ReputationRep:
    I am planning on taking either 4 or 5 AS Levels from the following:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Physics
    English Language
    Geography

I already made up my mind on taking Maths, Further Maths & Physics, but I'm trying to make up my mind on the 4th. A teacher gave me advise on taking 5 just in case I don't like the teacher or I find one of them hard so I can drop it after a few weeks. Should I?

What would you pick as the 4th subject from my list?
    Should I take 5 just in case?
    && what career path would I be able to follow if I pick these subjects?

Sorry for all the questions, any advise will be helpful.
    thank you. (:

ReputationRep:
    1) dont listen to any teacher - they all told me degree would be easier than a-level - utter crap!
    2) 3 is all you need, take 4 if you really want to, dont waste time taking 5.
    3) from your list, personally i would only do three subjects maths,furthermaths, physics. if i had to do another id go for chemistry (but its not on your list)
    4) dont think about careers at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I do Geography and English Language so any questions about them courses just ask I started off with five subjects and I think that's a good idea because you don't have to catch up on any work if you join a subject late because you didn't like the other, I personally would take English Language because I enjoy it more but I think geography would go better with your other subject choices.

As for future careers judging by your subject choices there are alot of career paths you could follow

If you have any more questions just ask!x

ReputationRep:
    Take at least one humanity to keep your options open OP

I'd take Maths, Physics, Economics and English Language probably. If you want to take five, add Geography. If you want to take Further Maths, then I'd replace Economics in my little list!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Mullen)
    1) dont listen to any teacher - they all told me degree would be easier than a-level - utter crap!
    3) from your list, personally i would only do three subjects maths,furthermaths, physics. if i had to do another id go for chemistry (but its not on your list)
    The college I am applying requires at least 4 AS Levels + General Studies.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore this person- it is important to take four subjects because a lot of unis ask for 3 A Levels + a fourth as. :rolleyes: However, I would agree that five is unnecessary but it is good if you're undecided. You can always drop one, after all (which is what I did )

Maths and Further Maths is sometimes not considered as two distinct A Levels but I don't know how true/far reaching that is.

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Physics
    Geography

Perfect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by photograph_eachday)
    I am planning on taking either 4 or 5 AS Levels from the following:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Physics
    English Language
    Geography

I already made up my mind on taking Maths, Further Maths & Physics, but I'm trying to make up my mind on the 4th. A teacher gave me advise on taking 5 just in case I don't like the teacher or I find one of them hard so I can drop it after a few weeks. Should I?

What would you pick as the 4th subject from my list?
    Should I take 5 just in case?
    && what career path would I be able to follow if I pick these subjects?

Sorry for all the questions, any advise will be helpful.
    thank you. (:
    It really depends what you intend to do with your life. I realise that it can be difficult at this stage to see clearly what you want to do so I would recommend a varied academic choice. Geography or economics as your 4th choice will give you a strong application for whatever course you choose in the future, whether it be arts or sciences. However, don't forget that you will be taking on a significant workload.

Good Luck.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aura1947)
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    Physics
    Geography

Perfect!
    This. Plus General Studies as it's compulsory at your school.
    Drop 1 later if you can't cope the workload/hate the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leto)
    Ignore this person- it is important to take four subjects because a lot of unis ask for 3 A Levels + a fourth as. :rolleyes: However, I would agree that five is unnecessary but it is good if you're undecided. You can always drop one, after all (which is what I did )

Maths and Further Maths is sometimes not considered as two distinct A Levels but I don't know how true/far reaching that is.
    No they dont ask for an extra as, they maybe wouldnt mind seeing it, but most unis dont care what it is or what grade it is or whether you have one. they only want to see three A-level grades. as are worthless in my opinion. crap.

doing 5 a levels is stupid unless you are attempting to impress the vice chancellor at oxford

ReputationRep:
    The college I am applying requires at least 4 AS Levels + General Studies.
    where is that??? any uni asking for general studies is still living in the 1980's

ReputationRep:
    Woooo I do Mtahs, Physics and English language

I would start off with 5 AS levels if I were you. Out of those, I would take Geography and English Language. Really depends what you want to do at uni though

ReputationRep:
    where is that??? any uni asking for general studies is still living in the 1980's
    She said 'college', not 'uni'.

ReputationRep:
    She said 'college', not 'uni'.
    well why is a college asking for A-level grades? they must think they are a university. anyway, still asking for general studies is a bit old fashioned.

ReputationRep:
    well why is a college asking for A-level grades? they must think they are a university. anyway, still asking for general studies is a bit old fashioned.
    what? I'm talking about what to take for AS...

ReputationRep:
    She was stating the criteria set by her college.

Like, my college requires that the students select at least 3 AS Levels + General Paper.

Get it?

ReputationRep:
    what? I'm talking about what to take for AS...
    yes and im telling you its odd for a college to be asking for A-levels - they are not universities! however they may be offering some sort of wierd diploma type stuff that isnt a proper degree.

ReputationRep:
    She was stating the criteria set by her college.

Like, my college requires that the students select at least 3 AS Levels + General Paper.

Get it?
    oh right, well i thought she put ''requires'' which is different to ''they want people to take''
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The only reason to take 5 is for love of the subjects, or just for a few weeks if you're really split over two choices...so first think about whether you're in either of those situations
    Personally I'd make English or Geography my fourth choice, didn't do geography myself (never really appealed to me) but for those who enjoy it (which I'm assuming you do if you want to choose it :p: ) it looks like it can be a really enjoyable subject. Same with English, and an essay subject adds a bit of variety, and keeps the communication skills doing :giggle:
    Economics with those four looks like it could be a bit stodgy...unless it's something you really have a passion for, not what I would recommend, unless that's the case.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    oh right, well i thought she put ''requires'' which is different to ''they want people to take''
    Which is different again to 'require students to undertake'...which is what the OP meant :giggle:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.