Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Imperial college MSc biomedical engineering 2010/2011 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and about streams, so far the only one I've excluded is biomaterials. Probably going to be between medical phys or biomechanics.

(Original post by uisp)
    Hey everyone,

Congrats on your offers!

Until a while ago I had my mind set to Imperial too but then I got a funding offer for Oxford which has made hesitate.

On the one hand I feel Bioengineering at Imperial has a somewhat higher reputation and overall the course seems to be better structured. On the other hand, Oxford looks good too even though the course isn’t accredited (yet?) or stream oriented and I feel bad for even thinking about wasting an opportunity for funding.

Then again, I am not familiar with guilds and institutes in the UK so I really don't know if I should take that seriously. I’ve heard IPEM accreditation prevents you from having to take some modules if you undertake the UK NHS training scheme. It may also help if you’re aiming at Chartered Engineer status. Is that right?

I really should have made up my mind now and so far I’m clueless :unsure:
    Tough one, mate. In your situation I would probably go with Oxford (but that all depends on the amount of the funding).
    Being from Portugal I assume the course and living accommodation is going to be a fair large chunk of cash for you! Even having your course fee's covered is a win as there are no international charges for living expenses; you'll be paying the same as me!
    Bare in mind it will be cheaper living in Oxford. However, London and Oxford are VERY different from each other and completely different cultures.

In conclusion I think my decision would lie on the amount of the funding, if you don't mind telling me how much they have offered I can give a more precise opinion.

Regardless, congrats on your offers

ReputationRep:
    Hey Ritchie888, thanks a ton for the email. It was really insightfull and it gives me an understanding of the reasons/points that i should focus on.

congrats to josemrivera and uisp on your offers.

I think i mostly decided on neurotech, cauz IPEM with or without it is still quite attractive.
    I have seen most of d last years batch doin neurotech related research at top US universities (found 2 at stanford and 1 at MIT).

Another update guys, they have some departmental level funding/scholarship coming up soon. I was told they would mail all the current offer holders before the end of july, if anyone gets an email pls be sure to let us know on here.

Ritchie888, can you pls tell me when did you email them for your defferal? cauz i am going to wait until the end of july (wait for scholarship decision) do you think that is safe? the reason i ask this is cauz some universities (like oxford) are extremly strict about defferals. But from your email Imperial does not sound like that. It is just something I am worrying in the background for now.

Moreover post-degree, what do you guys have plans for?
    I am looking to go into research (PhD) in the US? anyone with mutual interests? lemme knw,cauz I am abt to start studying for my GRE...

(Original post by Tushar03)
    Hey Ritchie888, thanks a ton for the email. It was really insightfull and it gives me an understanding of the reasons/points that i should focus on.

congrats to josemrivera and uisp on your offers.

I think i mostly decided on neurotech, cauz IPEM with or without it is still quite attractive.
    I have seen most of d last years batch doin neurotech related research at top US universities (found 2 at stanford and 1 at MIT).

Another update guys, they have some departmental level funding/scholarship coming up soon. I was told they would mail all the current offer holders before the end of july, if anyone gets an email pls be sure to let us know on here.

Ritchie888, can you pls tell me when did you email them for your defferal? cauz i am going to wait until the end of july (wait for scholarship decision) do you think that is safe? the reason i ask this is cauz some universities (like oxford) are extremly strict about defferals. But from your email Imperial does not sound like that. It is just something I am worrying in the background for now.

Moreover post-degree, what do you guys have plans for?
    I am looking to go into research (PhD) in the US? anyone with mutual interests? lemme knw,cauz I am abt to start studying for my GRE...
    I've applied to, and been turned down, by two scholarships. The Grundy and the departmental scholarship which actually was sent to everyone a fair few months ago (I actually got my rejection today, apparently over 1,400 people applied and they can only give it to 1 person per department; I'm nothing special!). There was another scholarship that I was automatically submitted into when I applied to the department one, not heard back from that one yet. There is another one coming up to my understanding, Bagrit Scholarship(?)

They seem to send you an email when you're eligible for a scholarship which is good as you're always on top of the funding options.

I submitted my application on the 22nd of July 2009, got my offer for the course on the 6th of August 2009, I also emailed Dickinson on the 6th and my deferral was confirmed on the 7th; quick eh?

