Turn on thread page Beta

driving test tomorrow watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im so worried about my test, anyone got any ideas about how to win over an examiner and calm nerves

ReputationRep:
    Make him/her feel special.

ReputationRep:
    Peep show, series 6, episode 5. Watch, learn, repeat as needed.

on a serious note. don't try and win them over just concentrate on the driving, they dont want to be your friend they want to do a job.

ReputationRep:
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    Well make sure you turn on the car before you try to drive it, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George99)
    im so worried about my test, anyone got any ideas about how to win over an examiner and calm nerves
    when i had my test i just thought of it as another driving lesson with a different instructor.. ill give you a few tips...

If for example your at a roundabout or waiting to turn and not sure whether to go or not.. wait! its better to get 1 minor for hesitation rather than a major fault and instant fail

in the lesson you have one hour before your test with your original instructor make sure you go over all your manevoures and practice most the ones you arent too good at, for me i spent the whole lesson on reversing around a corner, make sure you drive around on the actual test route no point going round a random place that wont even be on the test.
    Also dont worry too much about the show me, tell me questions they are only minor faults if you get them wrong

Make sure you use bus lanes if your allowed to and dont use them if your not allowed to, its an instant fail if theres a bus lane that you can use and you dont use it! which is a bit harsh i though

and finally... GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    Is this your first time? Try not to be so nervous - all you can do is practice. I failed twice I cried my eyes out both time because I put a lot of time and hard work into it. However be positive and do the best you can - that's all you can do really.

However here is a link that may help whilst you prepare for your test

Try not to think about 'pass' & 'fail' when doing the test - just focus. What frustrates me is that they charge so much money for a small test. They can be as picky as they want but seriously they are money grabbers.

Do you not have anyone in the family who can help you practice on a quite road or place? Perhps that may help but just practice if it helps

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Check before pulling off - even if you think you usually do it make sure it's pronounced! I got failed for that the other day; even though I'm pretty sure I looked - just not enough. It's a stupid thing to fail for :p:
    Good luck! It's not that scary, just don't think of it as a test.

ReputationRep:
    I took a blackcurrant losenger to my test, apart from helping with the severe nausea it seemed to calm me down.
    Just drive, dont think to much about whats coming (ie maneuvers) if your busy thinking about that you wont be concentrating on whats going on in the moment.

Large breakfasts and lots of liquids before hand are bad too, you dont want to be thinking "damn i need the toilet halfway round" its distracting!

ReputationRep:
    Don't try to win them over. They're going to know that you're trying to suck up to them because so many people try it. Be nice and genuine and most importantly be yourself and they'll know you're a down to earth person who wants to pass.
    That's what I did anyway =D Actually, I did something embarrassing I accidentally grabbed the examiners knee thinking it was the gear stick! Man, he took up so much space!!!! But he let me pass, so bless him

GOOD LUCKKKKK xxx
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Have a bundle of fifties under the seat. Then at the start of the test slide the seat back and say "Oh would you look at that!" - measure the examiner's reaction to see if they are susceptible to bribery, and if so, you're in.

On a more serious note, good luck, I have mine on Wednesday. Just be polite and considerate, dress right (nothing boy racerish), don't get depressed and think you've failed if you do something wrong, just carry on as normal, you might not have. At the end of the day it's luck of the draw, all depends on who you get and what situations you get.

Also good resource for practicing show me tell you questions if you haven't already: http://www.learnerdriving.com/drivin...e-tell-me.html

GL

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have my driving test too tomorrow! Im really nervous too!
    Good Luck!

=)

ReputationRep:
    i have failed it , apparently when i did the turn in the road i did not look left enough/ it was only a glance. i clearly looked, twice in fact, but it wasn't enough apparently Make it really obvious when you do the manevoures do your OBSERVATIONS!!

ReputationRep:
    Just don't be too nervous! You're examiner will probably chat to you, so if you want to, chat back! I ended up having a long conversation about how the examiner used to be in the army etc etc. It calmed me down alot being able to chat, as I felt more like I was just in a lesson.
    Also if something goes wrong, don't just automatically panic! I thought I had failed at one point (I sped through a 30 zone :s), but it was all fine in the end!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't sleep the night before mine, I was so worried!
    But honestly, it's not as bad as you think! Just think you've done all the routes before and you're obviously at the standard to pass otherwise your driving instructor wouldn't have put you in for your test! Good luck though, but I'm sure you don't need it

ReputationRep:
    Be assertive, concentrate and relax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tikkitak)
    Just don't be too nervous! You're examiner will probably chat to you, so if you want to, chat back! I ended up having a long conversation about how the examiner used to be in the army etc etc. It calmed me down alot being able to chat, as I felt more like I was just in a lesson.
    Also if something goes wrong, don't just automatically panic! I thought I had failed at one point (I sped through a 30 zone :s), but it was all fine in the end!
    I sped too I think it's a common thing to do.. I immediately slowed down though and I passed first time. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Bribe them!

Maybe a bit more money than £1000. They're not cheap to bribe!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    How did it go?

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.