Turn on thread page Beta

(OCR Salters) AS basic Gas Volumes/Entropy question (confused) watch

ReputationRep:
    here is a question and the solution to it. i dont however, understand the solution, so some clarification would be awesome

What volume of gas is produced when 15g of sodium is reacted with excess water at r.t.p.?
    equation: 2Na + 2H2O -> 2NaOH + H2
    Moles of Na = 0.65mol.
    From the equation, 2 moles of Na produces 1 mole of H2
    (I understand up to here)
    So you know 0.65 moles Na produces 0.65/2 = 0.325 moles H2 ok now why did we divide 0.65 by 2? this really has me confused haha.

any help would be much appreciated

thanks <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumb maths student)
    here is a question and the solution to it. i dont however, understand the solution, so some clarification would be awesome

What volume of gas is produced when 15g of sodium is reacted with excess water at r.t.p.?
    equation: 2Na + 2H2O -> 2NaOH + H2
    Moles of Na = 0.65mol.
    From the equation, 2 moles of Na produces 1 mole of H2
    (I understand up to here)
    So you know 0.65 moles Na produces 0.65/2 = 0.325 moles H2 ok now why did we divide 0.65 by 2? this really has me confused haha.

any help would be much appreciated

thanks <3
    From your eqn, the only gas produced is hydrogen. and mol ratio shows that mol of H2 = 1/2 x mol of Na reacted.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.