Turn on thread page Beta

Valentine depression watch

So Valentine is getting near, and people in my uni and halls are starting to plan and talk about the upcoming 'valentine formals'.

Maybe its a typical dilemma, but I have spent roughly 3 months in uni, and haven't found a girl that I've fallen for. I am starting to feel really depressed about it.

I don't want to sound arrogant. The thing is that I am very good-looking, and people, especially girls, don't know how to act or how to be around me. People act strange around me and think that they have to be extra cool in front of me and such, and sometimes they are just nervous. I just want people to be normal around me. But more, I just want to find a nice girl

The only girl I really started to like here has a bf she loves..

I used to hate being in love, but now I just miss it. I am also sick of the thought of going to the club to hit on girls.

Sorry if I sound like an arrogant prick, who is picky with girls. This is just how I feel and I wanted to get it out.

ReputationRep:
    A least you've been in love before.
    **** valentines day and FML.

ReputationRep:
    How about looking elsewhere, instead of clubs to find a girl?

If the girl you like is in a happy relationship then I'm afraid you need to build a bridge and get over it,
    and stop being so damn picky!

ReputationRep:
    you should see my anti valentine's day thread, that ought to make you feel better.

don't worry about it, there's no need to get all depressed just because you haven't found a gf by the 14th of february.

ReputationRep:
    Hang in their OP, there's more than one chick in the world you'll get on with. Uni isn't the paradise I thought it'd be and have found one-ish girl I've liked in the three years I've been here. **** happens, doesn't mean it'll always be like that.
    As much as people say Valentine's is only a day, which is true, it is one which does remind you that you either have someone, or you don't - that you can't deny and it does suck if you are alone. End of the day who doesn't like the affection a relationship brings? But as I said, not the end of the world.

(Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    How about looking elsewhere, instead of clubs to find a girl?

If the girl you like is in a happy relationship then I'm afraid you need to build a bridge and get over it,
    and stop being so damn picky!
    That is just flat out bull. I know the situation OP is in, and frankly, why the hell should someone have to settle for less? Why should we lower are standards because the average British girl is overweight (Size 16), doesn't know how to wear make-up etc?
    Stop being picky? What kind of insecure cretin would settle for someone just because it's the right gender, rather than it's someone they like? :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    valentines day is **** blah blah blah..

head up, you'll find the one for you, especially with your stunning looks..

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if u practiced being less of an arrogant prick, who is picky with girls and learned to read people better (maybe they dnt feel nervous its just they dnt like u) u may hav a chance, especially with u being very good looking ........

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry I'm a girl at uni and I thought i'd find a guy I liked but I haven't, and like you, the guys i've been attracted to all have girls at home!
    Chin up hun, you sound like a nice bloke! Girls will see that and start the que!

Valentines shouldn't rule the roost, its sickly and gushy! its not about love, its about making money from expensive flowers.

Keep smiling, the girls will come! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So Valentine is getting near, and people in my uni and halls are starting to plan and talk about the upcoming 'valentine formals'.

Maybe its a typical dilemma, but I have spent roughly 3 months in uni, and haven't found a girl that I've fallen for. I am starting to feel really depressed about it.

I don't want to sound arrogant. The thing is that I am very good-looking, and people, especially girls, don't know how to act or how to be around me. People act strange around me and think that they have to be extra cool in front of me and such, and sometimes they are just nervous. I just want people to be normal around me. But more, I just want to find a nice girl

The only girl I really started to like here has a bf she loves..

I used to hate being in love, but now I just miss it. I am also sick of the thought of going to the club to hit on girls.

Sorry if I sound like an arrogant prick, who is picky with girls. This is just how I feel and I wanted to get it out.

Time will be your friend (y)

At least you're good looking I guess. And straight.

You could be ugly and gay , then you'd be ****** ! The dating pool is TINY.

Good luck , and cheer up , Valentine's Day isn't particularly enjoyed by anyone as far as I can see. I'll be single and tbh as much as I'd like a gf , it doesn't bother me that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airia)
    Maybe if u practiced being less of an arrogant prick, who is picky with girls and learned to read people better (maybe they dnt feel nervous its just they dnt like u) u may hav a chance, especially with u being very good looking ........
    Just because someone says they are good looking doesn't mean they are arrogant. That's just malign jealousy or sheer ignorance - your choice.
    I know that if you are good looking and you start speaking to a girl, the first thing they almost always think is "He's talking to me because he wants to try and lay me".
    How about good looking guys enjoy conversations?
    What's wrong with being picky? Should you just settle for someone because they are the right gender?
    What the hell is wrong with you?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Hang in their OP, there's more than one chick in the world you'll get on with. Uni isn't the paradise I thought it'd be and have found one-ish girl I've liked in the three years I've been here. **** happens, doesn't mean it'll always be like that.
    As much as people say Valentine's is only a day, which is true, it is one which does remind you that you either have someone, or you don't - that you can't deny and it does suck if you are alone. End of the day who doesn't like the affection a relationship brings? But as I said, not the end of the world.