Tushar03, accept your offer now if you haven't already done so, then you can apply for scholarships and what-not and can probably hold back on deferring right into August (if you don't have to pay a deposit by then, I've had to pay 10% already). If you don't get any scholarships (and no offense, but don't hold your breath, there seems to be a manic amount of people applying for them) play the 'unforeseen circumstances' card and attempt to defer.

I'm interested in going into research too. I'm very interested in robotics and their application to medical engineering. I would lurrrrrrve to go to MIT but I'm being realistic and don't think that would happen. If I like Imperial as much as I think I'm going to I think I would like to stay on there for a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    Tough one, mate. In your situation I would probably go with Oxford (but that all depends on the amount of the funding).
    Being from Portugal I assume the course and living accommodation is going to be a fair large chunk of cash for you! Even having your course fee's covered is a win as there are no international charges for living expenses; you'll be paying the same as me!
    Bare in mind it will be cheaper living in Oxford. However, London and Oxford are VERY different from each other and completely different cultures.

In conclusion I think my decision would lie on the amount of the funding, if you don't mind telling me how much they have offered I can give a more precise opinion.

Regardless, congrats on your offers
    Hey Ritchie,

It's substantial It's listed under living expenses so it's s not limited by the value of course fees.

The Student Financial Support is definitely running these days; today they emailed me to let me know I was being considered for a scholarship too. Not the same one tough, I'm afraid I wasn't told about that one

Wish everyone the best of luck :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    Received a mail yesterday regarding the OPPURTUNITIES FUND got rejected....yes, ritchie888 you are right....I was told the same reason,there would be just one student from the department getting the scholarship..lol...well I am not that bright...there goes my oppurtunity to start this year...:-(

There is that Bagrit scholarship as well, couple of weeks down the line...that also attract a fierce competition. I think I might have to move to plan B i.e part time...funny enough...i dunno if you have read it but the part time degree requires attendence for 5 days/ week. Does anyone know how flexible it is? or clue as to how the schedule runs? I am a bit paranoid right now emailing the department considering I might look into deffering it as well.

Moreover, Ritchie888....the main reason I chose imperial over the other two was its faculty....many of d Prof. have research collaborators at top US universities. Getting recommendation from them would go a long way in the admissions.

btw are you studying for GRE? cauz i am still looking over training courses....as they are quite expensive (e.g: kaplan)

ReputationRep:
    Hey Tushar03,

I'm not familiar with GRE. To be honest I had to google it to find out what it was. I understand it is a sort of test that shows you "can think", right? Still, I feel it's more of an American thing and right now I'm not headed that way. Good luck with the whole thing!

I got turned down by another scholarship yesterday (the one I was automatically entered in that I mentioned). I was never relying on funding, I've been working straight a day after my graduation in July 2009 so I should be able to fund myself.

I've never looked into GRE, tbh, but I have heard of it before.
    I think getting admission into an American uni isn't the hard part, its funding it. With yearly tuition fee's around $20,000 I think without getting a good idea on where you're going to find this I think looking into applying is pointless!

I don't know anything about part time courses I'm afraid, never looked into them as they don't seem that beneficial to me.

ReputationRep:
    PhD research at top US university is completely funded...regardless of criteria....as long as you are given an offer...you get funding automatically. Hence it is quite beneficial for international students like myself.

BTW, GRE is an entrance exam required by all US graduate schools...

Anyways, have you guys sorted out the accomodation?? which areas are you guys looking at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tushar03)
    PhD research at top US university is completely funded...regardless of criteria....as long as you are given an offer...you get funding automatically. Hence it is quite beneficial for international students like myself.

BTW, GRE is an entrance exam required by all US graduate schools...

Anyways, have you guys sorted out the accomodation?? which areas are you guys looking at?
    Sorry I have to point out your statement regarding all US Phd offers are funded as incorrect. The Phd offer can be funded (some may come with RA/TA requirements), partially funded or unfunded. It's harder to get an offer from US institutions because when they offer one, they explicitly state the funding (if any) breakdown and it's more or less guaranteed (bar failing the entry requirement/not responding the offer in time/offer being withdrawn).

This is unlike UK institutions where they give out a large number of offers to people as they know some will drop out due to not getting council funding and/or unable to afford it.

