Turn on thread page Beta

PhD / DPhil interviews (Humanities) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks,

I need your opinion about something: how likely are you to get a place at a given university (Oxford or UCL in my case) once you have been made an offer / called for interview? I'm not talking about conditional offers that require you to complete your current degree or achieve a distinction, but interviews themselves: do they aim at further selection between successful applicants -- and if they do, what would be one's chances of getting in at this stage -- or is it more like a necessary preliminary conversation meant to make sure that you are as good as your application?

I am aware that this must vary greatly between subjects, so please keep in mind that I am referring to applications for PhDs in the Humanities specifically. Thanks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sooz2471)
    Hi folks,

I need your opinion about something: how likely are you to get a place at a given university (Oxford or UCL in my case) once you have been made an offer / called for interview? I'm not talking about conditional offers that require you to complete your current degree or achieve a distinction, but interviews themselves: do they aim at further selection between successful applicants -- and if they do, what would be one's chances of getting in at this stage -- or is it more like a necessary preliminary conversation meant to make sure that you are as good as your application?

I am aware that this must vary greatly between subjects, so please keep in mind that I am referring to applications for PhDs in the Humanities specifically. Thanks.
    Well, you definitely won't be interviewed for the English DPhil, because the English faculty doesn't interview graduate applicants.

ReputationRep:
    I need your opinion about something: how likely are you to get a place at a given university (Oxford or UCL in my case) once you have been made an offer / called for interview?
    but interviews themselves: do they aim at further selection between successful applicants
    Uh...:confused:

Some programmes interview everyone; some interview those whom genuinely interest them. No one can say what your chances are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Well, you definitely won't be interviewed for the English DPhil, because the English faculty doesn't interview graduate applicants.
    Yes I know, but the faculty of Modern Langages does, and UCL as well.

(Original post by poi12)
    Uh...

Some programmes interview everyone; some interview those whom genuinely interest them. No one can say what your chances are.
    I was hoping for information from people who would know about usual policies in the departments I applied to.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd have to ask the respective faculties what their admissions statistics are. You have to assume that the interviews are used to discriminate but I don't think any one person on here, with experience or not, would be able to tell you how typical that experience was of faculty policy...:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    but interviews themselves: do they aim at further selection between successful applicants -- and if they do, what would be one's chances of getting in at this stage -- or is it more like a necessary preliminary conversation meant to make sure that you are as good as your application?
    Tbh it could be both and none of us will ever find out! They could as Ilex has said, be a way of discriminating against applicants. Or they could be a way of choosing the best students out of a pile.

I know for History & AHRC funding at both King's and UCL, they shortlist the best candidates and then interview them to decide who gets funding etc (but that's on the basis they've been accepted to the department). So you could argue that if you've been offered an interview, they possibly want you more than those who have been rejected. But, it could be a 'let's interview as we're not sure' interview. For all we know they may well have chosen the applicant(s) that they want, it's just that the interview's a formality.

I've got one in a couple of weeks and I'm not entirely sure how to take it. I'll find out soon

I guess the big thing is that if you have got an interview don't waste it. So few places interview for the Humanities/Arts subjects these days so make sure you shine!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies, I guess I shouldn't try to reassure myself with speculations before having actually been invited for an interview. Plus the ML faculty at Oxford is unclear about whether or not they do interview EU applicants...

And apotoftea, best of luck with your interview! Which uni are you going to? Do you have an offer yet?

ReputationRep:
    And apotoftea, best of luck with your interview! Which uni are you going to? Do you have an offer yet?
    Thank you - this one's slightly different as it's a PhD studentship, so if (and it's a big if) I get offered it - I get the only place and the funding.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.