (maybe books, the news...) and aware of how they will help you, your skills and academic development.
    Try to get across that you expect the respective sixth form to help you develop and nourish your mind, your critical analysis skills etc. and stand you in good stead for the future - based on their history and reputation. Also, how you fell you can keep up their good reputation and be a distinguished student. Maybe mention extra-curriculars and hobbies you could continue (no obligation to follow up in September).

If you're certain about law as a career, make sure you tell them why you're choosing those subjects, that do not appear directly relevant. How maths will develop x and biology y... Some subjects may simply be your favourites and that's fine too.

I'm probably a bit too thorough in what you should 'know' at this stage though, to be honest.

Good luck.

P.S. Grades are far more important than interviews.
    Thanks, so should I swot up on the syllabus content too of my chosen subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    Thanks, so should I swot up on the syllabus content too of my chosen subjects.
    Personally, I wouldn't go that far. It could change.
    They're sure to ask why you want to study those subjects and knowing/quoting the syllabus won't wash.

It's about you and how you're suited to the subjects and whether you will be motivated, and you as a future pupil.

Genuine interest in history or law for example, is not the same as reading the syllabus for either (and maybe that would have an adverse effect). For example, to exemplify your interest in history, you could mention a book you've liked and say how you came to know that place, person or period from it - it could be novel even, and how its backdrop meant that you were able to appreciate that particular society. Likewise law or politics, you could give an example from the news, like the recent Trafigura super-injunction saga or the Chilcot Inquiry - both are significant to ordinary people, the former involved restricting freedom of the press - bought, essentially, the latter is a former ruler being held accountable (supposedly).

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.