Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are too many people at university? watch

• View Poll Results: Are too many people at university?
    Yes
    80.24%
    No
    19.76%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshMcD)

Well quite obviously... I wasn't suggesting that you should study physics if you want to get into media. What I was suggesting was that in the vast spectrum of graduate jobs out there, the vast majority of employers would prefer a pysics grad than a media grad.
    :yep: But the ones who study media-related courses aren't TRYING to be compared alongside the physics grad, so does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, stupid, lazy ones must be removed from universities

ReputationRep:
    There was a thread in GUD the other day asking what everyone thought about recent cuts to university funding, and only two or three of us replied. I linked to a report about some worrying cuts being made at high-end institutions, which could have a significant impact on the future of academia (what's taught, how it's taught, who teaches it) and no one is bothered. Yet as soon as a thread like this appears there are five pages full of the usual 'close down ex-polys', 'only science matters', etc. etc.

Typical TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    I think the problem is more to do with how some institutions stretch the definition of "university".
    Definitely agree with this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Really? Someone with a Master's in Astrophysics would be just as well qualified to represent the country in a United Nations committee discussing solutions to the political situation in Somallia? Right.
    As far as the FCO is concerned, yes.

ReputationRep:
    While I agree there are too many people doing crap courses, I don't think there are too many people at university... they should just be studying something more worthwhile and less David Beckham or fashion orientated.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is too many people at university for the wrong reasons and only a handful there for a worthwhile reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    :yep: But the ones who study media-related courses aren't TRYING to be compared alongside the physics grad, so does it matter?
    I'm not sure really. Given the current climate if we exclude NHS degrees and perhaps Law, do you think the majority or minority of graduates have a career in mind specifically related to their degree?

I'd tend to think most under graduates would have an idea of the industry they want to be in by the time they reach 3rd year but not the specific job. Similarly most media students must accept that whilst they might want a media based job it's a very difficult industry to get into, so for the majority of graduates who are applying just for general graduate positions, the better position to be in would be to hold a science degree over say, media or film studies?

ReputationRep:
    so for the majority of graduates who are applying just for general graduate positions, the better position to be in would be to hold a science degree over say, media or film studies?
    Really? Does a company actually care what subject you did as long as you pass the online tests, say the right things in an interview then do well in the assessment centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Really? Does a company actually care what subject you did as long as you pass the online tests, say the right things in an interview then do well in the assessment centre?
    Probably not. CEO of the last company I worked in graduated in home economics, and that company was sold for ONE BILLION DOLLORZ!

In summary, I'm talking *****.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. CEO of the last company I worked in graduated in home economics, and that company was sold for ONE BILLION DOLLORZ!

In summary, I'm talking *****.
    *yawn*

So when do they decide who to reject based on subject?

Have you been through the grad recruitment process?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    *yawn*

So when do they decide who to reject based on subject?

Have you been through the grad recruitment process?
    I've just admitted I'm talking crap and agreed with you... I can't really do much more than that can I?

ReputationRep:
    I've just admitted I'm talking crap and agreed with you... I can't really do much more than that can I?

I thought you were being sarcy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I thought you were being sarcy
    It's ok, I realise the rarity of someone admitting they are wrong/don't know enough about it to comment on the internet.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes, far too many people are at university 'just because' or because they think it's a three (four in Scotland) year long party. Only the academically motivated and achieving should be at university - a place of further education. Universities should be tax payer funded so anyone, of any social class that meets the academic requirements can attend, and won't come out with a huge sum of debt.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I think it should be harder to get into university. Not a decrease in numbers. But higher entry standards.
    To deter people away, and also keep University exclusively for those who are the best in their respective course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to whoever negged me for that, ******.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there are too many universities and too many duff degrees. They devalue the significance of a degree and employers then begin to lose faith in the system, and therefore they are increasing their entry standards as a result of that.

I was reading in the Guardian the other day about Wolverhampton and Cumbria universities closing down due to cuts - now, is it me or has anybody else never heard of these institutions?

It's farcical.

ReputationRep:
    I think that Uni should be for the straight-A or near enough students
    Maybe with the lower ones accepting BBB or something.
    The rest of the demand can be served by colleges and vocational courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    I think that Uni should be for the straight-A or near enough students
    Maybe with the lower ones accepting BBB or something.
    The rest of the demand can be served by colleges and vocational courses.
    I think you're wrong. I went from Bs and Cs at A-Level to a Masters with Distinction at UCL and an AHRC-funded PhD, and that's in medieval English and Latin literature. Are you saying I would have been better suited to a vocational course?

Not everyone reaches their academic peak at 16-18.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.