Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Acedei is a prick. There is a ridiculous amount of evidence to support evolution, including all kinds of fossil archives showing a gradual process of organisms becoming a little bit different to the one that came before, which is a little bit different to the one that came before that and so on.

The fact that we share so many characteristics with other animals in itself shows that we most likely had a common ancestor. Check this out for example; the structure of the pentadactyl limb, a body part common to so many verterbrates:
    http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/r...volution15.asp They often like that in exams on evolution questions.

The fact that grey squirrels are driving British red squirrels out is even evolution in action, one organism has a certain instinct or characteristic over another which allows it to survive at the expense of the other. It all makes a lot of sense; if you kill off one animal then another one with genes that allow it to survive the same conditions is clearly going to live on to pass these genes to offspring. As the environment itself changes so does the characteristics required to survive and therefore something else will die out and another organism will survive to pass on its genes and so on.

(Original post by lovmaths)
    What evidence are there that supports the evolution theory other than Darwin's finches... and fossils that are found(horses)??
    thanks everyone

please don't give too difficult evidence :confused: that i won't be able to understand... i'm a GCSE student :rolleyes:
    There's an article on wikipedia about evolution which is written in a less technical style than most of wikipedia's other articles. It has a section on evidence for evolution. You can find it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_evolution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    Most parts of evolution theory is pure logic but the rest is very shady. The truth is there are many unanswered questions and scientist and the mainstream media act like it's all been proven. The whole point Darwin was getting to was to discredit creationism, his book was called " the Origins Of Species":eek: Yet no one can say how life originated. Also, many so called scientists carry out experiments to prove Darwin's theory which is a clear bias.
    Read "origin of species" as "origin of speciation"

Darwin never included how life may have originated in his works.

ReputationRep:
    Most parts of evolution theory is pure logic but the rest is very shady. The truth is there are many unanswered questions and scientist and the mainstream media act like it's all been proven. The whole point Darwin was getting to was to discredit creationism, his book was called " the Origins Of Species":eek: Yet no one can say how life originated. Also, many so called scientists carry out experiments to prove Darwin's theory which is a clear bias.
    You're a prospective Medicine student, and you come up with this ****? You should be ashamed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waterinabottle)
    You're a prospective Medicine student, and you come up with this ****? You should be ashamed.
    Ashamed?? Your despicable. Tell me in what way evolution theory anything has to do with medicine? I guess with your idiotic logic, one has to be an atheist to become a doctor. YOU SHOULD BE QUIET.

ReputationRep:
    Ashamed?? Your despicable. Tell me in what way evolution theory anything has to do with medicine? I guess with your idiotic logic, one has to be an atheist to become a doctor. YOU SHOULD BE QUIET.
    Evolutionary theory is a primary aspect of Biology. If you cannot accept the "theory" of how an organism adapted to its present state, then you should not be a doctor.

Personally, I wouldn't want some loony doctor who not only refuses to accept one of the most important discoveries in regards to our adaptations, but also one who believes in the big man in the sky.

And evolution does not equal atheism, you idiot. Many Vatican priests accept natural selection as a means of speciation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.