Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I was wandering what you would all call a rubbish lecture? Maybe you don't appreciate not having a break in a 4 hour lecture, or maybe the lecturer feels like they can get away with speaking disrespectfully to the students.

Whatever the case I would really like to know what your thoughts and experiences are of bad lectures.

I look forward to reading your replies.:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    When the lecturer has no presentational skills, reads into his/her paper very quietly and tries to read what they've wrote at the fastest possible rate of speech possible.

Luckily, I only had this person once and my lectures are generally quite okay.

ReputationRep:
    Any lecture to me would be pretty rubbish. I have the attention span of a russian hamster.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree. If they disrespect the students then they obviously can't hold my attention.

When you can't understand the lecturer because of their accent, or they just read off a PPT which I could've read myself in my bed. :grumble:

ReputationRep:
    4 hours

we never have a straight 4 hour lecture, thats horrible. and if the lecturers crap, go complain about him!
    the worst we;ve had is with guest speakers who just decide to recount their life story

ReputationRep:
    when they literally go through all the material at the speed of light and you cannot possibly copy it down without using pages and pages of paper, and getting a headache, and the lecture notes are written in greek.

oh and when they make obvious mistakes all over the place (usually due to the earler mentioned speed they are attempting to rush through the material at, as if they have to teach you the entire degree in 2 hours.

ReputationRep:
    When they show no interest in what they're talking about. No enthusiasm.

ReputationRep:
    I have lectures where it's 120 slides long, and the lecturer literally just reads it word for word, adding no extra info, which pisses me of as I commute 2hrs each way to have a bloody lecture that I can read on my own in my warm house! The only thing that gets me through it is that we do get breaks so its that little bit more bearable.

ReputationRep:
    Reading off the lecture handout...
    Using massive quotes...

Using powerpoint, a lecture handout and commenting on it all at the same time and not giving you sufficient time to take it all in, think about how you've going to present it and then write it down.

A friend actually fell asleep in the lecture today hehe..

ReputationRep:
    when the lecturer talks about what we did in the the previous lecture for half an hour, then reads the slides of this lecture for the remaining 20 minutes. waste.of.my.time.

ReputationRep:
    its better to have lecturer reading from the ppt, than teaching something completely different that bears no resemblence to the slides, and you dont need to learn it.

this hasnt happened, but just saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    Reading off the lecture handout...
    Using massive quotes...

Using powerpoint, a lecture handout and commenting on it all at the same time and not giving you sufficient time to take it all in, think about how you've going to present it and then write it down.

A friend actually fell asleep in the lecture today hehe..
    ah my uni has a whole facebook group dedicated to taking sly photos of people asleep in lectures.

they really need to liven them up a bit..

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks a bunch. So the take home messages, speak slowly, don't read off the slides, don't speak in greek, speak up, show some motivation and provide a break.

Chars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieee91)
    ah my uni has a whole facebook group dedicated to taking sly photos of people asleep in lectures.

they really need to liven them up a bit..
    Yeah I have seen that group :0)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by las10)
    Wow thanks a bunch. So the take home messages, speak slowly, don't read off the slides, don't speak in greek, speak up, show some motivation and provide a break.

Chars
    basically avoid all lectures at all costs

ReputationRep:
    I sat in a lecture once where the professor had such a raspy/squeaky voice you couldn't actually discern any words at all. It was like listening to someone slowly being strangled for an hour.
    It wasn't even a temporary condition, God knows what fool employed him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milesofsea)
    I was sat in a lecture once where the professor had such a raspy/squeaky voice you couldn't actually discern any words at all. It was like listening to someone slowly being strangled for an hour.
    It wasn't even a temporary condition, God knows what fool employed him.
    sounds like a stunt wolverhampton would pull

ReputationRep:
    The ones where they lecture it at the speed of light.

I had a French lecturer, he was very interesting but his accent coupled with him talking at the rate of a zillion words per a minute was just too much!

ReputationRep:
    When the lecturer has a habit of saying "this is trivial"...

no it's not ******* trivial! how did you do it?!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.