Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi!

Well, since TSR user uisp messaged me to inform me that he too is taking the masters of science in biomedical engineering at Imperial college London, I thought this would be a great opportunity to try and find some more peers!

If you're doing this course starting October 2010 then comment up! :yep:

--
    Ritchie

ReputationRep:
    :itsme:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'll be joining you this autumn! Well, unless something terrible happens and I won't get a required 2.1.. :o:
    Add me on facebook if you wish! (just add something about imperial in comments as I don't generally accept requests from ppl I don't know!)
    Which stream did you opt for?
    xx

Hi Triwka!

I don't think you choose your stream till the autumn term but I'm going mental trying to pick one! I want stuff from both the medical physics and neurotechnology streams. I suppose for my dissertation I'd rather do something neuro-based but I can't resist some medical imagery!
    Ahhh!
    What one you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    Hi ritchie!
    Oh, nice, I thought we had to specify one in the application - I think they are aiming to get ~20 people for each stream..
    Anyways, I went for the neurotechnology Have enough of medical imaging in my final year - would be a nice change!
    I'm Kristina btw

ReputationRep:
    Hey triwka!

I emailed Admissions about streams a while ago. Here's what they answered me then:

"You do not need to choose a stream until about August 2010 when we contact all our offer holders asking what stream they are interested in.
    This gives the Course Director an indication of numbers of students per stream so he can allocate teaching resources.

However, if you are successful in joining the course you will make your final decision in November 2010 and you can speak to the Course Director about the different streams before you make your final decision."

ReputationRep:
    and about time someone found the thread

Our team of awesomeness is growing!

ReputationRep:
    Heya!

Just a quick question. I submitted my application for the MSc at the end of February. What was the process before offers/rejection? Is there an interview or anything or is it just based on the application?

I have my fingers and toes crossed!

Thanks,
    Hannah

(Original post by hannahw650)
    Heya!

Just a quick question. I submitted my application for the MSc at the end of February. What was the process before offers/rejection? Is there an interview or anything or is it just based on the application?

I have my fingers and toes crossed!

Thanks,
    Hannah
    Hi Hannah,

I had no interview at all. Nothing. Null. ziltch!
    I submitted my application late July 2009 and heard back from them with an offer 2 weeks and 2 days later. Of cause this was their last application period for the 2009 entry period so I'd assume I was just filling last places. I deferred to the 2010 entry.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

I am very interested in applying for the 2010 entry in this MSc but have a few questions about it :s

I studied Electrical and Electronic Engineering in Spain (called Telecommunications Engineering down there) with an overall mark of 70.5%, is that ok for entering this masters? I also took some image and sound processing modules but I'm not too sure about my non engineering skills towards this MSc, I don't want to be very lost in it in terms of Bio/Chem topics. I am very interested in the field and I want to apply my engineering background in some exciting and rewarding fields like Medicine or Biology.

The second issue is related to the R&D careers within the department. I really want to pursue a research career after the masters, but I don't have much idea about if they work closer to R&D or the industry. What are the chances to join a PhD programme after the masters?

Sorry for the amount of questions, many thanks!!

Jose

(Original post by josemrivera)
    Hi guys!

I am very interested in applying for the 2010 entry in this MSc but have a few questions about it :s

I studied Electrical and Electronic Engineering in Spain (called Telecommunications Engineering down there) with an overall mark of 70.5%, is that ok for entering this masters? I also took some image and sound processing modules but I'm not too sure about my non engineering skills towards this MSc, I don't want to be very lost in it in terms of Bio/Chem topics. I am very interested in the field and I want to apply my engineering background in some exciting and rewarding fields like Medicine or Biology.

The second issue is related to the R&D careers within the department. I really want to pursue a research career after the masters, but I don't have much idea about if they work closer to R&D or the industry. What are the chances to join a PhD programme after the masters?

Jose
    Hi Jose,

My background is also Electronic engineering. I have a diploma in electrical and electronic engineering and a degree in Cybernetics, i.e. nothing to do with chem or bio, so I'm in the same boat as you.
    I got 65% overall for my degree so yours is more than enough.

As for their direction I'm not really sure, although I too am interested in R&D. I think due to the 6 month project it will be more research based than industrial. Either way, a masters from Imperial is more than enough to set you up for whatever you choose to do after.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Jose
    Hola,

I think that if you really are interested in biomedical engineering, you should definitely give it a go.

The guys at admissions must have enough experience looking at applicants profiles and undergraduate course to see if they can ´keep up with the topics taught at the msc. So why not let them be the judges?

Now go apply!

ReputationRep:
    Hola amigos!

After I struggled to get the second reference from a Bioengineering researcher I finally got an answer from one of my lecturers back in Spain (these guys really panic when you tell them to write a reference in English) so after two weeks with my application ready I'm thinking of submitting it immediately, even if my lecturer doesn't submit the reference in these days.

I'm doing this because I panicked when my second choice showed a closed/full status and I don't want to be out of this course.

I am also doing an internship and my boss wrote me a letter just in case I didn't have two academic references.

Now there's my question, do you think I should submit the application now? Is there much competition to enter this course and could be full soon?

Many thanks and send me luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jose,
    Well, my application was accepted long before the second referee managed to upload his reference - which probably shows the significance of references on the outcome. So if you're happy with everything else in your application (i.e personal statement etc), then just submit it. But then again, I don't think they'll be closing entry before the deadline (which is 28 May I believe?).
    Good luck!

Hola amigos!

