Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I just wanted to know if you can use xbox live, steam or skype at any accommodation at newcastle uni? I dont really mind if i cant as i mostly play single player pc games and i could cut down on multiplayer xbox live games.

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure about XBox, but skype is a definate.

ReputationRep:
    Skype, yes.
    XBox/PS3 Network, no.

There are only a couple of ports open and as such, you're also unable to play online games.

Spotify works though.

ReputationRep:
    Friends last year didn't have XBL working.

Skype is fine.

You can get things like torrents working quite easily if you know your way around proxy settings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArjunT)
    Hi

I just wanted to know if you can use xbox live, steam or skype at any accommodation at newcastle uni? I dont really mind if i cant as i mostly play single player pc games and i could cut down on multiplayer xbox live games.
    Skype will work fine.

Not sure about xbox.

I've got Steam working through a local proxy and a tunneller, but you won't be able to play the games as they rely on UDP ports and the best tunnellers I've found only support TCP well enough, not UDP.

So I've had the communications and store working on steam, but playing pc games online is kind of futile. It can be done with a fair bit of effort, but it's not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookidge)
    Skype will work fine.

Not sure about xbox.

I've got Steam working through a local proxy and a tunneller, but you won't be able to play the games as they rely on UDP ports and the best tunnellers I've found only support TCP well enough, not UDP.

So I've had the communications and store working on steam, but playing pc games online is kind of futile. It can be done with a fair bit of effort, but it's not worth it.
    ah ok, thats good enough i guess, I tend to play a lot of single player games on pc tbf although the xbox live thing is kinda annoying. Have you tried using ICS settings and setting up a proxy on the computer? Would that work?

Also how are you finding the course, im kinda deciding between Leicester, Sheffield and Newcastle atm

ReputationRep:
    ah ok, thats good enough i guess, I tend to play a lot of single player games on pc tbf although the xbox live thing is kinda annoying. Have you tried using ICS settings and setting up a proxy on the computer? Would that work?

Also how are you finding the course, im kinda deciding between Leicester, Sheffield and Newcastle atm
    What I've done for things on the computer that are blocked I've setup a local proxy on localhost:1080 and put programs through that and then tunnel them through the university proxy so that steam for example can go through port 8080 for example instead of it's default port.

I don't know what you can do with the xbox as I haven't brought one up here, but i guess you could try putting it through your laptop instead of straight into the the wall via LAN cable.

The course is pretty good, you thinking of doing CompSci? I recommend it, it's extremely well taught in the first semester (only just started my second).

ReputationRep:
    What I've done for things on the computer that are blocked I've setup a local proxy on localhost:1080 and put programs through that and then tunnel them through the university proxy so that steam for example can go through port 8080 for example instead of it's default port.

I don't know what you can do with the xbox as I haven't brought one up here, but i guess you could try putting it through your laptop instead of straight into the the wall via LAN cable.

The course is pretty good, you thinking of doing CompSci? I recommend it, it's extremely well taught in the first semester (only just started my second).
    Ah ok, I guess i can live without my xbox for a year, I dont think I'll run out of things to do in the first year!

I'm thinking about putting it as my firm, I've got offers from Sheffield, Leicester, Newcastle and Hull and I've visited Sheffield and Newcastle on the admissions day for each and i like both although I have to do a foundation year if I go to Sheffield so I'm leaning towards Newcastle atm although its about 4 hours away in the car and about 3 hours away on the train.

Which halls are you in? I think i might apply to Victoria hall or Bowsden court but I haven't really heard much about Bowsden court.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, I guess i can live without my xbox for a year, I dont think I'll run out of things to do in the first year!

I'm thinking about putting it as my firm, I've got offers from Sheffield, Leicester, Newcastle and Hull and I've visited Sheffield and Newcastle on the admissions day for each and i like both although I have to do a foundation year if I go to Sheffield so I'm leaning towards Newcastle atm although its about 4 hours away in the car and about 3 hours away on the train.

Which halls are you in? I think i might apply to Victoria hall or Bowsden court but I haven't really heard much about Bowsden court.
    I was in a similar position I liked both Newcastle and Nottingham, but I would've been on a foundation year at Nottingham.