That is just flat out bull. I know the situation OP is in, and frankly, why the hell should someone have to settle for less? Why should we lower are standards because the average British girl is overweight (Size 16), doesn't know how to wear make-up etc?
    Stop being picky? What kind of insecure cretin would settle for someone just because it's the right gender, rather than it's someone they like? :shifty:
    Jesus Christ, want a tampon?
    I never said go for a size 16 who can't apply make-up.
    There are plenty of nice girls out there that OP has probably overlooked.I'm just as picky and I'm learning that I need to stop it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winnieee)
    Time will be your friend (y)

At least you're good looking I guess. And straight.

You could be ugly and gay , then you'd be ****** ! The dating pool is TINY.

Good luck , and cheer up , Valentine's Day isn't particularly enjoyed by anyone as far as I can see. I'll be single and tbh as much as I'd like a gf , it doesn't bother me that much.

Are insinuating that you're ugly??

And srsly why do people get depressed about these things? OK you haven't got a bf/gf on Valentines day, but you also didn't have one yesterday, or the other 363.25 days of the year :facepalm:. It doesn't even cross my mind to be depressed about it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get depressed about V Day, it's a load of **** anyway, a lot of people would agree with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    Jesus Christ, want a tampon?
    I never said go for a size 16 who can't apply make-up.
    There are plenty of nice girls out there that OP has probably overlooked.I'm just as picky and I'm learning that I need to stop it.
    I'll pass on the tampon, but I'll give you a brain if you want.
    I've been in uni for 3 years and what I've learnt is that 99% of all women I've met are insecure, and either overweight, un-stylish, or flat out unattractive. In short, there are not plenty of nice girls. There are plenty of average girls, but average is what I have just described above.
    As I said, why should someone stop being picky? Why settle with someone rather then someone you are really happy with? Doing the former just reinforces my point that too many people are insecure as they are happy to lower their standards just to have someone at their side & in their bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Just because someone says they are good looking doesn't mean they are arrogant. That's just malign jealousy or sheer ignorance - your choice.
    I know that if you are good looking and you start speaking to a girl, the first thing they almost always think is "He's talking to me because he wants to try and lay me".
    How about good looking guys enjoy conversations?
    What's wrong with being picky? Should you just settle for someone because they are the right gender?
    What the hell is wrong with you?!
    The guy who started the thread said he was being an arrogant prick, yeh girls do get nervous when good looking guys talk to them but saying people feel the need to act cool round him like hes this totally amazing guy is arrogant tbh. No u shouldnt settle for someone just because they r the right gender, but u shouldnt be over picky either which it sounds like he might be.
    He may be ignorant not arrogant and if he is my bad, because then he obviously cnt help himself. :yep:

Thanks to you guys for the kind words. Some of you seem to be really nice people!

(Original post by Mazty)
    I think you are right.
    I dont know, but... If I don't "fall" for a girl by attraction or personality, I'd rather be alone than just try to find any girl which I think is possible to "get" just in order to have someone for reasons such as sex.
    I believe in love and attraction.

ReputationRep:
    Valentine's day is just what the shops make it.

ReputationRep:
    At least your honest!
    I doubt you'll ever meet a girl at a club? probs just have a cheeky pull but nothing else!! meet through mutual friends, its the best way! if you want a girl don't look for her in a club 'cos trust me the next time you meet with her for a 'date' or whatever, it will be as awkward as hellllll!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airia)
    ...saying people feel the need to act cool round him like hes this totally amazing guy is arrogant tbh. No u shouldnt settle for someone just because they r the right gender, but u shouldnt be over picky
    Well as none of us know the guy, he could be telling the truth about people trying to act cool. I certainly know that in the "right" (Read wrong) social groups that could happen.
    How can you be overly picky? Unless you are say a chubby thicko wanting a attractive, rich etc chick, I think people should be more picky as people are happy with less than more nowadays- probably part of why the average size of women has increased, and why the rate of divorce is so high as people are going with anything rather then being picky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    I'll pass on the tampon, but I'll give you a brain if you want.
    I've been in uni for 3 years and what I've learnt is that 99% of all women I've met are insecure, and either overweight, un-stylish, or flat out unattractive. In short, there are not plenty of nice girls. There are plenty of average girls, but average is what I have just described above.
    As I said, why should someone stop being picky? Why settle with someone rather then someone you are really happy with? Doing the former just reinforces my point that too many people are insecure as they are happy to lower their standards just to have someone at their side & in their bed.
    Well that's your uni, I don't think it applies to every single Uni up and down the country.
    People should stop being picky. It's not about going out with a hound,
    it's about maybe going for someone who's not drop dead gorgeous but has a fantastic personality to make up for their average looks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.