Turn on thread page Beta

How much easier was it to get a graduate job before the recession? watch

ReputationRep:
    Before economic meltdown happened, how easy was it to get on a grad scheme, could the average grad get in; let say someone with a 2:2 from a uni in the middle of the league tables, fair extra-curriculars and a bit of experience. What would be the chances? Or was it still very competitve?
    It's just that at the moment I am wondering if it is worth going to a mid-tier uni in September if there is no chance of getting a grad job afterwards.
    Thanks everyone! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    no-one??

ReputationRep:
    It was certainly easier, for at least two reasons:

1. The market was booming and firms were hiring more graduates

2. Each year students come out of university with ever more internships and extracurriculars, as part of the 'arms race' for stacking up their CVs.

To expand a little on your options, I think it's perfectly possible to get a graduate job from a mid-tier university, although it will be tough to get into certain fields such as investment banking. If your life literally hinges of getting into these professions, you could choose to do a gap year (or two), retake your A Levels, and reapply for better universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    could the average grad get in; let say someone with a 2:2 from a uni in the middle of the league tables,
    Nope. The 2.1 hurdle was just as much in place.

ReputationRep:
    The competition was around 30 to one, now its over 50 to one.

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure why I got negged here...

ReputationRep:
    what?! was this at pre-crisis economic levels? Surely there must be plenty of grad jobs to go around back then, otherwise if the odds were 30 to one, what do the rest of the grads who don't get onto the grad schemes do?
    People apply to more than one grad scheme, say 10 ish.

They get grad jobs (ie not grad scheme jobs), or get non grad jobs.

ReputationRep:
    You mean jobs that require a degree but that are in smaller companies.
    Yes, or the same company but not on the grad scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    People apply to more than one grad scheme, say 10 ish.

They get grad jobs (ie not grad scheme jobs), or get non grad jobs.
    I always wondered that. Say I don't get a job with a top 50 accounting firm despite having a couple of internships and a first (at least so far, but I may end up coming out with a high 2.1) so far but lack the competencies (like leadership or whatever) the big firms ask for, where do I exactly get a job? I was planning on doing a couple of ACCA exams after I graduate so I have some accounting knowledge - will that make me more employable at the smaller firms?

ReputationRep:
    You can get promoted the same as someone who doesn't have a degree, but unlike that person you won't hit a ceiling when your lack of qualifications prevents you progressing further.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.