Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    The ones where they lecture it at the speed of light.

I had a French lecturer, he was very interesting but his accent coupled with him talking at the rate of a zillion words per a minute was just too much!
    yeah ive already mentioned said speed of light lecturing above

ReputationRep:
    There are some really funny replies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    When the lecturer has a habit of saying "this is trivial"...

no it's not ******* trivial! how did you do it?!
    when they say its ''trivial'' they mean: ''it is very easy for me to do, and i know for sure you lot cannot do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Mullen)
    its better to have lecturer reading from the ppt, than teaching something completely different that bears no resemblence to the slides, and you dont need to learn it.

this hasnt happened, but just saying
    we have a lecturer just like this!
    he will go into great detail about some sort of proof, spend 20 mins on it just to say it isn't examinable!
    he will write a load of stuff on the board really quickly so frantically try to copy down, just to find out it is a rewording of the printed notes.
    as if this isn't enough, he will spend the first 20 mins recapping the last lecture. this isn't so bad, but when we have 2 lectures left to cover about 1/3 of the course....

thank god it's only 1 lecturer, the rest have been way better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Mullen)
    when they say its ''trivial'' they mean: ''it is very easy for me to do, and i know for sure you lot cannot do it
    that's exactly they mean! lol and "...i cannot be bothered to show you it, you dumbass students, i got busy research to be doing"

when it comes to revision you can almost always do it, but then you scratch your head and say, "that was NOT trivial!!!"

ReputationRep:
    What I surmise is that a lot of lecturers have the subject degree but have no idea how to teach properly :P A large blunder on the part of hiring. There should be a training course or something which must be completed before being able to lecture. Standardised.

ReputationRep:
    Some old man from the LSE came in loads last term, to lecture about British political systems;
    "And now... the house of commons...1947...blah blah blah...constitution...constituti onal reform...elections...reform...59 .1%..."
    Kill. Me. Now.

Plus a lecturer I have who lectures us on Marx every week. I went into the lecture theatre, title on the board = "Historical Materialism", I zoned out before it even started, she just reads from her handouts. Horrendous. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    that's exactly they mean! lol and "...i cannot be bothered to show you it, you dumbass students, i got busy research to be doing"

when it comes to revision you can almost always do it, but then you scratch your head and say, "that was NOT trivial!!!"
    yes, i reckon that exact terminology is going through their mind as they say 'trivial'.

also when they say: ''and i wont show you that one, you can do that as an extra excercise'' means: ''i dont know how to do that one, and if i try it i might look stupid so you can do it you wretched students!''

ReputationRep:
    what about those lecturers that are about 90 years old and cannot walk? lol

ReputationRep:
    THE ACCENTS!!!!!!!!!!! There's always one or two who you cannot understand. Then you have the American one who droooooooooones on with the lazy American style. Yet this doesnt happen on TV!

Oh and reading from the slides. I can read faster than they can talk from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dlg3579)
    THE ACCENTS!!!!!!!!!!! There's always one or two who you cannot understand. Then you have the American one who droooooooooones on with the lazy American style. Yet this doesnt happen on TV!

Oh and reading from the slides. I can read faster than they can talk from it.
    ''Death by powerpoint''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chivalry)
    What I surmise is that a lot of lecturers have the subject degree but have no idea how to teach properly :P A large blunder on the part of hiring. There should be a training course or something which must be completed before being able to lecture. Standardised.
    Nah, my lecturers/tutors have all been great. The last thing we need is stardardised teaching free from any personality.

You only surmise that a lot of lecturers can't teach properly because this thread is about lecturers who can't teach properly.

ReputationRep:
    1. Nervous lecturers. I appreciate how terrifying lecturing to 150 undergrads must be, but nervous lecturers makes me feel SO uncomfortable to the point that I actually cannot watch.

2. Lecturers who constantly tell us how boring the material is, how dull this subject is.. Its like, yeah great.. thanks.

3. Repeating the previous lecture for 30 mins. Wtf is the point?

4. Summarising what they are going to tell us for 20 mins. JUST GET TO IT FFS.

5. Group discussions. I don't care what the undergrad next to me thinks. I want to hear the opinion of the professor who has 15+ years of experience in the field.

6. PhD lecturers. See point #5.

7. Breadth instead of depth. Annoying.

8. Lecturers allowing irritating student politicians give their speeches during lecture time. I don't give a ****, seriously.

9. Lecturers who don't have a go at the idiots who are talking while they are talking.

10. Lecturers who use slides as their own personal prompts (i.e. slides that just say one or two words which they then proceed to elaborate on for 30mins). The point in having the slides is to provide us with structure to revise from. If you need prompts, use the note function on powerpoint.

11. Incomprehensible accents.

ReputationRep:
    When they are pointless; i.e. it's stuff you've covered before.
    When the lecturer doesn't get to the point (uses 20 sentences to explain what could have been said in 5 words).

ReputationRep:
    Generally, my lectures are really good. Apart from the time this lecturer from Argentina was taking a classics module. Her english wasn't the best, and she had no problem with supplementing english words for spanish ones.

Great, if you don't speak spanish. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    When the lecturer doesn't understand what they're talking about any more than you do, or at least can't convey the understanding they have, when they don't add any more to the lecture than what is on the slide, when they are totally unengaging and boring speakers (the vast majority) and when you understand what they are talking about 10 minutes before they finish talking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Nah, my lecturers/tutors have all been great. The last thing we need is stardardised teaching free from any personality.

You only surmise that a lot of lecturers can't teach properly because this thread is about lecturers who can't teach properly.

Hmm perhaps I was unclear in my meaning. When i say standardised i mean that there is at least a regulated training course set to standards of quality. Surely quality assurance isn't bad? I admit " a lot of " was a bad phrase; perhaps some ? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    11. Incomprehensible accents.
    Oh my god THIS! I thought I was the only one XD

We had a lecturer for one of our cognition modules last term, and for the most part his accent didn't get in the way too much. Lovely guy, clearly very into his subject. Then came the lectures on language.

He was trying to explain different vowels (or something to do with vowels, anyway) but I honestly had no idea what vowel it was he was trying to say because his accent was so strong!

not looking forward to lectures when i start uni next year, im a tall guy and the rows were really small

i would seriously kill myself if i had to sit there for four hours.. i couldnt stand 45 minutes

ReputationRep:
    when they read everything off the slide :pierre:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.