Turn on thread page Beta

What evidence are there that supports the Evolution Theory?? watch

ReputationRep:
    What evidence are there that supports the evolution theory other than Darwin's finches... and fossils that are found(horses)??
    thanks everyone

please don't give too difficult evidence :confused: that i won't be able to understand... i'm a GCSE student :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There's the peppered moths experiment by Bernard Kettlewell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N!*)
    There's the peppered moths experiment by Bernard Kettlewell.
    You mean the one where he stuck some moths to tree trunks? Maybe the gill slits on the embryo's? Oh wait that was a fraud discovered 100 years ago oO. Piltdown Man? Oh that was a fraud as well. So many frauds :eek3:

I'm intrigued to know what evidence there is to show that one kind of animal can turn into another, not dog to wolf etc...Ape to Ape Man to Human. Any kind of increase in information would be great evidence for evolution and also anything to shed light on the DNA/Protein issue.

General Theory of Evolution can't include the likes of germs mutating, as they actually lose information each time. Finches doesn't show evolution just adaptation to environment mixed with some natural selection with no increase in information, just variation. Any variation within a species is generally not part of the general theory of evolution (Its only interested in the big changes with an increase in information).

If you got a good imagination, or have had a story told to you so many times. Evolution does sound convincing, but its just a story that revolves around some fossils and how they think we might of got here from non living matter, which originated from a tiny dot. Mixed in with some highly interpretative evidence along with the use of umm, lets call it origin science whereas you have to guess...alot.

Although I don't count evolution out, I think scientists need to start from scratch and reanalyze the evidence. Remove the highly bias research being done, and maybe just maybe we can start to work towards a GOOD theory of origin....Maybe Aliens?

I guarantee many on here, will try to argue that we can observe macro evolution (General Theory), it has NEVER been observed and no evidence has been found to support it. Its all about bias educated guesses and story telling based on layers the rock were found in. Genetics offers no evidence supportive of evolution, instead negative evidence.

Others will argue that Evolution doesn't deal with origins, others will argue variation is part of the general theory of evolution and proves it. Wrong! General Theory of Evolution hypothesises how we evolved over millions of years from a common ancestor AKA one of the first single cell bacteria, and we came from bacteria to fish to amphibian etc all the way to a human. Without even considering the probability or even the feasibility of a single cell forming from non living matter, let alone that single cell becoming more complex...Only evidence showing an increase in information via mutation etc. Would be huge evidence for evolution. Transitional fossil would be a good piece of evidence as well, shame about Eda last year and the dozens before that.

General Theory of Evolution, the belief that nothing became everything. With absolutely no direct evidence at all, yet lots of nice stories . *WARNING* Requires more faith than a Christian requires to believe in God.

acedei, the OP needs help with their biology work (homework?), not... whatever that is.

And doesn't the peppered moths experiment prove natural selection?

ReputationRep:
    You need help from Ross from friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovmaths)
    What evidence are there that supports the evolution theory other than Darwin's finches... and fossils that are found(horses)??
    thanks everyone

please don't give too difficult evidence :confused: that i won't be able to understand... i'm a GCSE student :rolleyes:
    Don't really see acedei's point, but I strongly disagree that there is no evidence for evolution. He/she seems rather well informed on the topic which is why i'm slightly concerned that they have such a uncommon opinion. Perhaps if they would explain a little further their input would be more useful- i'm genuinely interested why anyone would think such a thing.

Anyway, microbiology seems a good example of evolution. MRSA is a superbug, which has evolved, via natural selection, to be resistant to many anti-biotics. Swine flu is also perhaps a interesting example to put in- the possibility of it evolving/mutating to become spreadable via human to human is of major concern to... well everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acedei)
    You mean the one where he stuck some moths to tree trunks? Maybe the gill slits on the embryo's? Oh wait that was a fraud discovered 100 years ago oO. Piltdown Man? Oh that was a fraud as well. So many frauds :eek3:

I'm intrigued to know what evidence there is to show that one kind of animal can turn into another, not dog to wolf etc...Ape to Ape Man to Human. Any kind of increase in information would be great evidence for evolution and also anything to shed light on the DNA/Protein issue.

General Theory of Evolution can't include the likes of germs mutating, as they actually lose information each time. Finches doesn't show evolution just adaptation to environment mixed with some natural selection with no increase in information, just variation. Any variation within a species is generally not part of the general theory of evolution (Its only interested in the big changes with an increase in information).

If you got a good imagination, or have had a story told to you so many times. Evolution does sound convincing, but its just a story that revolves around some fossils and how they think we might of got here from non living matter, which originated from a tiny dot. Mixed in with some highly interpretative evidence along with the use of umm, lets call it origin science whereas you have to guess...alot.

Although I don't count evolution out, I think scientists need to start from scratch and reanalyze the evidence. Remove the highly bias research being done, and maybe just maybe we can start to work towards a GOOD theory of origin....Maybe Aliens?

