Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I should be studying physics next year at manchester (looking forward to it!)
    While I understand that my main objective while I'm there is to get a good degree, I am going to try and minimise the debt I come out with. Thus I'm planning to get a job, I'm not really going to be picky with what it is I'm doing. Hopefully then I can use as much as possible of any grants that I get to put towards tuition fees.
    I'm not being unrealistic, I know I wont be able to use 100% of my grants on this, but I'm thinking that it would be nice to at least use some of that money to help pay them.

What I was wondering, is how many hours would a typical university student (in my situation) work a week? And would a typical uni student working in say a bar or shop (etc etc) get paid minimum wage or more?

thanks =]

ReputationRep:
    If you work smart you could get a good grade while studying for around 35 hours a week. Many can do it on less, but Physics isn't a particularly blaggable subject.

If you were to work, say, three nights in a bar a week, at 4 hours a night, and £7 an hour, you'd be taking home £84 a week. Over the course of 30 weeks of term time that's about £2500, which is enough to offset some of the debt without wrecking your degree or social life.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.