After I struggled to get the second reference from a Bioengineering researcher I finally got an answer from one of my lecturers back in Spain (these guys really panic when you tell them to write a reference in English) so after two weeks with my application ready I'm thinking of submitting it immediately, even if my lecturer doesn't submit the reference in these days.

I'm doing this because I panicked when my second choice showed a closed/full status and I don't want to be out of this course.

I am also doing an internship and my boss wrote me a letter just in case I didn't have two academic references.

Now there's my question, do you think I should submit the application now? Is there much competition to enter this course and could be full soon?

Many thanks and send me luck!
    Yeah, submit it now and worry about references later.

Then you can join the rest of us winners when you get accepted

ReputationRep:
    hey fellow classmates...

I have also been accepted for the MSc in biomed engg program at imperial...

just wanted to knw what you guys think of my choice...
    had offers from oxford and ucl but rejected them on d grounds of...

oxford: faculty not prestigious as imperial, not recognized with IPEM...
    ucl: very laid back(could have been an advantage if i wanted a degree just for the sake of a degree but not the case)...

Also Ritchie888, i read somewhere that you had deffered your course, can you let me know how you did it and how early did you do it?
    cauz the fees for international student like myself just shot up to 19.5K£ and i would have a hard time paying for those...so i am currently reviewing the option of deffering it...

Lastly, good to see that many of you have already decided your streams...i am sturck between medical physics and neurotech
    Medical Phy: lots of job available if i wanted to jump into healthcare.....very vast....loads of vacancies...
    Neurotech: dunno abt d job market....but a very good area of research for PhD....have read a lot abt it ....sounds exciting...

(Original post by Tushar03)
    hey fellow classmates...

I have also been accepted for the MSc in biomed engg program at imperial...

just wanted to knw what you guys think of my choice...
    had offers from oxford and ucl but rejected them on d grounds of...

oxford: faculty not prestigious as imperial, not recognized with IPEM...
    ucl: very laid back(could have been an advantage if i wanted a degree just for the sake of a degree but not the case)...

Also Ritchie888, i read somewhere that you had deffered your course, can you let me know how you did it and how early did you do it?
    cauz the fees for international student like myself just shot up to 19.5K£ and i would have a hard time paying for those...so i am currently reviewing the option of deffering it...

Lastly, good to see that many of you have already decided your streams...i am sturck between medical physics and neurotech
    Medical Phy: lots of job available if i wanted to jump into healthcare.....very vast....loads of vacancies...
    Neurotech: dunno abt d job market....but a very good area of research for PhD....have read a lot abt it ....sounds exciting...
    Hi Tushar03,

Congrats on your offer

I applied to Oxford and was turned down (twice!) but if I got a place at both Oxford and Imperial I think I would have chosen Imperial as I like the idea of living in London, lots of friends there already and I was impressed at their open day. However, note that only the medical physics and mechanics streams at Imperial are accredited by IPEM, the neurotech one isn't.

I haven't decided on my stream yet and I'm in-between the same two choices as you; medical physics and neurotech. TBH the main thing that is holding me back from choosing neurotech is that its not accredited, I don't know enough about how prestigious IPEM is, I'm more interested in neuro than medical imagery (which is what medical physics seems to be targeted most at). I'll probably choose neurotech if I'm honest, but we don't need to choose until we arrive at Imperial so we've got time to think.

Right, as for deferring. I got my offer in August 2009 and realised that I didn't have a spare £10k (being a home student, £10k is my estimate), so I emailed the registry office first to ask for deferral, they told me I had to email the course director or something (can't remember his title) but his name is Robert Dickinson ([email protected] ), check him out on Imperials site under staff.
    He got back to me the next day (I'll PM you what I said and what he said) and was happy to let me defer for a year. He then contacted the registry and my status online had changed to the next years start date (this year now).

Good luck! I think if you give him a good enough reason to defer you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats Tushar03!

This morning I received an email from Imperial too and when I opened the Student e-service I found a conditional offer

My conditions are English requirements, so I'll book a test for August and don't think this is problem and an official transcript stating my overall average in a percentage figure.

I've got doubts with this, because I don't know if this requirement is set because they need a hard copy of the scanned transcript I sent to them or they cannot understand it. My bl**** Uni back in Spain calculates the average in a strange 0 out of 4 scale so it is not UK friendly at all (I would say it's not understandable at all ¬¬)

Did you guys have to send a hard copy and it's a condition on your offer?

As for the streams... I haven't decided on them yet, I think I'd go for Med Physics as my background fits more with this one and I think I can learn more. But... the other streams are very challenging and a change always motivates, so I'll study the options, the prospects, etc and I'll decide once I'm there.

Tushar03 I feel sorry for those fees... I've been saving up this year and I also estimated 10 grand like ritchie888... anyway I'm afraid I'll have to ask for a loan from a Spanish bank now I know it's nearly impossible to save that amount and the euro is going down against the pound

Thanks guys and good luck with ur decisions!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Congrats on your offers!

Until a while ago I had my mind set to Imperial too but then I got a funding offer for Oxford which has made hesitate.

On the one hand I feel Bioengineering at Imperial has a somewhat higher reputation and overall the course seems to be better structured. On the other hand, Oxford looks good too even though the course isn’t accredited (yet?) or stream oriented and I feel bad for even thinking about wasting an opportunity for funding.

Then again, I am not familiar with guilds and institutes in the UK so I really don't know if I should take that seriously. I’ve heard IPEM accreditation prevents you from having to take some modules if you undertake the UK NHS training scheme. It may also help if you’re aiming at Chartered Engineer status. Is that right?

I really should have made up my mind now and so far I’m clueless :unsure:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.