Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Alright, another thread... India and Nepal in summer? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What is India like in June-July? I know it's monsoon season but is it unbearable? I'm specifically thinking the North or Nepal.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Nepal
    North Nepal is amaaaaaaaaaazing
    definately go!
    and the weather isnt that bad dont worry
    right now its hot-ish
    but whatever you do DO NOT DRINK WATER out of tap or in a cafe, restaurant whatever
    only drink bottled water otherwise you'll die of diarrhoea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anita B. Studin)
    I'm from Nepal
    North Nepal is amaaaaaaaaaazing
    definitely go!
    and the weather isnt that bad dont worry
    right now its hot-ish
    but whatever you do DO NOT DRINK WATER out of tap or in a cafe, restaurant whatever
    only drink bottled water otherwise you'll die of diarrhoea
    I'd probably start off in and around Kathmandhu, what would it be like there?

Bearing in mind I'm from the UK and used to awful weather all year round I'd quite like it to be nice in the summer!

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of going leh, ladakh, shimla and nepal in june/july too.
    I was wondering if you tell me about the weather in detail. What do you mean by its not that bad,Its just that ive heard by my family and others staying monsoon is terrible and it floods etc, but not everywhere in India is affected by the monsoon.
    Also, is it really hot in Delhi in june?

Im nt sure weather to go in summer, or i might just wait till dec, like i did last time when i went.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    leh and ladakh are fine in june july, they're really high up so not so hot (heat can be UNBEARABLE in the plains during those months), and they're in the monsoon shadow which means they don't get hit as badly. best places to go during those months actually. monsoon is bearable, i've travelled north india during those times and this year im actually going to darjeeling area in july which does get hit pretty bad but the mountain views between storms are supposed to be incredible. i'm also from the uk so i can understand being wary of choosing a monsoon country for your summer holiday but do it! you won't regret it, india is a life-changing experience wherever and whenever you go. i've been 3 times and still can't stop thinking about going back!!!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, i wouldnt mind going anywhere in India, as long as i go. I cant stop thinking about going back either. I think im just going to take the risk and go, my family thinks in crazy!!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i dont mind going anywhere in India, as long as i go. I cant stop thinking about going back either. I think im going to take the risk and go, if i want to go in winter season, i'll have to wait another 2 yrs when uni finish. I dont think i can wait that long. My family thinks im crazy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    I'd probably start off in and around Kathmandhu, what would it be like there?

Bearing in mind I'm from the UK and used to awful weather all year round I'd quite like it to be nice in the summer!
    Theres ALOT of pollution in Kathmandu, but you'll get used to it
    the weather is warm not too hot
    its cold for Nepalese people but its not like wearing a jacket, scarf, gloves cold.

Go to a place called Patan, that's where all the interesting buildings are
    and go to Thamel
    you can go shopping there, they sell traditional Nepalese stuff and theyre really cool
    but beaware cos at night it can turn into a huge drug dealing area and its not that safe.
    Go to Durbar Marg, you can see the ex palace, you might find it cool but its not like WOW, theres alot of nice restaurants and hotels there.
    I recommend eating at Yak and Yeti, Annapurna hotel.. and other hotels in Durbar Marg
    Also this is a MUST
    go to bhansa ghar for dinner I'm not sure where it is but its in Kathmandu, some evening they show traditional nepalese dances and they serve you reallly nice Nepalese food and they get you drunk by the amount of alcohol they keep pouring lol
    and DEFINATELY try mo:mos
    you will falll in love with it, but be careful dont eat it in dodgy places.. you'll know what i mean by dodgy places when you get there.

I also recommend visiting Pokhara its really lovely. Theres alot of lakes and crocodiles
    soo have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Oh i just realised youre a girl
    so ermm you might not want to mention to random people that youre travelling by yourself.. like taxi drivers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    What is India like in June-July? I know it's monsoon season but is it unbearable? I'm specifically thinking the North or Nepal.

Thanks!
    Hi! I'm from North India so I can advise you first hand:

North India is great in June-July; it is hot but definitely not unbearable. As you said it is monsoon season then, so the air will be humid at times and in the middle of the day that isn't particularly pleasant. However it won't be a significant irritant to a tourist, mainly to the locals who simply complain about the humidity because they prefer the drier air during the rest of the year. However, in the evenings it's great in summer time - the humidity and temperatures fall by then and it's usually perfect.

What do you plan to do in India / Nepal? Or are you going to travel across both? I've been to Nepal a few times from New Delhi; I was just another tourist in Nepal though but our family friends do have a house in Pokhara which is a nice (but quiet) place to go. Coincidentally, I'll be in India this summer over July-August too before returning to the UK to start uni. But I won't be travelling, so won't be leaving New Delhi / UP border towns.

How long do you intend to go for and are you alone or going with friends / family?

ReputationRep:
    Ladakh/Kashmir is perfect during summer time. Ladakh doesnt get hit by monsoon at all which is awesome. I think even down to like Manali and stuff is still alright. Dharamsala area is also alright, though they get pretty heavy rains that time of year. But its only a couple hours a day and then its lovely.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND booking an internal flight if you are planning on going straight to Leh/Ladakh. 4 days on a minibus with those roads and altitudes is NOT COOL (even if the scenery is mindblowing)! Give yourself a couple days to get used to the altitude as well.

Can't comment on Nepal but I hear its beautiful

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Nepal for two weeks to do volunteer work. Have been in Kathmandu, the Chitwan area (4hrs from Kathmandu) and Pokhara (8hrs from Kathmandu by bus). It was absolutely brilliant!
    I went there during summer and the monsoom wasn't really that bad. It rained hard a couple of times, of course, but nothing that I haven't experience before. People are generally very nice to you, but outside the touristic areas they tend to stare you down if you are white. :P But not in a bad way.
    Driving the minibus was actually really fun because we (I went there with a friend) could sit on the top of it. Pokhara is good for going out. There is a nice bar/club with some girls dancing... But I'm not sure if that's what you want to see.
    Definitely go to Thamel in Kathmandu! But I wouldn't rent a bike there... the driving's crazy! I have only seen one traffic light during my entire trip.. ^^ And it is polluted to the max. Have never seen such a polluted place before. But you get used to it.

Always bargain. Taxis aren't cheap from/to the airport, but otherwise generally cheap. But you could still bargain if you feel like they **** you, if you know what I mean.

Anywaaaays... the landscape is seriously amazing! The country is so beautiful and stunning. I would go to Nepal a second time, but I never have the chance to.

I haven't been to Leh/Ladakh, however, so I cannot tell you anything about this area. And I haven't been to India yet. So you get my babbling on Nepal only. :P

ReputationRep:
    Leh/Ladakh is insanely beautiful!! I felt like I was on another planet. Seriously. I could have been on Jupiter or something for all I knew. Mad.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.