I guarantee many on here, will try to argue that we can observe macro evolution (General Theory), it has NEVER been observed and no evidence has been found to support it. Its all about bias educated guesses and story telling based on layers the rock were found in. Genetics offers no evidence supportive of evolution, instead negative evidence.

Others will argue that Evolution doesn't deal with origins, others will argue variation is part of the general theory of evolution and proves it. Wrong! General Theory of Evolution hypothesises how we evolved over millions of years from a common ancestor AKA one of the first single cell bacteria, and we came from bacteria to fish to amphibian etc all the way to a human. Without even considering the probability or even the feasibility of a single cell forming from non living matter, let alone that single cell becoming more complex...Only evidence showing an increase in information via mutation etc. Would be huge evidence for evolution. Transitional fossil would be a good piece of evidence as well, shame about Eda last year and the dozens before that.

General Theory of Evolution, the belief that nothing became everything. With absolutely no direct evidence at all, yet lots of nice stories . *WARNING* Requires more faith than a Christian requires to believe in God.
    ....... that made my day.

And, I'm only going to respond to one point, and that is your origin of life. I suggest you read up on Mr Friedrich Wohler and destruction of the "Vital Force" theory. I forgot to add, Abiogenesis and Evolution are two different theories.

ReputationRep:

Also, I'm intrigued, please point me to the study that proved that Pharyngeal Slits on embryos are a fraud.

And, people knew that Piltdown man was a known as a fraud as early as 1953. No evolutionary biologist would use it as an example of evolution.

ReputationRep:
    Genetics, DNA, fossils are just a fraction of the evidence.

Read 'The Greatest Show On Earth' by Richard Dawkins. Lots and lots of evidence presented complex enough to have lots of detail but not simple enough to be patronising

ReputationRep:
    OP, have a gander through this http://www.nature.com/nature/newspdf/evolutiongems.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fretter778)
    Read 'The Greatest Show On Earth' by Richard Dawkins. Lots and lots of evidence presented complex enough to have lots of detail but not simple enough to be patronising
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovmaths)
    thanks everyone

Most parts of evolution theory is pure logic but the rest is very shady. The truth is there are many unanswered questions and scientist and the mainstream media act like it's all been proven. The whole point Darwin was getting to was to discredit creationism, his book was called " the Origins Of Species":eek: Yet no one can say how life originated. Also, many so called scientists carry out experiments to prove Darwin's theory which is a clear bias.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    acedei, the OP needs help with their biology work (homework?), not... whatever that is.

And doesn't the peppered moths experiment prove natural selection?
    Doesn't natural selection lead to evolution though?

If not, what's the difference between natural selection, evolution and adaptation?

ReputationRep:

There is plenty of proof on the theory of evolution, i know this as i have recently had to do an assignment on it for college. First of all there is Jean-Baptise Lamarck who's theory was the inheritance of acquired trait, evidence for this includes giraffes. Then there is Gregor Mendal who experimented on peas to show there inherited traits. Then obviously Charles Darwin as you mentioned. Although there was a lot of debates about Darwins theory at first because of lack of evidence it has been proved over the last century. This is know as neo-Darwinism,things that it shows that Darwin was missing include the age of the Earth, Plate tectonics & continetial drift, the absence of missing links, modern research includinmg D.N.A finger printing and cladistics.

ReputationRep:

You are deeply misinformed. It's sad how indoctrinated you are. There's oodles of evidence available. Have a read of these websites, and try and read them with an open mind.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-...o-biology.html <-- An intro to evolution.
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/ <-- 29 Evidences for macroevolution.
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html <-- Observed instances of speciation.
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/molgen/ <-- Page on evidence from the field of molecular genetics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))

If not, what's the difference between natural selection, evolution and adaptation?
    Natural selection can lead to Divergent Evolution, but there is also Convergent and Parallel evolution.

Adaptation can be performed on a species specific level, with each organism "activating" different genes to suit a different environment. It could lead to different species forming if later down the line. Basically, they may have the same genotype, but they could have a different phenotype.

(Original post by Kash:))

I thought natural selection led to speciation?

I can't really answer your question, I stopped biology after my GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    OP you could check out

http://www.newscientist.com/topic/evolution

New Scientist pitches material at all levels of study, so you might well find something interesting in there!

On an unrelated note:

his book was called " the Origins Of Species" Yet no one can say how life originated.
    Evolution doesn't say how life originated, merely how it changes with time. The origin of species isn't the same as the origin of life.

ReputationRep:
    What people need to remember is that Evolution as a theory still needs refining. And it's good when different theories are brought forward, as it constantly makes us rethink and refine.

This is a good one, and has caused a lot of controversy.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20....full.pdf+html

ReputationRep:

General Theory of Evolution can't include the likes of germs mutating, as they actually lose information each time. Finches doesn't show evolution just adaptation to environment mixed with some natural selection with no increase in information, just variation.
    adaptation + natural selection = evolution...you douche

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 19, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.