Turn on thread page Beta

Are too many people at university? watch

• View Poll Results: Are too many people at university?
    Yes
    80.24%
    No
    19.76%

(Original post by conroe-killed-the-k8-star)
    Ha! - The course in question is here , though at least it's only a foundation degree:

http://www.bathspa.ac.uk/courses/und...ormance-fd.asp
    Is it just me or does that course look like a GREAT course? :O it shouldn't be something you learn at uni though...

ReputationRep:
    i was talking to a quite intelligent person, he told me how he was planning on doing an apprenticeship to be an electrician. i was a bit surprised. he then explained the amount of money he would make and then the lack of student debt, and how he thought he would not enjoy the university environment. and by the end i thought this i had changed my mind, yet everyone else in the class was help bent on thinking a degree was the best for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Ha! - The course in question is here , though at least it's only a foundation degree:

http://www.bathspa.ac.uk/courses/und...ormance-fd.asp

Personally id pay to see a bachelors in Hairy Midgetry. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I certainly don't think so, personally. I'd take no issue with EVERYONE attending university.
    You really think this would work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinishHim!)
    You really think this would work?
    Not practically, no. There's just no way to educate that many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Urkel)
    I wonder if the skills I learnt at magic camp are transferable . . .

:wizard:

should've applied to bloody hogwarts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Not practically, no. There's just no way to educate that many people.
    Also, the 'degrees' of recent times would just move on to something else, as candidates would need something to differentiate themselves. Perhaps masters or PHDs, thus more students in debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whisperings)
    This.

I know for a fact there are people in my sixth form applying to uni who don't even understand how to write a good essay - they don't touch books and are definitely not uni material.
    The reasons they give for applying? The social life. :rolleyes:
    I got a chemical engineering degree without writing an essay from the age of 16 to graduation. Not sure if that makes it a less worthwhile degree but there you go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky Stothart)
    I got a chemical engineering degree without writing an essay from the age of 16 to graduation. Not sure if that makes it a less worthwhile degree but there you go...
    Oh no, I wasn't implying that a degree is worthwhile if it involves the writing of essays. Sorry if that came across. I was just using it as an example of how some people don't really care/aren't interested in the learning part of the course. They're just motivated by the "brighter prospects" (better paying jobs - maybe) and social life.

ReputationRep:
    Excluding economics and possibly psychology I'd definitely agree with the above as a Mathematical Physicist :cool:
    Yeah, all that politics stuff, pointless. I mean what do we need the United Nations for, just scrap it. Diplomatic service? Nah, we don't need to maintain relations with other countries.

Demographics? What's the point of being able to predict population shifts, who cares about pensions 20 years down the line.

Pedagogy? We don't need to know about effective ways to teach people stuff.

History? It's in the past so why bother.

Languages? Well that's pointless now since we already decided above not to keep in touch with other countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whisperings)
    Oh no, I wasn't implying that a degree is worthwhile if it involves the writing of essays. Sorry if that came across. I was just using it as an example of how some people don't really care/aren't interested in the learning part of the course. They're just motivated by the "brighter prospects" (better paying jobs - maybe) and social life.
    yeah i know quite a few people who just came to uni to avoid work/an excuse to be wasted for 3 years. And of them about 4 have already been kicked out for going to no lectures :p:

ReputationRep:
    Excluding economics and possibly psychology I'd definitely agree with the above as a Mathematical Physicist :cool:
    You're not related to the sixty symbols website by any chance are you?

That is pretty much the finest you tube channel I have ever come across. And the Periodic videos are also immense.

Sorry for the OT. Personally, whilst I think there probably are too many people at university doing degrees that are not really worth while, far from detracting your position at post grad it may strengthen it.

If you've done physics/maths/chemistry/other "respected" degree you're more likely to stand out in a field of media and film study post grads.

ReputationRep:
    I think university is viewed in the wrong way by alot of people who now go there, like omgz don't have to face the real world for 3 more years, let's go ":awesome:"

ReputationRep:
    I voted yes, but not because I feel that the amount of people are 'devaluing' degrees. It's because a lot of people who go to university are clearly not motivated to work, are just there to go out and get trashed and are wasting their time. If the same amount of people who went to university actually did so because they wanted to improve their prospects and education and were willing to make the effort to do so, that would be fine. It would just mean that people would put that extra effort into getting a job. But it annoys me when I go to lectures and half of the people there don't give a **** about anything.
    I admit that there are some lectures that bore me, but these people are just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Repressor)
    Yeah, it really isn't worth it if you're not doing a Science related degree.

SOCIAL SCIENCES AREN'T REAL SCIENCES.

You're being conned.
    I do business with computing, I have just secured a placement for next year with a very respectable company. Business is a social science. Are you telling me that my degree is worthless and I could have secured that placement without doing so? If so, thanks because it's news to me...
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    A fair few people who I've spoken to say that they just want the degree and that's it. They don't want to do the work; they just want the qualification because it appears that you need a degree to get anywhere 'decent' these days.
    It is annoying when i hear this, but also upsetting, because I think it's true. Whether you actually really need a degree to get the job that you want seems to be irrelevant- the majority view is that you should go to university to and get a degree. Not because you're intelligent and a hard worker, but because it is the 'given' thing to do, or so many people would seem to think and shove down your throat.
    Obviously, this creates pressure and results in a lot of people at university who really don't want to be there, or are there for all the wrong reasons. It's a sad fact.
    What's even sadder is that many of these people will realise this half way through their course when it is a silly time to drop-out, and seems more sensible to just finish what they've started. Thus, their time at university is a waste of money, a waste of time, and often the cause of a lot of stress and unhappiness that could have been avoided.
    I think it takes guts to drop out of university (if you're situation is genuinely bad) because of the social stigma attached to it. But I think it takes even more guts to not succumb to the pressure of doing something you really do not want to do in the first place.

Mini essay/rant over.

ReputationRep:
    lol at the poll results.

ReputationRep:
    A mate of mine said that if it were not for degrees such as florist arranging and the like, tuition fees would not be as high.

There's a girl on my course who did a media degree and is now doing a nursing degree. I don't even want to think about the amount of debt she's in considering she's also took a gap year travelling.

Also, I think people need to be provided the different options/routes available instead of just going to uni and not thinking realistically what job they can get out of it.

ReputationRep:
    I do. Theres a lot of pointless jumping through hoops, whereas if people were working they may be developing useful skills for their career anyway. It depends on the course and the students etc though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2010
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.