Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I've been given an interview day for Lancaster, which I have to admit I'm a little worried about. Lancaster is looking more and more likely to be my top choice but with me only doing an Access Course I'm worried a lot of it will rest on this day.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it more of a group interview? As my friend has been given the same date and he doesn't seem to know quite what to expect too.

Also, anyone who's had any experience with the degree would be great! Would like to hear some personal opinions on the Physics side at Lancaster! That would be great! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Its highly informal..

turn up, talk about department, tour of department, tour of local bit of the uni including accomodation, short [~5-10 min] 'interview with a lecturer of the departmnet... and by interview, informal chat is a for more descriptive way of putting it.... along with food and general chat to staff and students..

maybe not in that order, but thats what the day generally consists of...
    what is an access course? i take it you did physics a while ago?

you spend most of the first year 'catching up' so its a very quick review of alot of physics if 5 week modules that cover some area of physics, so as long as you have your head screwed on, if you did this all a couple of years ago, and have 'forgotten' spme stuff it will soon come back..

hope that helped..
    feel free to ask more questions if needed.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Athamas. The Access to HE Course is a quick track course to University, I cover much of the core Physics and Maths AS/A2 Modules but not in the standard 2 year procedure, and I do in 1 year (Actually, it's more like 6 months as you spend the first 3 months recapping level 2 work, such as GCSE Standard work which to me felt like a waste of time now I'm being bombarded by Level 3 work so fast)

Fortunately however I got in contact with the Physics Admissions and explained my personal circumstance, as I have already visited the University too previously I decided to ask him what the best course of action would be. He recommended me for an Offer which was better news than I expected! Just now need to find out what grades I need, so far I'm getting distinctions in everything so if this continues I shouldn't have a problem really!

Thanks again for replying, Was good to hear more about the Course. Are you studying a similar degree at Lancaster? Or elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    I took physics at lancaster a few years ago, now a post grad in the engineering department.. so i have fairly recent experience of lancaster physics...

glad you got an offer, grades for alevel are usually around ABB for the masters course..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Would that date happen to be 18th Feb btw? cos my physics interview is then.

ReputationRep:
    they hold them almost every thursday of this term so.. :P

ReputationRep:
    Mine was the 18th of March, but luckily I've been offered a place anyway now.

I hope they only want Merits though, would take a bit of pressure off as one wrong answer can take you down to below a distinction anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I just did mine on the 4th. It's really informal and I think everyone who gets to that stage is given an offer...

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I was led to believe attending wasn't required... Am currently in a pretty dire financial situation so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forwen)
    Ugh, I was led to believe attending wasn't required... Am currently in a pretty dire financial situation so...
    I didn't attend.

If it's for Physics send the Admissions tutor an E-mail explaining your circumstance, was very similar to me but I'd fortunately been around the Uni before too so I'm not sure if that played any role in it.

Can't help but ask him about it =]

ReputationRep:
    Wooooo, I've got mine this week, and I was getting a bit worried but I feel much better about it now. Glad to know it's pretty informal

ReputationRep:
    How was the Post Grad interview? Can you share your Experience? Questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firefox123)
    How was the Post Grad interview? Can you share your Experience? Questions?
    Thanks for bumping up a 6 year old thread. :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Thanks for bumping up a 6 year old thread. :lol:
    That's impressive...and they didn't even ask something relevant to the thread - PG and UG interviews are totally different!

I'm somewhat amused that I posted in this thread the first time around, did my interview, got the place, accepted the place, started the degree, finished the degree, started my masters, finished my masters, took a year out and started my PhD between my first and second posts on this thread!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.