I live in Bristol, so it's 5 hours away in the car, but If i'm just going back home from Christmas/Easter I take a plane and for me it's usually around a £50 quid return, train costs were similar and a plane was faster, so there was no issue for me there.

I can't tell you much about Bowsden Court, I've been in Victoria Halls a few times though, it's very nice, quite modern, en-suites (if you choose them) yet obviously it's fairly expensive, I'm at Windsor Terrace myself, but the living conditions aren't as luxurious as Victoria Halls (no sofas, sat TV etc).

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar position I liked both Newcastle and Nottingham, but I would've been on a foundation year at Nottingham.

I live in Bristol, so it's 5 hours away in the car, but If i'm just going back home from Christmas/Easter I take a plane and for me it's usually around a £50 quid return, train costs were similar and a plane was faster, so there was no issue for me there.

I can't tell you much about Bowsden Court, I've been in Victoria Halls a few times though, it's very nice, quite modern, en-suites (if you choose them) yet obviously it's fairly expensive, I'm at Windsor Terrace myself, but the living conditions aren't as luxurious as Victoria Halls (no sofas, sat TV etc).
    ah ok, I didnt realise that taking the plane was so cheap! I think in terms of accommodation, I mainly just want cheap onsuite Accommodation. Although I've heard the cheap price of bowsden court is the due to the distance from the uni as most people end up buying a metro card. I'm thinking it might be worth applying there if I can use the metro card to get to town etc. How regularly do they run? Do you use the metro often? Is it safe to catch the metro at night?

ReputationRep:
    ah ok, I didnt realise that taking the plane was so cheap! I think in terms of accommodation, I mainly just want cheap onsuite Accommodation. Although I've heard the cheap price of bowsden court is the due to the distance from the uni as most people end up buying a metro card. I'm thinking it might be worth applying there if I can use the metro card to get to town etc. How regularly do they run? Do you use the metro often? Is it safe to catch the metro at night?
    Hey, I've never had to take the metro at night, so I wouldn't know you'd just have to be careful. I use the metro now and again but not enough to warrant a card. Bare in mind the metro cards are VERY expensive, £300 plus.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've never had to take the metro at night, so I wouldn't know you'd just have to be careful. I use the metro now and again but not enough to warrant a card. Bare in mind the metro cards are VERY expensive, £300 plus.
    ah ok thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    ah ok thanks for the help!
    No problem bud, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I've just remembered, I also wanted to know if you can use logmein.com on the school network, i was thinking about controlling my computer with my laptop when i get it.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I fail to see why anyone would have to spend £300+ on the metro.

A return journey from Haymarket to South Gosforth (Bowsden Court) is between £1.90 and £2.30 depending on the time of day. Plus you can buy monthly passes for £30 for a single zone (which it is).

You'd end up paying no more than about £200 for the year on metro fees I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -=|Jay|=-)
    Sorry but I fail to see why anyone would have to spend £300+ on the metro.

A return journey from Haymarket to South Gosforth (Bowsden Court) is between £1.90 and £2.30 depending on the time of day. Plus you can buy monthly passes for £30 for a single zone (which it is).

You'd end up paying no more than about £200 for the year on metro fees I reckon.
    Fair enough, was only going off what I heard, you might want to tell the guy I was conversing with about the costs.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Use proxifier and just knock back your PC time to use it all the time. The uni network is fast but doesn't allow you to connect to a server through another server, so online steam games are a no no, and MMO's just about work.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of people I know at seperate Uni's have just asked the tech guys to unblock ports for them to use steam/mmo's or whatever and that wasn't a problem. Has anyone tried this at Newcastle? I'll probably be going there next year, and I really need my MW2 and CSS fix! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedfunk)
    A couple of people I know at seperate Uni's have just asked the tech guys to unblock ports for them to use steam/mmo's or whatever and that wasn't a problem. Has anyone tried this at Newcastle? I'll probably be going there next year, and I really need my MW2 and CSS fix! :P
    lol i want my l4d2 fix although ive got like 60+ games to play on steam including KOTOR and fallout 3 so i dont think i'll mind much if i dont get to play some L4d2. Whats your steam ID?

ReputationRep:
    lol i want my l4d2 fix although ive got like 60+ games to play on steam including KOTOR and fallout 3 so i dont think i'll mind much if i dont get to play some L4d2. Whats your steam ID?
    dhd106

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.