Also GRE is not a requirement for all US graduate schools, it may be the case for most science and engineering schools.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Seel...you are absolutely correct but i was just refering to top US graduate schools like MIT, Stanford, Berkley, Harvard....where PhD are almost always fully funded as long as you have an offer....obvioulsy funding comes in the form of RA/TA ship....lol....there are no free luches in this world :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody,

I too, have decided to accept the offer from Imperial biomedical eng MSc!

I had offers from Oxford, Imperial and Surrey.

Oxford sure looked very tempting, but after a lot of asking around and research I decided to go with Imperial.
    My BSc is Physics and I am very excited to start this program as the health industry field is very appealing to me. Also, my plan is to continue for a PhD prefferably in the USA.

(However as I had already accepted the offer from oxford, I will wait a couple more days to see if I got any funding, and if that's the case I might reconsider...)

Are there any scholarships/funding that I can apply for Imperial at the moment? A couple of days ago the registry told me that information about the Bagrit Scholarship will be sent out to successful applicants in 2 weeks.

Also, as I am clueless about London, which areas should I look accommodation for?

Best regards and see you soon

(Original post by andrewskg)
    Hello everybody,

I too, have decided to accept the offer from Imperial biomedical eng MSc!

I had offers from Oxford, Imperial and Surrey.

Oxford sure looked very tempting, but after a lot of asking around and research I decided to go with Imperial.
    My BSc is Physics and I am very excited to start this program as the health industry field is very appealing to me. Also, my plan is to continue for a PhD prefferably in the USA.

(However as I had already accepted the offer from oxford, I will wait a couple more days to see if I got any funding, and if that's the case I might reconsider...)

Are there any scholarships/funding that I can apply for Imperial at the moment? A couple of days ago the registry told me that information about the Bagrit Scholarship will be sent out to successful applicants in 2 weeks.

Also, as I am clueless about London, which areas should I look accommodation for?

Best regards and see you soon
    Congrats.

I've applied to three scholarships so far and have heard back from all of them, so I assume they have short listed them and you have missed the deadlines for them.

I'm moving to London with a mate so I'll be looking at places soon. He's in Vegas at the moment so I'll start looking mid July.

Out of curiosity, are you a home or international student? I have yet to hear from a home student doing this course!

ReputationRep:
    well I am from Greece, which is under the home/EU category tuition-fee-speaking, but I certainly ain't from the UK

as far as the scholarships, I am sure I have missed already most opportunities as I applied late.
    However if somebody comes across any new openings, let's be kind and share the information

Are there any individual UK institutions that give funding for MSc students, or did you apply for all of them through Imperial?

Hey all,

What is everyone doing for accommodation?
    My plans keep falling through with friends and I think their halls (Clayponds Village) is a bit far for travel (20mins tube plus walking to and from the stations all adds up a far bit of time).

Would be cool if others in my situation would be interested in a bedsit of some sort.
    Let me know what you're thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers,

I'm not doing at all.

I've been loaded with coursework for the past months so I haven't been able to give it all the attention it deserves. Anyway, holidays start next week and then I'm planning to start searching the market like there's no tomorrow.

I'm definitely interested in sharing so count me in!
    Plus, since I live far from London it would go a long way - and perhaps even spare me of some flights - to have someone who knows the city and could take a closer look at some places.

PM me if you're interested too. And you have my email, right?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Am new to this forum..I have joined Msc Biomed Eng at Imperial too

Nice to see ppl already forming friends.

So have you all decided ur stream choices?

Am divided btwn Med Phy & Bio mech.
    Any thoughts?

They recently sent an email around for you to choose your stream. It wasn't 100% set as you can change within the first week of studies but they wanted a broad idea.

I chose Neurotech.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I went for the Neurotech as well, but not 100% sure, we'll see in the first week And not only have I got the stream selection e-mail, but also an invoice ;(
    Has anyone heard back from Imperial's accommodation people (Clayponds in particular)? It's August already!

(Original post by triwka)
    Hi there I went for the Neurotech as well, but not 100% sure, we'll see in the first week And not only have I got the stream selection e-mail, but also an invoice ;(
    Has anyone heard back from Imperial's accommodation people (Clayponds in particular)? It's August already!
    Has everyone paid the 10% yet?

Clayponds get back to you mid August apparently, not that I'm holding out on it as it's my plan B.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.