Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamster33)
    being from nigeria you might not understand this but the vast majority of black people regard themselves as british and fail to acknowledge their african roots, they have now got there own sub culture, after losing much of their initial identity.
    quite true. OP's suggestion is just daft on so many levels, and would in fact be a step backward for society and the 'black community'. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i thought blacks hated apartheid and now hes practically asking for it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    i thought blacks hated apartheid and now their practically asking for it?!
    1 BLACK DOES NOT REPESENTS MORE THAN 1 BILLION PEOPLE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjon123)
    1 BLACK DOES NOT REPESENTS MORE THAN 1 BILLION PEOPLE.
    i know i made a mistake, see my edited post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riley001)
    Yes, but the state wouldn't be defined against the White Man, it would merely exist to help Black people around the world gain independence which I believe doesn't exist to day? If you disagree please reply.

An example is Affirmative action,I believe that we should not need to be helped in order to achieve. Isn't it patronising? Isn't America based upon equal opportunity and not giving one group a head start?

An independent black state may solve this issue because ,hypothetically if it is successful it will give black people around the world,racial independence. I know some may not like the idea of racial independence.
    Well the fundamental assumption of a "black state" (as with affirmative action) is that black people cannot prosper in a "mixed" state, which is untrue (although affirmative action has more going for it as it merely aims to reduce historic inequality). Why would a black person have a better quality of life / equality of opportunity in such a state?

ReputationRep:
    A whole black state.

If I said I wanted a white state I'd be labelled a racist so how comes this works one way but not the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splodger)
    A whole black state.

If I said I wanted a white state I'd be labelled a racist so how comes this works one way but not the other.
    I agree with you and I'm black. This is the most retarded idea I've heard. So retarded that I'd ban the guy if I could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splodger)
    A whole black state.

this is exactly what i was going to say, but the OP

is just a fail really:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    What is this ****? I would oppose any state that claims it's existance on racial grounds - race being a largely social construct. Will you kindly never log onto TSR again please?
    Take it easy.

It was purely a hypothetical arguement.

ReputationRep:
    You idiot, there is an Independent Black State.

It's called Haiti. Even before the earthquake it was a ****hole, now its even more of a ****hole. I'm sure you could live there if you really wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    You idiot, there is an Independent Black State.

It's called Haiti. Even before the earthquake it was a ****hole, now its even more of a ****hole. I'm sure you could live there if you really wanted.
    How mature, non-racist and empathetic. You could argue against this cretin without the use of racism or total apathy towards people in a desperate situation. Maybe you would like to share some of their fates....

:bricks:

prick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Which white man?

:awesome:

But seriously, my mum says there's a lot of black people in Africa?

Hahahahahaha, rep tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the state wouldn't be defined against the White Man, it would merely exist to help Black people around the world gain independence which I believe doesn't exist to day? If you disagree please reply.

An example is Affirmative action,I believe that we should not need to be helped in order to achieve. Isn't it patronising? Isn't America based upon equal opportunity and not giving one group a head start?

An independent black state may solve this issue because ,hypothetically if it is successful it will give black people around the world,racial independence. I know some may not like the idea of racial independence.
    Agreed that you shouldn't be helped in order to achieve, but just separating black from white wouldn't solve the root of the problem you've pointed out (namely blaming the white man - people will do it regardless, even if they're in a different country). Cultural problems don't disappear just by putting up a wall. If you want to help the black community, stick to activism in your own country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liberties)
    Agreed that you shouldn't be helped in order to achieve, but just separating black from white wouldn't solve the root of the problem you've pointed out (namely blaming the white man - people will do it regardless, even if they're in a different country). Cultural problems don't disappear just by putting up a wall. If you want to help the black community, stick to activism in your own country.

Yes thank you for that profound point. I am not in any way attempting to blame the white Man, I am merely acting upon observation.One could say that now integration has failed, and there is segregation today but it is on a worldwide scale. Segregation still exists in America today but instead of being a public policy it is now a private preference. On the whole it would seem that communities tend to cling to the practice of staying with their own kind socioeconomically and racially.We can then infer(due to evidence) that the black societies are on the whole in a worse condition, an obvious example Haiti . So one could argue that a wall already exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamster33)
    being from nigeria you might not understand this but the vast majority of black people regard themselves as british and fail to acknowledge their african roots, they have now got there own sub culture, after losing much of their initial identity.
    My family are from the old British colonies (Jamaica, Guyana) and me being a Black Britsh-born girl i guess i'd come under your definition of losing my identity. TBH I'm a bit bored of this viewpoint. It is not me that lost my African identity, it was my ancestors who were taken as slaves over 150 years ago that lost theirs. I acknowledge my African roots but I personally don't feel much connection them as neither me nor my parents, nor my grandparents etc have been exposed to it. As with most Carribbeans my family is mixed with lots of different races from white European to Chinese, so isn't that also part of my initial identity too? So yes, there is a new sub-culture because for me to stand up and say "I am African" it would require me to deny every other part of my identity which makes no sense. As far as i'm concerned I was born in Britain, raised in Britain, educated in Britain so therefore yes, I am British.

...and OP no, I don't want an independent black state. That idea is outdated and by today's standards just plain racist. The way forward is intergrating races, we've had centuries of dividing them so i think it's about time we shake things up a bit

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry you think its a racist idea,but then please give us evidence for such an assumption do not make foolish comments with no evidence. Separation is not racist if both parties enjoy equal facilities, it could be argued that it is unfair but not racist.
    Bloody hell man. People fought for decades in the United States and South Africa to expose that for the despicable lie that it is and here you are propagating it again as if nothing in the last century ever happened? Jog on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    What is this ****? I would oppose any state that claims it's existance on racial grounds - race being a largely social construct. Will you kindly never log onto TSR again please?
    Kindly tell me what state claims its existence on grounds which are not socially constructed?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the comment above re: defining a nation on the grounds of race, an entirely social contract. Nationalisms of Europe are also to an extent social constructs, I am not 'biologically' or 'ethnically' British (though the BNP would say I was.)

I'd recommend to the OP some works on nationalism such as 'Imagined Communities' by Benedict Anderson or works by Ernest Gellner.The OP says he is Nigerian, well I'd ask him what does he think that means? What are the social, religious, spiritual and economic customs that comprise that particular nation? I presume he and his neighbours do share such cultural bonds, even if they may appear cliche to us now in this nation-state hating era.

Does he think that such characteristics are more important to a sense of community and nationhood than the colour of the skin of its members?

Of course, playing devil's advocate, the 'common bond' among many black people is the oppression, segregation, discrimination and violence inflicted on them over the centuries by white people. But of course, it wasn't always just white people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.